yconic - Laurentian vs Ottawa
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurentian vs Ottawa

A photo of Jesso4 Jesso4
Hey everyone,
I am applying for university this year and have my choices down to two: Laurentian in Sudbury and uOttawa. I am hoping to go for psychology and French... I know uOttawa offers the French immersion, and I like that idea a lot, but I also know that the inhabitants of Sudbury speak French. I have tried looking on the internet for pros and cons of each univeristy, but I can never find anything useful. Any opinions would be welcome! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of LindsehVictoria LindsehVictoria
I've heard that Ottawa's psych. program is more thorough than Laurentian's. Laurentian does have quite an impressive program as well, but Ottawa's is more diverse and you'll have more people there who speak french than at Laurentian. Also, Ottawa has quite a large campus whereas Laurentian's is smaller and more community-like. I prefer the small community feel to the big city type, but it really depends on how good the program is that you're applying to.

I recommend that you visit both universities and talk to a first year, second year, and a grad student of the program that you'd be applying to. Ask them what other universities they applied to and ask how they made their final choice. You can also email them, don't be afraid to, since it's YOUR future.

Also figure out what kind of residence and study space they have at each university, and how good their resources are. It'll do you no good to go to Ottawa and then not be able to focus and study there. Same with any university, really. Good luck, I hope this helped a bit (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@Jesso4 wrote
Hey everyone,
I am applying for university this year and have my choices down to two: Laurentian in Sudbury and uOttawa. I am hoping to go for psychology and French... I know uOttawa offers the French immersion, and I like that idea a lot, but I also know that the inhabitants of Sudbury speak French. I have tried looking on the internet for pros and cons of each univeristy, but I can never find anything useful. Any opinions would be welcome! :)

LV posted some good advice. Also, I would take into account how far (if at all) you will be travelling from home. Is Sudbury/Ottawa the perfect distance from home, if that's what you want? How much will you be paying for each school? How do you like each city? etc... Personally I could never live in a hole like Sudbury but everyone's different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apollo2010 apollo2010
I think when it comes down to those two, you have to think about which city you'd like to live in more and school size. Laurentian is not that big compared to Ottawa U, so look for your comfort zone and visit the two schools, you'll get a feeling and you'll just know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0