yconic - Laptops causing indecision
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laptops causing indecision

A photo of kinnikinnik kinnikinnik
Hey guys, now that we've all sort of outlined the future I'm having trouble deciding on what laptop to purchase for university. I know all about hardware specs so you don't have to brief me on that, but as for pc vs mac, company, and price I need some clarification.

PC vs Mac- Apple gets better and better every year with their laptops, especially with the ability to run windows alongside OSX. I know most business related applications were always linked to PCs as they have been around the business world the longest, but could a Mac get by, its an equal or better machine compared to a PC notebook.

Company-I keep looking at different companies such as HP, Lenovo Thinkpads, and Sony, where I can customize my order and upgrade to similar if not better hardware compared to a Macbook Pro 13. I'd rather have more storage space, better security, and overall better hardware for a couple hundred bucks less.

Price-Is it worth paying 1200+ for a computer going into first year? Money's not the issue here really, just wondering if the durability of notebooks is decent enough for 2-3 years usage.

So what do you think? I'm just bouncing back and forth between all the options:(

P.S. Does anyone know when or if apple is doing the buy a mac get a free ipod touch thing? I like free stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0
50 replies

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
Ewww Macs.....

They never run as good as advertised (At least from my experience)And they cost a lot of money, and if your going to university you tend to want spend as less as possible.

HP laptops are good, I have a thinkpad, which I like. Toshiba also makes good laptops from what I hear. I can't really say anything about the sony laptops because I've never used one.

But don't get a Mac, there are so many cheaper, better laptops out there, with Macs I feel your buying the brand more than the laptop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Don't get an HP - an ASUS would be better, or a Toshiba or Dell
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Only get a Mac if you like OSX (since like 20% of the price is for this) and don't mind paying a premium for the aesthetics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@gassergasser wrote
But don't get a Mac, there are so many cheaper, better laptops out there, with Macs I feel your buying the brand more than the laptop.

I agree. They're "cooler", but less useful for what you'll need it for.

LG's make decent computers too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@g93 wrote
Don't get an HP

This

I had a HP and it had glitches after a year and half. They may look nice, but inside they are a piece of crap. [edited by site moderator]

I have a Dell Studio which is really good for school work and it's bullet fast and I love it and Toshiba has served people very well too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@goldmansachs wrote

@g93 wrote
Don't get an HP

This

I had a HP and it had glitches after a year and half. They may look nice, but inside they are a piece of crap. [edited by site moderator]

I have a Dell Studio which is really good for school work and it's bullet fast and I love it and Toshiba has served people very well too.

I have a Studio as well, goldmansachs ; )

If you're looking for a cool machine, check out the Dell XPS 15z. Looks like a Mac, but performs like a PC (because it is!): (Link)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter

@goldmansachs wrote

@g93 wrote
Don't get an HP

This

I had a HP and it had glitches after a year and half. They may look nice, but inside they are a piece of crap.

Yes, stay far, far away from HP. They have the highest failure rate of all major laptop computer brands. (Source) I know many HP owners whose laptop had major issues after 1-3 years. I've heard good things about Sony and Lenovo Thinkpads as well. Dell is decent.

I have a Toshiba and love it; They also come with a 1 year warranty on the battery, rather than the typical 30-90 day warranty. Even if you have free money to spend, I would not suggest buying a Mac. You can get a laptop of equal or better value for $700-800; I personally got my Toshiba for $599+tax on sale. 640 GB storage, I can connect it to my HDTV, 4.5 hours battery life, and it has a white, glossy finish all around.

Another idea would be to get a decent, less expensive laptop now, and buy a top of the line laptop around your 3rd/4th year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
I posted this topic awhile ago, you can take a look at my thread if you would like.

http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=4805

I am getting an alienware m14x, reliable, fast, sexy, at a decent price.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@Cuiter23 wrote
I posted this topic awhile ago, you can take a look at my thread if you would like.

LMAO, are you kidding? I've never heard anybody refer to alienware as being decently priced!
Alienware's are just Dell with a lot of lights that impress gamers that lets them bump the price up a few hundred for no real reason. Hopefully you won't look too out of place in a lecture hall with your glowing notebook lol.

I'm buying a new laptop for school as well, I'm on an HP dv7 right now, I can't complain about anything but its not really that great. It'll be too big for school anyways.
I'm thinking of getting an asus n53sv. I like the G53SW but I feel like itll be too heavy to lug around. And I can put an external memory on the n53sv anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I got an LG as my high school graduation present (have no idea what kind) and it served me faithfully for my entire 4 year degree. Still works but makes a funny noise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@axiom2true wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

@g93 wrote
Don't get an HP

This

I had a HP and it had glitches after a year and half. They may look nice, but inside they are a piece of crap. They are like sluts hehe

I have a Studio as well, goldmansachs ; )

If you're looking for a cool machine, check out the Dell XPS 15z. Looks like a Mac, but performs like a PC (because it is!): (Link)

I have a studio as well. It's more then adequate for my needs. Lightning fast (i got the quad-core i7). Used it through first year and had absolutely no software issues. A cousin of mine kicked the screen and broke the brackets that mount the screen onto the board, but as long as you don't have people kicking your screen, its not an issue.

