yconic - Know anything about Psychology?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Know anything about Psychology?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am in grade 12 and have finally decided what to do. I want to pursue my career in Psychology. What would be some of the sub-fields that you would recommend. I was thinking either clinical or forensic psychology. Also, what universities would you recommend applying to?

If anyone could also tell me more about psychology that I should know, then please do let me know.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
Respects, if you are truly passionate about your field, the amount of time you spend in school and what your end up being paid shouldn't matter. Please don't try to convince someone who may be passionate about something that isn't business or engineering to not pursue it simply because of money. Not to mention the fact that starting out with 60K is pretty damn good (average salary in Canada is about 50K) and established psychologists can end up making 100K+.

Like Respects said, you will probably need to pursue graduate school to get in job psych-related job. HOWEVER, your graduate degree doesn't have be a PhD unless your goal is to become a psychologist. There are plenty of jobs to be had in areas such as social work (which would require a post-grad Bachelor's or Master's degree in social work). Any jobs in psychology that don't require a graduate degree are generally lower-paying.

I'm not going to recommend any particular areas of psychology simply because there are so many areas. Instead, I will recommend taking Psychology in your first year so you can be exposed to a variety of areas. That way, you'll be able to see which area interests you most.

I would recommend applying to universities that have co-op options available for their Psychology programs. Psych is one of the most popular university majors, and therefore you will have to have a way of distinguishing yourself from everyone else with a BA/BSc in Psychology when it comes time to get a job or apply to grad school. Having related work experience could really help you out in this process. Not to mention the fact that you will probably be paid during your co-op work terms (less OSAP debt is good) and that your work could help you figure out a future career path.

Beyond that, the school that you go to doesn't really matter. There isn't really a huge difference in undergraduate psychology programs from school to school, nor is any major quality differences. So don't worry about the so-called "prestige" of any one school. Instead focus on your preferences. Do you want to go to school in a large city or smaller, more rural area? Do you want to stay close your family home? Is campus spirit and sense of community important to you?

Hope all of this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prozspade prozspade
I just have to say, you should apply to McGill University. The psychology program here is fantastic with terrific funding because it is in the Faculty of Science. You can do a B.A. but it is still in that faculty. McGill also has a fantastic honours program and competitive but great graduate programs for the future. I am in my second year here and I made the right choice. Fun city, wonderful program, and internationally recognized university.

Edit: also, I recommend clinical.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HappyNoodleGirl21 HappyNoodleGirl21
I am currently at UOIT for Forensic Psychology. You should definitely check out the program!

To be part of one of the Canadian psychological associations you need at least a masters degree, but you do have options with a bachelors degree like: alcohol and drug abuse counselling, case worker, child protection worker, corrections officer, crime prevention officer, family service worker, intelligence officer, law enforcement officer, mediator, mental health technician, private security officer, probation officer, research assistant, residential youth counsellor, social services assistant, and statistical assistant.

Feel free to pm me with any questions about UOIT's program! Hope this helped!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MeganPysch99 MeganPysch99
Hi,
There are many schools that offer psychology. I am interested in it myself and I have done reasearch...

Wilfrid Laurier offers psych in both BA and BSc. The BA is more of a general where your pre reqs are pretty much english, where as BSC you have to have advance functions, bio and english as pre reqs. The range is also 77-80%. You must also take science related courses in university for the BSC. Oh, you also need a combined average of 70% in your science and math courses to apply.

Trent Universtiy offers psych in both BA and BSc. The programs are the same but the BSC one is better because you are obviously getting a science degree. You need a total of 20 courses at graduation, and 10-13 of them must be science related courses. The range is also 70%.

Lastly, University of Guelph offers 3 types of psych programs. The BA program needs pre reqs of English and the range is from 75-80%. The BA & BSc program is a mix and you need to have pre reqs of advance functions, bio, english, chem, and one social science course to apply. Same as the BA program, you can minor in anything you want. Such as psych as a major and minor in computing. However the range for the BA & BSc is 77-80%. The last type of psych they offer is a brain and cognition psych. It is more related to the science portion of pysch and therefore you must have science related courses. I'm pretty sure the range is 77-80%, but it may be higher.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout

@purplebear wrote
I am in grade 12 and have finally decided what to do. I want to pursue my career in Psychology. What would be some of the sub-fields that you would recommend. I was thinking either clinical or forensic psychology. Also, what universities would you recommend applying to?

If anyone could also tell me more about psychology that I should know, then please do let me know.

hey im also grade 12.
i want to go to waterloo because of its co-op program, so if money is a problem, i think you should stick with waterloo :) haven't visited there yet, i will next Saturday.

you have to go to graduate school for clinical psychology/forensic.
i want to do clinical
hope i helped! and good luck =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0