yconic - Ivey vs Queen's Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey vs Queen's Commerce

A photo of ivey15 ivey15
Pros? Cons?

?!?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
34 replies

A photo of waazup waazup
Good thread. I also want to find out as these two are my top choices. But they are ridiculously expensive, both ending up robbing you by at least $80K on res. Usually around $95K is what they will take..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Don't know too much details about these schools considering I haven't gone to them, or even researched them for that matter.

[size=7]
Ivey:
[/size]
One of the best business schools in Canada

Nice campus life

Heard a fair amount of students get internships at Goldman Sachs, etc.

Expensive

You're getting an HBA. Go to a different country and no one will even know what that probably is

Many people will agree that it's the best school for becoming an investment banker (But remember, if you're truly set on becoming one, you could become one from any any university in this country)
[size=7]
Queens:[/size]

Also one of the best business schools in Canada

Prestegious

As expensive as Ivey

Terrible location, Kingston

That's all I really got. I'm in Grade 11 with a small amount of knowledge on this matter, hopefully someone more knowledgable can help you out.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15

@Gucci wrote
Don't know too much details about these schools considering I haven't gone to them, or even researched them for that matter.

[size=7]
Ivey:
[/size]
One of the best business schools in Canada

Nice campus life

Heard a fair amount of students get internships at Goldman Sachs, etc.

Expensive

You're getting an HBA. Go to a different country and no one will even know what that probably is

Many people will agree that it's the best school for becoming an investment banker (But remember, if you're truly set on becoming one, you could become one from any any university in this country)
[size=7]
Queens:[/size]

Also one of the best business schools in Canada

Prestegious

As expensive as Ivey

Terrible location, Kingston

That's all I really got. I'm in Grade 11 with a small amount of knowledge on this matter, hopefully someone more knowledgable can help you out.

you are so wrong on so many levels.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
The search button is your friend.

Here's a recent one:
http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3021

Also, check out this fantastic Queen's vs Ivey comparison
http://bulletpointed.com/business/the-great-debate-ivey-vs-queens-commerce/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@ivey15 wrote

you are so wrong on so many levels.

so you ask for the pros and cons only to tell people they're wrong? clearly insecure. most of my points were correct. Both schools are expensive and both are the top in the country.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15

@Alizarin wrote

Here's a recent one:

Joel - Queen's Commerce grad (biased)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ivey15 wrote

@Alizarin wrote

Here's a recent one:

Studentawards - little high school kids who don't know ****.

You asked for pros and cons, and people are trying to help you with some valid points. What's your problem?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@Alizarin wrote
You asked for pros and cons, and people are trying to help you with some valid points. What's your problem?

Here's what I think. Judging by his name, he's probably attending or going to attend Ivey. He hops on these forums to make threads about his school in attempt to witness as much positive facts about the school he is going to attend as possible. Whenever he sees somebody post something like an HBA is usless, or, you can become an investment banker from any university, he get's worked up. Why? because he wants to have the satisfaction of going to Ivey, he doesn't want to hear those other facts because those other facts make him realize that people going to Ryerson can accomplish the exact same things as the people going to Ivey.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@Gucci wrote

@Alizarin wrote

Here's what I think. Judging by his name, he's probably attending or going to attend Ivey. He hops on these forums to make threads about his school in attempt to witness as much positive facts about the school he is going to attend as possible. Whenever he sees somebody post something like an HBA is usless, or, you can become an investment banker from any university, he get's worked up. Why? because he wants to have the satisfaction of going to Ivey, he doesn't want to hear those other facts because those other facts make him realize that people going to Ryerson can accomplish the exact same things as the people going to Ivey.

I am sorry but you are wrong on many many levels.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@AZK wrote

@Gucci wrote

@Alizarin wrote

I am sorry but you are wrong on many many levels.

Ok, an HBA might not be useless, But it isn't internationally known. You can become an investment banker after graduating from Ryerson. Yes, you can also as successful as an Ivey graduate.

If you don't think so, you've got serious complexes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@Gucci wrote

Ok, an HBA might not be useless, But it isn't internationally known. You can become an investment banker after graduating from Ryerson.

even though I do not like to promote or demote schools, but according to wallstreetoasis Ivey is the place to be for IB in Canada. Ryerson is non-existent for IB placements and I do mean 0.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@AZK wrote

@Gucci wrote

Ok, an HBA might not be useless, But it isn't internationally known. You can become an investment banker after graduating from Ryerson.

even though I do not like to promote or demote schools, but according to wallstreetoasis Ivey is the place to be for IB in Canada. Ryerson is non-existent for IB placements and I do mean 0.

Although the school you're graduating from plays a HUGE role in determining if you can actually become an investment banker or not, any top student at Ryerson can become an investment banker if he net works properly.

Do you honestly think it's impossible to become an investment banker when you're at Ryerson?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@Gucci wrote

Do you honestly think it's impossible to become an investment banker when you're at Ryerson?

Horrible track record of 0 in USA BBs (straight from UG), sure its possible but not worth the effort (networking is not easy, unless your family is well connected...but if thats the case it doesn't matter where you go).