I reccomend looking for a 7200 rpm hard drive vs the standard 5400 rpm ones. I find a significant difference with the upgraded hard drive speed, it's worth the extra 50-100 bucks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chara wrote

@Cuiter23 wrote

LMAO, are you kidding? I've never heard anybody refer to alienware as being decently priced!
Alienware's are just Dell with a lot of lights that impress gamers that lets them bump the price up a few hundred for no real reason. Hopefully you won't look too out of place in a lecture hall with your glowing notebook lol.

I'm buying a new laptop for school as well, I'm on an HP dv7 right now, I can't complain about anything but its not really that great. It'll be too big for school anyways.
I'm thinking of getting an asus n53sv. I like the G53SW but I feel like itll be too heavy to lug around. And I can put an external memory on the n53sv anyways.

How? The laptop I am getting is $50 cheaper than your n53sv. It is $1199 cad. Sandy bridge 2nd gen i-7 2700s compared with your 2600s.

Gt555M 1.5gb while yours is a gt540 with only 1gb of dedicated graphics.

Not to mention the alienware has a 720p screen (optional 900p).

Same ram. Your HD is bigger by 140gb but what difference will that make?

I mean, 1200 is not cheap but for what it is, the price is reasonable. I dont get whats so "LMAO" about it...

From what i heard and experienced, Dell are much more widely used by large coorporations than asus. My motherboard is asus dont have anything against it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
'Only' 1 GB? I remember when a 64 MB NVidia AGP video card used to cost hundreds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of touchman touchman
Get a Mac, there's no competition.
I have had pc's all my life until I got a Mac last Christmas, it was the best gift I've ever gotten. I have never once had a problem with it, and for a little bit more money, you get so much more than a pc can ever offer.
In terms of programs needed for business, keynote pages and numbers are all WAY better than the microsfot office programs, and you can save all your work in the format of Microsoft office documents I needed, so file formats are never an issue.
Windows 7 and vista are awful, I hate them. OSx runs amazingly and with the new OSx lion coming out in July, it's only going to get better.
Plus, Macs are way more compact and light than any of the PC laptops which, believe me, is a HUGE bonus. You don't want to be lugging around a big bulky laptop all year. With a Mac, you won't have that problem..
Macs are fast, run beautifully and have waaaaaaay better programs than PCs do.

Get a Mac, if your gonna be spending the money on a laptop, spend a little more and get one that will be worth every cent you pay for it.a
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LRooke wrote
'Only' 1 GB? I remember when a 64 MB NVidia AGP video card used to cost hundreds.

Lol it is "only" 1gb when compared to a 1.5gb :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Or what about Linux...Just curious if anyone runs a Linux-based OS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@touchman wrote
I have had pc's all my life until I got a Mac last Christmas, it was the best gift I've ever gotten. I have never once had a problem with it, and for a little bit more money, you get so much more than a pc can ever offer.
In terms of programs needed for business, keynote pages and numbers are all WAY better than the microsfot office programs, and you can save all your work in the format of Microsoft office documents I needed, so file formats are never an issue.
Windows 7 and vista are awful, I hate them. OSx runs amazingly and with the new OSx lion coming out in July, it's only going to get better.
Plus, Macs are way more compact and light than any of the PC laptops which, believe me, is a HUGE bonus. You don't want to be lugging around a big bulky laptop all year. With a Mac, you won't have that problem..

Get a Mac, if your gonna be spending the money on a laptop, spend a little more and get one that will be worth every cent you pay for it.a

You can save all your work in microsoft office, thats true, but the MAC microsoft offiec lacks significant functionality, especially in excel. I'm in accounting, and there is no way in hell I would ever get a MAC. My best friend has one, and he was frequently emailing his documents over to my pc so he could fix them. He could not use any of the modeling features that are available with regular excel either. He did extremely poorly on his Assignments in our Business Modeling courses because his MAC Office lacked functionality.

We had some software for Stats as well (minitab) which he could not use. Another huge pain.

He was always having trouble with resume templates sent by our co-op office as well. They never worked properly and he always ended up having to recreate them.

Vista is terrible, that's true. But windows 7 is very good. I paid $1200 for my laptopo with an i7 processor, 4gb of ram, and a 7200 rpm harddrive, and I could outperform any MAC on the market at the time, for $1000 less.

I suppose if you are in marketing and like creating fancy posters, a mac is good. Also iTunes seems to run better on a Mac, which really makes no sense (i blame garbage apple programming). But at the end of the day, you are WAYYYYYYYY better off getting a PC.

Oh, just to mention, Windows is built to run practically every program that has come out in the last 10 years. Can you say the same about a Mac?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Windows 7 is awesome. Five million times better than Vista. So much more intuitive and useful.

