yconic - Journalism, History, universites, doubts, doubts...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Journalism, History, universites, doubts, doubts...

A photo of alexep alexep
Hi,

I'm a permanent resident in Canada, although I have finished high school in Portugal (last July). Until today, I have always thought about studying Journalism, but History has been an option as well. When I came to Canada, I was determined to go with Journalism, and Ryerson seemed to be the best choice for me since I live in Toronto and from what I understand, this is one of the best Journalism programs in the country. The thing is, I'm obviously not as fluent in English as I am in Portuguese, and if I want to study Journalism, excellent knowledge of English and strong communication skills are a must. So I considered History again. Of course excellent English skills are required as well, but it's different. Besides, it's something I know I enjoy and am good at, and being a teacher or a professor in the future is actually an idea I quite like. What made me 'relegate' History to 2nd choice was the chances of employment. Of course someone with a History Degree has some difficulties finding a good job - more than those who have a Journalism degree, I think, although that is also not a very happy career in this perspective.
Anyway, I'm not completely sure yet of what I want. Which brings me to these questions:

- My average is 78.5%, not much but meets the minimum requirements for both Ryerson and U of T's Journalism program. My 12th Grade English grade was 95%. However, I have nothing to include in that portfolio they ask at Ryerson. All this, from what I've read, makes my chances of entrance very very small. I don't know about U of T, but I figure it's pretty much the same and my average won't be enough. Is this correct?
Also, I've heard that Ryerson is a very 'practical' school and those who study there are prepared for actual work in the end. This is not what I'm looking for. Of course I would like to be able to work for a while after my degree, but then I want to keep studying, I don't want to stop there. So, will Ryerson be a good choice or is U of T better? I'm interested only in written and maybe radio journalism ("maybe" because of my horrible English accent). I don't know if any of these universities focus on this more than the other, though.

- About History: Right now I'm considering two universities; York and U of T. York would be great because of the distances, but after what I've been reading online, I don't know if it's a good option...According to this website, York is ranked 4th in the country, but a lot of people seem to call it "the university for those who can't get accepted anywhere else"...Is this true? History wise, is U of T better than York?

Honestly, I am a little afraid of Journalism because I'm not sure it will meet my expectations. I'm not even sure if I really like it as much as I thought I did. I've been thinking about taking History and then, maybe, a Major (or a Minor, I'm not very familiar with this) in Journalism, if I don't change my mind. By that time I would be, hopefully, more familiar with higher education, university life, etc, and have some "basis" to study Journalism.

One more thing, what are the cut-offs and pre-requisites (if there are any) for History Undergraduate program in York and U of T?

Thank you so much and sorry for the huge wall of text.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel

@alexep wrote

- About History: Right now I'm considering two universities; York and U of T. York would be great because of the distances, but after what I've been reading online, I don't know if it's a good option...According to this website, York is ranked 4th in the country, but a lot of people seem to call it "the university for those who can't get accepted anywhere else"...Is this true? History wise, is U of T better than York?

I'm going to address this paragraph. There is a lot of elitism among Ontario university students, and particularly U of T students. They are the ones badmouthing York. Ignore it, it's a good university.

I think journalism in general is a more 'practical' degree that would expect you to go into the workforce after undergrad. History would probably be more grad school orientated, but I might be wrong. That being said, the job outlook for PhDs in History is NOT good.

In addition, you don't need a journalism degree to pursue journalism. A history, English, science, even engineering degree and decent writing/communication skills can get you in the door. Look at the guy who is the new host of Daily Planet. I believe he has a PhD in some science field, and now he's hosting a TV show.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexep alexep
Thanks for your answer. I've been searching online and it seems that at least for History, U of T is generally better.
Does anyone know if I could get in with an average of 78.5% (I've been told it is rounded to 79%) and an English grade of 95%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
Your english grade alone will most likely get you in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Yes, his English grade is great, but if his average is too low then he's out of luck. A 78.5% is cutting it close for a lot of universities these days. www.electronicinfo.ca gives an idea of averages you need to get into different universities
Was this helpful? Yes 0