yconic - Last year in university - social life post university questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Last year in university - social life post university questions

A photo of JavierSalez JavierSalez
I stayed for one more year in UBC to do a double major. This year will be my last year. I have heard 99% of my friends who have just entered the workforce say that their social life has plummeted as time goes by. They meet less people, they interact less with the opposite sex, etc etc. They also warned me to maximize the opportunities I have in university to socialize with so many people and make friends.

My question is how do I meet new people in my last year of university? I find it hard because I don't know where to start and I don't think I can just join social clubs because all of the people here are 19-20 year olds. I find it hard because people have also made their own circle of friends. What do I do?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of sllencer sllencer
Isn't that your situation on the first day of class? Albeit, you migt've knew ppl from your highschool, but pretty much the same situation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I responded to your other thread as well. I think making friends in the workplace can be challenging because there's such a larger age range. It also strongly depends on the workplace culture. You might find a great job with great people who all become your best friends. Otherwise you need to look elsewhere (sports teams, clubs, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smothy88 Smothy88
Why don't you use your experience to your advantage. If your main goal is to socialize rather than make money, why don't you offer free tutoring or tutoring at a low cost or start a group to help first years and give advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Smothy88 wrote
Why don't you use your experience to your advantage. If your main goal is to socialize rather than make money, why don't you offer free tutoring or tutoring at a low cost or start a group to help first years and give advice?

I think the OP wants to meet people his own age. There is a pretty significant difference between most first years and those in their final year of university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted