yconic - laptop type?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

laptop type?

A photo of jaqmccomb jaqmccomb
my laptop just died on me, soooo
what should i get? and is a mac a good investment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Im not sure about Macs.. they're okay but it's a totally different system.. takes getting used to.
I love the Sony Vaio though..
I haven't heard any complaints about it from the few friends that do have one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Dell tablet PC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of passenger3 passenger3
I've had a Macbook for a year and its awesome, no complaints. Its a good investment, I would definitely recommend it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seamusotoole4 seamusotoole4
personally, i think macs are a waste.
Don't get me wrong, i love them, but they aren't worth the money. The macbook pro is roughly $1250 and its hard drive/ram are the same that you would get in a $5-600 laptop. That price isn't even including things like the equivalent of microsoft office (whatever that may be called) I have an Acer with 250gb harddrive and 4gb of ram. I love it and it cost me about $750. However, I did buy it on boxing day so I saved some money.
That's my two cents on macs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ You got ripped off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of swoodrow swoodrow
I've had a lenovo g550 for about a year, and so far, no complaints.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm not a big fan of Mac's softwares, but it's probably the same case with hp laptops. But you could use Macs as an external hardrive on other Macs so there's not that much harm done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Hazel wrote
But you could use Macs as an external hardrive on other Macs so there's not that much harm done.

..........cause one isn't expensive enough?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of swoodrow swoodrow

@Zion wrote

@Hazel wrote
But you could use Macs as an external hardrive on other Macs so there's not that much harm done.

..........cause one isn't expensive enough?

Well said. Macs are way too overpriced. Let alone having 2, and all of the required software that isn't given with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Buy a mac, you will never regret making the switch. If you think that iPods, iPhones, iPads and so forth have easy to use and intuitive software, you will quickly be able to adapt to a Mac.

Keep in mind that macs were the original creators of both home computers and laptops. While the company that would later become Microsoft had computers the size of small buildings macs were producing cutting edge easy to use computers–-and they still are today.

More benefits:
-aesthetic and highly functional computer
-no viruses
-no "fatal errors" or "malicious code" infiltrations etc.
-a computer that will stay modern for many years (unlike Dells and Compaqs that age rapidly)

*Also if your interested in economics, note that the market has decided the value of Apple Computers - stock prices are around $350.00 a share whereas Microsoft is around $28.00
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh no I'm telling you to buy two Macs O.o

In case it breaks down, you can ask to use someone else's Mac to retrieve the info you need. You still have the info.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esper esper
mac is the way to go
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i had an Compaq, which is made by HP
i absolutely hated it, it kept dying, the motherboard crashed, just a horrible expierience.

however, my sister has the Dell and she likes it. It does get slow though, ive noticed with most PCS they start to get slower over time.

i have the macbook pro (which i bought with all the money ive saved) so i really wanted it, and i couldnt love it more! Ive had it for just about a year, and it is still as quick as when i first bought it. I definitly reccomend the Macbook Pro over the Macbook, because you get features that is worth the extra hundred bucks. Also, if you have a university acceptance letter/student id for a university, you get 100 bucks off.

they are pricy, but view it as an investment, because i am super happy with mine :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of daub_girl daub_girl
I love my Mac its a little different to use then a pc but it's the best computer I have ever had and would never switch back to a pc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of macpherson184 macpherson184
I got a Dell Studio for school, but only because my parents refused to pay for a Mac! But now I'm in third year, and three years later I still regret not getting a Mac! I would say that about half of the laptops you see on campus right now are Macs, and I feel like soon Mac's will outnumber Windows laptops as they're becoming increasingly popular. I've had so many problems with Windows, and because Mac's are becoming increasingly popular, don't let people tell you that there are no support resources for you on campus because a lot of schools have caught on to the Mac trend and even a lot of my professors use Macs for their lecture, so for example my library at UoGuelph already has a support area for Mac users. Just from obersvation of fellow classmates using Macs, they just look so much easier to use, and their word processing program looks fantastic. Let's just say once I'm done school, I plan on giving my laptop to my younger brother and buying myself a Mac for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stevie Stevie
MacBook Pro for sure!! You may be a little hesitant to try a mac if you have never done so before, but believe me, they are much easier to use then PC and they NEVER get viruses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It isn't even a question, get a Mac. For the extra couple hundred dollars you get a better, more stable OS, and world renowned customer service. If you buy a cheap plastic laptop for university you can say goodby to it in less than 3 years. A solid aluminium laptop is going to last you much longer. If you buy a Mac and decide you aren't used to the OS you can easily install Windows 7 on it, and in that case you have some of the best laptop hardware with you preference of OS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwhitney mwhitney
I love my Macbook. I got it over 2 years ago and have only had a couple minor issues with the built in webcam and the CD drive. I wish Apple's repair centres were a little more prevalent - the closest to me is 3 hrs away - but pretty much any software issue or user question I've had I've been able to research online myself.

They are pricier, though, so you have to decide if it's worth the money to you. I hated Vista, so that was something that really drove me to switch to Mac. PCs have to have a lot more RAM to run close to as fast and seamlessly as a Macbook does, in my experience. There is the occasional issue with file/software compatibility, but that can be solved by running parallels desktop on your Mac.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mwhitney mwhitney
I love my Macbook. I got it over 2 years ago and have only had a couple minor issues with the built in webcam and the CD drive. I wish Apple's repair centres were a little more prevalent - the closest to me is 3 hrs away - but pretty much any software issue or user question I've had I've been able to research online myself.

They are pricier, though, so you have to decide if it's worth the money to you. I hated Vista, so that was something that really drove me to switch to Mac. PCs have to have a lot more RAM to run close to as fast and seamlessly as a Macbook does, in my experience. There is the occasional issue with file/software compatibility, but that can be solved by running parallels desktop on your Mac.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Macbook, you won't regret it, all these people saying it's overpriced have never owned one
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of norcorider norcorider
Yeah Macbook Pro. Awesome computer! Mac is definitely the way to go!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0