yconic - K - I screwed up a bit on OUAC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

K - I screwed up a bit on OUAC

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
So if I were to re-order my choices now, what exactly would happen (mainly switching the order of two programs around). Would my acceptance be reconsidered for the switched program and is this updated info sent out to all of the universities I applied to?

Basically program A is rank 5, and program B is rank 7. if i were to switch the two around:
-would program A reconsider my admission
-are all other universities getting my OUAC choice update(even if only two are changed)?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
It doesn't matter what order you rank your programs, it has no affect on your acceptance.
You would order your first choice 10th by mistake and it wouldn't affect anything.
I wouldn't re-order them now if I were you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
It only really matters if you apply to two programs at the same university. They will only give an offer to the higher-ranked program, unless you get rejected to the higher-ranked program and are good enough for the lower-ranked one. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hmm I've been under the impression that the ranking does matter ever since I saw this:
http://www.queensu.ca/irp/accountability/CUDO/cudo2010/sectionB.html

I noticed the disparity in B1 between the first-choice Applicants/Registrants and the "all choices" Applicants/Registrants. The acceptance rate is higher among the first-choice pool.

Maybe I'm reading into it wrong?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
It only really matters if you apply to two programs at the same university. They will only give an offer to the higher-ranked program, unless you get rejected to the higher-ranked program and are good enough for the lower-ranked one. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Where did you hear this? I don't think this is true at all, you will still be considered to the other programs you applied to if you've been accepted to your first choice Uni program. I've seen many people accepted to both their choices.

@jsaroya wrote
Hmm I've been under the impression that the ranking does matter ever since I saw this:

I noticed the disparity in B1 between the first-choice Applicants/Registrants and the "all choices" Applicants/Registrants. The acceptance rate is higher among the first-choice pool.

Maybe I'm reading into it wrong?

It looks like queens is just putting up all the information that were given to them from OUAC to me. It would make sense for many first choice applicants to go to queens since they put that school as their first choice.

I remember from several school presentations/ uni presentations that they say ranking doesn't matter UNLESS the program you're applying to specifically says that you have to put their program as top choice. I know that Guelph's landscape architecture program requires this but I've not heard of any other program which asks for this though there are probably others. Either way, a rank of 5 or 7 will not make any difference at all. I suggest you don't change anything.

Edit: what do you mean by reconsider? I don't think university programs reject students until around May. Though not sure about this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik

@Impasse wrote

@g93 wrote

Where did you hear this? I don't think this is true at all, you will still be considered to the other programs you applied to if you've been accepted to your first choice Uni program. I've seen many people accepted to both their choices.

+1 I've been accepted to 2 programs in uOttawa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Lol that totally goes AGAINST what he said.
He said the will ONLY give an offer to the higher-ranked program UNLESS you got rejected by the higher ranked one..
Except you got accepted to both..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew

@ffcelik wrote

@Impasse wrote

@g93 wrote

It depends on the university. Some universities (such as Brock, Laurier, and Guelph) will only give you one offer, which means that if someone has applied to multiple programs at those universities, how they rank those programs on OUAC comes into play. Other universities, like Queen's, Waterloo, and Ottawa give out multiple offers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of juicetan juicetan

@jsaroya wrote

Rankings don't matter for Queen's.
http://queensuadmission.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/first-vs-fifteenth-does-ouac-ranking-matter/
That was posted by an admission coordinator in 2009 - I've confirmed that nothing's changed for this year.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
Does anyone know if Laurier BBA and U of T engineering care about their ouac rank?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
^ I have Laurier BBA 4th and I still got an offer. Can't say anything about Engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer

@awaysheflew wrote

@ffcelik wrote

@Impasse wrote

@g93 wrote

It depends on the university. Some universities (such as Brock, Laurier, and Guelph) will only give you one offer, which means that if someone has applied to multiple programs at those universities, how they rank those programs on OUAC comes into play. Other universities, like Queen's, Waterloo, and Ottawa give out multiple offers.

Universities will accept u to any program that ur qualified for. The rankings are used by universities so they can send out extra acceptances to a certain program if they see that most people ranked the program low, knowing less people will accept the offers.
i personally have been accepted to 2 programs at Toronto (engineering and commerce) and hopefully 3 (Rotman) so dont worry at all about the choice ordering, it has NO effect on ur chances of being accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0