yconic - Labour Market For Computer Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Labour Market For Computer Science

A photo of BChun BChun
I understand right now that there is a larger demand for jobs in the field of computer science than there are graduates. However I'm thinking long-term, will technology advance far enough that computer programmers are no longer needed? Would it be a better idea to go into the field of accounting as it is a necessity for all businesses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@BChun wrote
I understand right now that there is a larger demand for jobs in the field of computer science than there are graduates. However I'm thinking long-term, will technology advance far enough that computer programmers are no longer needed? Would it be a better idea to go into the field of accounting as it is a necessity for all businesses?

That's BS. You should choose what you want to do based on what you envision yourself enjoying the most in the long run.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@immaculatedx wrote

@BChun wrote

That's BS. You should choose what you want to do based on what you envision yourself enjoying the most in the long run.

And if you're assuming that the need for programmers and others with advanced tech knowledge will become obsolete with the rise in technology, wouldn't it make sense to assume that accountants will not really be needed as technology will be able to do 99% of stuff for them?

I don't think you really have to worry about this, as this poster mentioned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I don't see computer programming becoming obsolete in your lifetime.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig
You are not going to university to learn a skill. You go there so you can hopefully develop the ability to think, and to learn. A university education in something that is best aligned with your personal interests is probably one the best bets in helping you stay productive in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BChun BChun
Well I did enjoy my computer science class last semester and did pretty well. I do also enjoy my accounting class this semester, but I understand that accounting in University is not the same and I am pretty confident I would not be looking towards any other area of business other than finance after accounting. I think I would be most interested in developing software for mobile devices. Would the consensus top programs such as Waterloo and UofT provide any good opportunities to learn about mobile software development or provide connections to companies that develop mobile software? What would be good programs that I should be looking at other than the two stated previously (considering I didn't take any Science courses)?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@BChun wrote
Well I did enjoy my computer science class last semester and did pretty well. I do also enjoy my accounting class this semester, but I understand that accounting in University is not the same and I am pretty confident I would not be looking towards any other area of business other than finance after accounting. I think I would be most interested in developing software for mobile devices. Would the consensus top programs such as Waterloo and UofT provide any good opportunities to learn about mobile software development or provide connections to companies that develop mobile software? What would be good programs that I should be looking at other than the two stated previously (considering I didn't take any Science courses)?

UW is as good as it gets for just Comp Sci. UofT is also good.

Your decision-making really concerns and bothers me. You're focusing too much on minor tangible issues. Choosing your school, major, and program should really just be about where you think you can envision yourself enjoying the most. All the other stuff about jobs and whatever take care of itself if you work hard and follow your heart.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted