yconic - Join a Stock Market Game
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Join a Stock Market Game

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey!

There are a lot of business people on this forum, lots who want to get into IB, lots of smart people...

I thought it might be cool to have a Student Awards stock market simulation, to test everyone's "abilities".

I have created a group at Investopedia (sign up here). It's a fairly realistic simulation, close to real-time I think.

So if you are interested in joining, follow these steps:

1. Go to Investopedia
2. Sign up using your username on SA
3. Click joing a game (view more games)
4. Search 'Student Awards Group 1"
5. Click "Student Awards Group 1"
6. Password is "Scholar" (check caps)
7. Post that you joined here. If your username is different, post it here.
8. I am the "groupmaster", once enough people have joined, I will remove anyone who didn't post here or follow the instructions properly.
9. It will start April 1, unless I decide to make it earlier
10. If you have any concerns, email me at johnnycanuck@smartstocks.com or PM me here!

I think that is it! So get joining! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
39 replies

A photo of AZK AZK
I personally think that Investopedia has a much better platform and provides you with the option to trade "options".

Marketwatch is also good for stock only.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
I personally think that Investopedia has a much better and provides you with the option to trade "options".

Marketwatch is also good for stock only.

Changed it to an investopedia group. You are right, looks much better. Thanks for the suggestion!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I trade for real, but I don't like investing, but I will do it for fun via simulation. I'll sign up later tonight.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I have signed up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Joined.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There are only 4 people who have posted that they joined (Myself, mynameismattgotmlgo, GameTime, g93) and one other person who posted but didn't say they joined (AZK)......

But there is 6 people signed up ? :scratch: ? :scratch: ? :scratch: ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
I joined under the name AZK, I will be trading AZK as I named my SA account after that stock :D

AZK = Aurizon Mines Ltd. My favorite stock to day trade.

*for your stimulation is there a minimum percentage we have to diversify? and did you enable options?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I have joined.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good to see some more people joining! Although there is 6 people that posted they joined and 8 signed up :scratch: ???

Anyways, I will post the game settings. If you have any questions, suggestions, etc. post here or email me, w e.

Game Details

Student Awards Group 1
Game Type: Private
Number of players: 8
Starting Cash: $1,000,000.00 USDMargin Trading: Yes
Short Selling Yes
Options Trading: YesGame Rules (More Info)
Start Date: 4/1/2011 - End date: No End Date
Allow Late Entry: Yes
Allow Trade History Viewing: Yes
Allow Portfolio Viewing: Yes
Allow Portfolio Resetting: No
Market Delay: 20 Minutes
Daily Volume: 10%
Option Daily Volume: 25%
Quick Sell: 15 Minutes
Minimum Price: $1.00
Minimun Price Short: $5.00
Margin Interest: 8%
Cash Interest: 1%
Commission - Market: $19.99
Commission - Limit: $29.99
Commission - Option: $19.99
Commission Per Contract: $1.75
Diversification: 50%
Diversification Option: 10%
Minimum Stock for Margin: $5.00

efault settings, I don't think I changed anything. Let me know what you think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ A mil? Nice :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
^ A mil? Nice :bounce:

Yeah, thought the extra money may be fun to have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What does a daily volume of 10% mean? I have to trade at least 10% of my portfolio daily? Or does that mean that you can only invest/trade stocks that trade more than 10% of the float on an average day?

EDIT: Also, a delay of 20 minutes will make things interesting, considering you can easily get real-time quotes on Yahoo Finance. If I see that a stock is worth $20 at this instant but was worth $10 twenty minutes ago, I'm obviously going to buy that stock right now (at $10). Too bad it wasn't that easy in real life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
What does a daily volume of 10% mean? I have to trade at least 10% of my portfolio daily? Or does that mean that you can only invest/trade stocks that trade more than 10% of the float on an average day?

EDIT: Also, a delay of 20 minutes will make things interesting, considering you can easily get real-time quotes on Yahoo Finance. If I see that a stock is worth $20 at this instant but was worth $10 twenty minutes ago, I'm obviously going to buy that stock right now (at $10). Too bad it wasn't that easy in real life.

Daily Volume: "The maximum tradable volume as a percentage of the real daily volume."

So do you like the delay of 20 minutes or not? There is quite the leeway on all of these.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

Yahoo Finance is not real time there is a 10-15 min delay depending on the exchange
-your plan will not work out well, as stock prices do not fluctuate that much in a short period
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it just me or does that definition not make any sense? Maximum tradable volume would not be a percentage of real daily volume. Well it could be, but it would be > 100%. As it is phrased, that would mean 10% "daily volume" means the maximum tradable volume is 10% of the real daily volume, which makes no sense, unless an average share is traded ten times a day. Even highly day-traded stocks see no where near that sort of turnover. I'd imagine that they mean to say, "real daily volume as a percentage of maximum tradable volume," i.e (real daily volume/float) x 100%. That makes sense, but 10% would be a very high value. 1% is typical of most large cap stocks. 10% would limit you to only very few stocks. 0.5% is more realistic. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding?

