yconic - Just a pointer
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Just a pointer

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
I noticed that most of the posters here take most other posters' advice for granted, or are just CLUELESS.

Don't you know it's more about just a couple opinions you found on a forum filled with many other high school students, many all within the same province, who probably know little more than you do or don't even have "real" experience yet?

And I wish this forum is moderated more. Make a sticky. I don't find many of the threads here interesting to read anymore since they all seem to answer a question along the lines of "Is _____ good? Is _____ better than ____? Will I get in with ____?"

Perhaps even read up employment statistics such as employment rates, salaries, past recruiters, etc. from other sources instead of referring to other kids over the internet to tell you. Do more research on the school of your interest personally instead of taking every word of mouth you come by. Do research on competitive qualifications of students who have been admitted in the past.

There is a wealth of information out there, often more reliable then just asking for other kids' input on a forum. I'm not saying don't take their advice, but don't automactically jump to the conclusion that they are completely accurate. Don't just rely on asking people about which school you should pick- do some reliable research yourself before you jump in.

For example, I picked Sauder (UBC) because according to Sauder's website, Goldman Sachs and Merrlyn Lynch (excuse spelling) have recruited there in the past (but I guess obviously the best students only), and according to their last employment report, 91% of BCOMM graduates have found jobs within 6 months. If I just relied on making "is UBC good" posts on a forum alone and taking everyone's word, then I probably wouldn't have learned the above, or ended up somewhere that I shouldn't be.

Ah yeah, finally, there is no "best" school. Different schools suit different people. For instance, a prodigy capable of a >4.2 GPA, wants the oppertunity, and cares little for the partying aspect of university should be in Rotman, while someone who just wants to enjoy the campus life a little bit more and gets moderate grades will be better off at say, York or Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
hey, its better than nothing
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin

@Jack555 wrote
hey, its better than nothing

Yes, but only as long as the information you are acquiring is accurate. I am not accusing of anyone in particular, but it bothers me that people are just automactically taking a lot of unsupported advice for granted, or are just asking the same questions over and over that are answerable if you just take the time to do research (i.e. this forum is filled with spam).

And in the end, there is no 'best' school. Different schools suit different people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
I think (or hope) that most people take into consideration what people are saying and who is saying it... if the person says the employment rate for ___ is x% and gives a link, it's pretty damn credible. If the guy just says "QC" you can get an idea of his opinion but you don't use it too much unless they provide some reasons which you should analyze. Some of the current university students are pretty knowledgable, and then guys like g93 (duh), and like iansharer or illuminati or johnnycanuck, yourself, they all talk intelligently and often have links or appear to have done their research thoroughly. And then someone like Dr. Nazarus who evidently knows what he is talking about.

/rant

tl;dr take stuff with a grain of salt for the most part
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
if it wasn't for this forum, i wouldn't even know what UBC sauders was
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Why would a highly academic student choose Rotman over Ivey and Queens?

Your argument has a bit of merit, but this goes for anything. Of course you should take a high school kid's opinion of university programs with a grain of salt. However, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't look for answers here. There are several good posters who do make very valid points about the programs and seem to put their particular bias aside.

With that said, the quality of threads here really is deteriorating. People do need to stop making an entire thread to discover if their marks are competitive to get into a program. It shows a huge lack of innitiative and independance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@prefontaine wrote
Why would a highly academic student choose Rotman over Ivey and Queens?

Your argument has a bit of merit, but this goes for anything. Of course you should take a high school kid's opinion of university programs with a grain of salt. However, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't look for answers here. There are several good posters who do make very valid points about the programs and seem to put their particular bias aside.

With that said, the quality of threads here really is deteriorating. People do need to stop making an entire thread to discover if their marks are competitive to get into a program. It shows a huge lack of innitiative and independance.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0