If you really want a Mac be prepared to have some compatibility issues with files and software, no matter what. I remember doing a group report, which we were required to hand in in .doc file format. 2 of the group members had a Mac and their office programs completely messed up the formatting that we were required to have. I subsequently stayed up all night fixing it. They had to use the school computers for the final part of the project.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of touchman touchman

@kiddinaround wrote

@touchman wrote

You can save all your work in microsoft office, thats true, but the MAC microsoft offiec lacks significant functionality, especially in excel. I'm in accounting, and there is no way in hell I would ever get a MAC. My best friend has one, and he was frequently emailing his documents over to my pc so he could fix them. He could not use any of the modeling features that are available with regular excel either. He did extremely poorly on his Assignments in our Business Modeling courses because his MAC Office lacked functionality.

We had some software for Stats as well (minitab) which he could not use. Another huge pain.

He was always having trouble with resume templates sent by our co-op office as well. They never worked properly and he always ended up having to recreate them.

Vista is terrible, that's true. But windows 7 is very good. I paid $1200 for my laptopo with an i7 processor, 4gb of ram, and a 7200 rpm harddrive, and I could outperform any MAC on the market at the time, for $1000 less.

I suppose if you are in marketing and like creating fancy posters, a mac is good. Also iTunes seems to run better on a Mac, which really makes no sense (i blame garbage apple programming). But at the end of the day, you are WAYYYYYYYY better off getting a PC.

Oh, just to mention, Windows is built to run practically every program that has come out in the last 10 years. Can you say the same about a Mac?

1) You can run both windows and OSx on a mac, so yes, I can say that about a mac.

2) If formating is the issue, Microsoft office Mac version can be bought and/or can EASILY be downloaded off the internet for free anytime. Thus giving mac users the best of both systems programs. Can YOU say that about a PC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@touchman wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

1) You can run both windows and OSx on a mac, so yes, I can say that about a mac.

2) If formating is the issue, Microsoft office Mac version can be bought and/or can EASILY be downloaded off the internet for free anytime. Thus giving mac users the best of both systems programs. Can YOU say that about a PC?

Refer to my above post. Microsoft Office Mac Version is garbage. All the problems my friend had withe excel functionality, he exprienced with Microsoft Office Mac Version.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The Dell XPS 15z looks like the perfect laptop for me, would you agree or should I look at other alternatives?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote
Vista is terrible, that's true. But windows 7 is very good.

Although I've heard Windows 7 is great, I have Vista and I really like it..never had an issue with it.

@dxb2ont wrote
he Dell XPS 15z looks like the perfect laptop for me, would you agree or should I look at other alternatives?

Definitely keep looking since buying the first one you see isn't always the best. But I just looked at it and I definitely like it lol :) Possible one for me as well? ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
Vista is terrible, that's true. But windows 7 is very good.

Although I've heard Windows 7 is great, I have Vista and I really like it..never had an issue with it.

@dxb2ont wrote
he Dell XPS 15z looks like the perfect laptop for me, would you agree or should I look at other alternatives?

Definitely keep looking since buying the first one you see isn't always the best. But I just looked at it and I definitely like it lol :) Possible one for me as well? ;)

You are probably the first person I have heard of who likes Vista. And yes, Windows 7 is amazing.

I did what BusterBaxter suggested: bought a cheaper laptop now and will upgrade in 2-4 years or so.

Link.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why do people hate Vista so much? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@Cuiter23 wrote

@Chara wrote

@Cuiter23 wrote

How? The laptop I am getting is $50 cheaper than your n53sv. It is $1199 cad. Sandy bridge 2nd gen i-7 2700s compared with your 2600s.

Gt555M 1.5gb while yours is a gt540 with only 1gb of dedicated graphics.

Not to mention the alienware has a 720p screen (optional 900p).

Same ram. Your HD is bigger by 140gb but what difference will that make?

I mean, 1200 is not cheap but for what it is, the price is reasonable. I dont get whats so "LMAO" about it...

From what i heard and experienced, Dell are much more widely used by large coorporations than asus. My motherboard is asus dont have anything against it.

There are a lot of people that like alienware, but I thinke everyone knows theyre overpriced.
Don't compare it to the n53, its not a gaming laptop.

You can compare it to the g53 though, both are targetted towards the same market.
The alienware isn't bad per se, theyre very similiar in specs up until the optical drives and the graphics card. In which the asus is farrrr superior. Good luck playing on anything above low graphics settings with that.

But for me, the one thing that turns me completely off alienware is the design. Even if the hardware was superior, which it isn't, the lighting and overall appearance is terrible.
You're going to be getting some looks in the lecture hall with a glowing laptop, and if you're going into business forget about it.
Can you imagine bringing an alienware to a business meeting?? I want a laptop I can use for the next few years and sitting around a corporate meeting table with a handful of executives and coworkers with a bright red glowing gaming laptop in front of me isn't an image I really want to give myself. The asus is discreet and professional in appearance.
I don't want to buy another laptop in 2 or 3 years when I go for an internship position just to avoid making myself look unprofessional.
I suppose you could spray paint the whole thing black...
Was this helpful? Yes 0