yconic - Job prospects for sci major
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Job prospects for sci major

A photo of SDHN SDHN
Many people say that the job prospects with an undergrad life sci degree aren't good especially if you compare it to business or economics major. Sci majors are useful if you are planning to go to grad/med school. What do you guys think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Pay-wise, roughly the same as someone with a newly-minted arts degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
A bachelor of science or bachelor of arts degree, unless it is in a very specific field, isn't worth a whole lot these days. Almost everyone has a BA or BSc, so it has sort-of become the new high-school diploma - everyone has one and most jobs (unless you are looking at the trades) require one.

That's one of the many reasons I am in a professional program, that actually prepares me for a career. That's also why most of my friends are in professional programs - be it engineering, nursing, dietetics, or kinesiology.

There are some fields where you can get a good job with only a BSc (I'm told food science grads who specialize in food technology generally get hired right out of university, and computer science is still a good field to get into, there are other similar programs as well). If you are in a program with co-op, the work experience you get during co-op placements will help you find a job after graduation. But in general, talking to those who have recently graduated, just a generic BSc in something like life science isn't going to get you very far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
What catrunner says is 100% true. You'll need to upgrade your bachelors degree with graduate studies - or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metro metro
it's worth it to do graduate studies, if you passion is in science of course! (or else you shouldn't be applying for sciences in the first place)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
Economics undergrads don't do much better than life-science grads. Both require graduate degrees before entering the work place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sch18les Sch18les
If U dont get into med school or grad school, your degree is pretty much useless especially if its life sciences. There arent many Lab tec/Research jobs so study hard and keep a high gpa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SDHN SDHN

@Gorges26 wrote
What catrunner says is 100% true. You'll need to upgrade your bachelors degree with graduate studies - or something.

Do you think that a person with a masters degree in sci going to do as well as someone with an MBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of x711Li x711Li

@SDHN wrote

@Gorges26 wrote

Do you think that a person with a masters degree in sci going to do as well as someone with an MBA?

What do you mean? You can't simply quantify a relative measure such as success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@x711Li wrote

@SDHN wrote

@Gorges26 wrote

What do you mean? You can't simply quantify a relative measure such as success.

Relative to society's definition of what constitutes success, you certainly can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0