Ideally, there'd be no delay, but that's unrealistic. Oh well, some of us will be able to get simulation rich by what could almost be considered "temporal" arbitrage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

Is it just me or does that definition not make any sense? Maximum tradable volume would not be a percentage of real daily volume. Well it could be, but it would be > 100%. As it is phrased, that would mean 10% "daily volume" means the maximum tradable volume is 10% of the real daily volume, which makes no sense, unless an average share is traded ten times a day. Even highly day-traded stocks see no where near that sort of turnover. I'd imagine that they mean to say, "real daily volume as a percentage of maximum tradable volume," i.e (real daily volume/float) x 100%. That makes sense, but 10% would be a very high value. 1% is typical of most large cap stocks. 10% would limit you to only very few stocks. 0.5% is more realistic. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding?

Ideally, there'd be no delay, but that's unrealistic. Oh well, some of us will be able to get simulation rich by what could almost be considered "temporal" arbitrage.

I don't know about the daily volume part, but for the latter I doubt you can get stock to fill that fast.

There there is also a delay when you purchase stocks, but the time you are able to fill the order the stock price might be nowhere near the price you saw before. I'd just speculate with limit orders.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
Yahoo Finance is not real time there is a 10-15 min delay depending on the exchange
-your plan will not work out well, as stock prices do not fluctuate that much in a short period

No, Yahoo Finance provides a real-time price (which is actually delayed by about 10-15 seconds; the only way you can truly get a real-time price is to work in an exchange) and a price that is delayed by 15 minutes. If you go to YF right now, say for AZK, you'll see that it provides a "Last Trade" price, which is delayed by 15 minutes during market hours, and an "After Hours" price, which during market hours is a real-time quote.

The numbers I provided were just representative, but the difference is sizable on volatile stocks and, especially, leveraged ETFs at certain times intraday (e.g. 9:30-11AM and 2PM-4PM). With a leveraged ETF on margin, I could easily make 2% a day by exploiting the difference between real-time and delayed quotes. And I'd be rich in no time in the simulation market!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@AZK wrote

No, Yahoo Finance provides a real-time price (which is actually delayed by about 10-15 seconds; the only way you can truly get a real-time price is to work in an exchange) and a price that is delayed by 15 minutes. If you go to YF right now, say for AZK, you'll see that it provides a "Last Trade" price, which is delayed by 15 minutes during market hours, and an "After Hours" price, which during market hours is a real-time quote.

The numbers I provided were just representative, but the difference is sizable on volatile stocks and, especially, leveraged ETFs at certain times intraday (e.g. 9:30-11AM and 2PM-4PM). With a leveraged ETF on margin, I could easily make 2% a day by exploiting the difference between real-time and delayed quotes. And I'd be rich in no time in the simulation market!

Well alright :D Good luck with your endeavor!

If you really want to exploit the system, why not just dump all your money and margin into Options? You can easy quintuple your capital in a day doing this. If you fail leave the game and rejoin...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
I don't know about the daily volume part, but for the latter I doubt you can get stock to fill that fast.

There there is also a delay when you purchase stocks, but the time you are able to fill the order the stock price might be nowhere near the price you saw before. I'd just speculate with limit orders.

Well, I'd imagine there's no liquidity issue in the simulation market. i.e. you buy the stock at pretty much the quoted (delayed) price, with the only difference between fill price and quoted price being the amount the price changed in the 0.5 seconds it takes to load the next page. And I'd imagine it would even allow you to buy 1,000,000 shares on a stock that typically trades 100,000 shares a day without changing the share price (which is exactly what would happen in the real market).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I used to do that with smart stocks simulation :)

re Daily Volume: do you want me to change it from 10% to 1% or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
If you really want to exploit the system, why not just dump all your money and margin into Options? You can easy quintuple your capital in a day doing this. If you fail leave the game and rejoin...

Haha. Sounds like a plan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@AZK wrote

Well, I'd imagine there's no liquidity issue in the simulation market. i.e. you buy the stock at pretty much the quoted (delayed) price, with the only difference between fill price and quoted price being the amount the price changed in the 0.5 seconds it takes to load the next page. And I'd imagine it would even allow you to buy 1,000,000 shares on a stock that typically trades 100,000 shares a day without changing the share price (which is exactly what would happen in the real market).

From my experience that is not allowed, you can not exceed the amount being traded by the market. (thats the way it is for marketwatch..im not too sure about investopedia)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
re Daily Volume: do you want me to change it from 10% to 1% or something?

0.5% if such an option exists. And that's assuming that I'm right about what they mean by "daily volume".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
From my experience that is not allowed, you can not exceed the amount being traded by the market. (thats the way it is for marketwatch..im not too sure about investopedia)

I guess the market simulators have improved since I last played with them like 8 years ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0