yconic - Just One Cent can make a Difference
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Just One Cent can make a Difference

A photo of Sath94 Sath94
I am from Toronto and me and my friends from a highschool created this page called Just One Cent.

https://www.facebook.com/JustOneCent

We are trying to:
About
Just One Cent (JOC) is trying to reduce world issues by uniting people together as a Nation and working together!
Company Overview
Just One cent from every person in the world can reduce world problems concerning the less fortunate people. Canada itself has a population of over 34 million. If every Canadian were to donate a penny, there would be enough money to change the lives of thousands of people!
Description
As a non-profit organization our goal is to create many social programs that will make the lives of the less fortunate better. With the help of our donors we would like to provide the basic necessity (Food, Shelter and clothes.)
General Information
One penny is not much to many people. but it means the world to a large population. We ask that we can get all you facebook users to help donate just one cent to make a change in people lives who go day by day facing world issues. Spread the word, because we are one nation fighting together not alone...Just remember, "Just One Cent" can put a smile on everyone's face :)

So far we made one video please check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UOrjE10siM

Please share this with your friends and family would really help us in the long term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of WhiteNoise WhiteNoise
But ...I hate poor people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Screw that. What a stupid idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

... And do you realize the infrastructure and transaction fees to donate just one cent are more than one cent? LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sath94 Sath94
its just an exaggeration!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

At the end of the day, the decision to give money to organizations like yours can be thought of in terms of investment analysis. Central to investment analysis is the valuation of assets. The "assets" in this situation are the people in whom I would be "investing" - IE poor people.

Poor people tend not to possess sound financial decision making skills. An extra cent, or dollar, in their hand will lead to frivolous expenditures as opposed to saving & investment in order to benefit from compounding. This will benefit neither them nor society. Furthermore, the health of poor people tends to be a decreasing function of time. This makes them a depreciation asset.

On the other hand, I have the option of keeping the money myself. I happen to possess a tremendous amount of financial acumen - IE I have the ability to increase my total wealth through careful asset selection & optimal portfolio construction. Additionally, I am an astute consumer, and I therefore am more adept at identifying spending opportunities or opportunities to invest my money in non-financial assets which are vital to socially beneficial activities - such as technological advancement for example. This makes me an appreciation asset.

Taking all this into account, I cannot in good conscience choose to invest in a depreciation asset over an appreciation asset.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx
NO MORE PENNIES IN CANADAAA!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sath94 wrote

You were the one asking for pennies! Don't get snipy with me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@ARMY101 wrote

@Sath94 wrote

You were the one asking for pennies! Don't get snipy with me.

bahahahahahah
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serllen Serllen
I think we need to give this guy some sort of encouragement for creating this organization and the heart of wanting to have a better for us and even our children to live in. However (yes, there is an however), THE ONLY WAY TO SOLVE ANY SOCIAL ISSUE IS THROUGH EDUCATION; NOT GIVING LIVING NECESSITIES TO THOSE THAT ARE IN NEED. I don't buy into giving money, shelter, food, clothing...etc to those that need them. I can give them tools, but the crops are up to them to harvest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serllen wrote
THE ONLY WAY TO SOLVE ANY SOCIAL ISSUE IS THROUGH EDUCATION; NOT GIVING LIVING NECESSITIES TO THOSE THAT ARE IN NEED. I don't buy into giving money, shelter, food, clothing

You mean you do not support government handouts and wealth redistribution?

What are you, some sort of fascist?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of subzero1900 subzero1900

@WhiteNoise wrote
But ...I hate poor people.

:O
Was this helpful? Yes 0