-I am sure there are many Ryerson graduates in IB, however their numbers straight from undergraduate are horrible. It will be much easier trying a bit harder in high school and going to Ivey.

Ryerson is a great school, but it is not close to a target school for IB. Even Ivey is second or third tier in the IB game, Wharton is WIN...XD

-Go kill your SATs and PIMP out godly ECs, and FIND amazing references. Wharton is definitely a possibility if you try hard enough. If I were given the possibility of going back in time, I would definitely aim for Wharton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@AZK wrote

@Gucci wrote

Horrible track record of 0 in USA BBs (straight from UG), sure its possible but not worth the effort (networking is not easy, unless your family is well connected...but if thats the case it doesn't matter where you go).

-I am sure there are many Ryerson graduates in IB, however their numbers straight from undergraduate are horrible. It will be much easier trying a bit harder in high school and going to Ivey.

Ryerson is a great school, but it is not close to a target school for IB. Even Ivey is second or third tier in the IB game, Wharton is WIN...XD

-Go kill your SATs and PIMP out godly ECs, and FIND amazing references. Wharton is definitely a possibility if you try hard enough. If I were given the possibility of going back in time, I would definitely aim for Wharton.

Wharton huh?

I'm aiming for Laurier, maybe Rotman.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Gucci, why not Ivey, Schulich, Queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@ivey15 wrote
Studentawards - little high school kids who don't know crap.

Let me get this straight:
- You don't want the opinions of people who have gone to Queen's or Ivey because their opinions are biased
- You don't want the opinions of people on StudentAwards... but you are posing this question to the people on StudentAwards

What exactly are you looking for by making this topic?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thatguy Thatguy

@lemony wrote

@ivey15 wrote

- You don't want the opinions of people who have gone to Queen's or Ivey because their opinions are biased
- You don't want the opinions of people on StudentAwards... but you are posing this question to the people on StudentAwards

Lol Ivey15 dude is hilarious. and good question btw ^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@waazup wrote
Gucci, why not Ivey, Schulich, Queens?

Schulich might be considered.

I'm not interested in Ivey or Queens mainly because of their location, which sounds kind of silly I know. Also, I don't have wealthy parents. I'm below middle class, and honestly, I'd get no financial support if I went to Queens or Ivey. I can work, but I don't want to drowned with debt.

I still might consider Ivey Queens or Schulich, but that also depends on what kind of grades I finish high school with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@lemony wrote

@ivey15 wrote

As I said earlier, satisfaction. He's got complexes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
ivey15 for president!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
I beg u all to stop starting threads on school x vs school y...
Just do ur research and don't let others opinions affect ur thinking
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@mercenary wrote
I beg u all to stop starting threads on school x vs school y...
Just do ur research and don't let others opinions affect ur thinking

+ ∞
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dynast dynast
Humans are hierarchical beings, it's how life works.
There will always be rivalry and dispute over "top" schools or "top anythings" in general.

Having said that... as a current university student (in neither school), these are my impressions haven spoken to many Ivey students and a few QC students. I'll only point out a few features I believe distinguish Ivey because their approach is significantly different than most business schools.

Ivey
1) Case-based (close to 100%)- this means almost the entire curriculum is based upon business cases written by Ivey professors or licensed from other "top" business schools (Tuck, Ross, Harvard). Ivey really promotes this method because it "mimics" real world situations where the decision maker (you) is under pressure to come to a conclusion based on incomplete facts. Students participate in roughly 200-300 cases/year on a daily basis. Apparently, this teaches students to think using a "framework" approach in tackling a variety of problems. A pro is that it's "active" learning as opposed to "passive" listening. Note that students who prefer textbook based self-study or traditional lectures may not be a good fit.

2) General Management - Ivey is an accelerated second-entry, 2 year business program. Students come from all backgrounds (science, communications, arts, social sciences) with diverse experiences. As a result of the diversity, Ivey focuses on training students for broad management of firms, corporations - organizations in general. There is a major focus on leadership in strategy and management. However, unless a student is highly motivated and passionate about a specific technical field (S&T, accounting), you won't be learning the specifics in most classes unless you really focus your electives.

In general,

Go to Ivey if you
1) Like Western/London
2) You want to study something other than business for your first 2 years in university
3) Enjoy cases, practical learning, high class interaction
4) Are all-rounded and value a cross-disciplinary approach to solving problems
5) Plan on exploring ECs in your first 2 years then cutting back a few in Ivey
6) Want to leverage connections with the finance industry via their alumni

Go to QC if you
1) Like Queens/Kingston
2) Know you want to study business out of high school
3) Enjoy a blend of traditional lectures supplemented with cases and projects
4) Want to take part in international exchanges in your upper years
5) Plan on being very involved in business ECs and competitions throughout 4 years
6) Value technical knowledge on specific fields (Accounting, Marketing, IT)

Take everything you hear with some grains of salt. These are just my perspectives and with all perspectives, there is bias. Do what you feel is right. Talk to their students. Talk to their faculty. Where can you see yourself in the next 4 years most?

Hope that helps somewhat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Great post dynast! :bounce:

Just curious though, if you don't mind me asking, which university/program are you currently studying at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dynast dynast
I'd rather not associate my university/program with my opinions, but I'm glad it helped. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0