yconic - Laurier bba & financial mathematics DD?!?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier bba & financial mathematics DD?!?!

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
hi, my average of my top 6 grade 12 marks is 87.16%. what are my chances of getting into the bba & financial mathematics program @ laurier?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
Just to let you know that BBA has a cutoff of high 80s, probably 86-87?...So if u wanna go for DD, i'll say u'll need a 90...Did you fill in the ABS?If you do well on that, i think u might have a chance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@Slowwy wrote
Just to let you know that BBA has a cutoff of high 80s, probably 86-87?...So if u wanna go for DD, i'll say u'll need a 90...Did you fill in the ABS?If you do well on that, i think u might have a chance.

Naw, all the 90 guys interesting in DD do it with waterloo math. BBA+ financial math at laurier is kind of a pointless degree. I don't know for sure but I think the cutoff will be around 87, 88.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YoYoYo232 YoYoYo232
Unlike the expert above me ^^^^^, I got into the program last year with a 89.3.

I was in it this year. Classes were pretty hard, some of the profs were morons, but I kinda ended up hating it.

Nonetheless, it's a sick program if you can actually put the effort in to do it. I got my 89 average without doing almost any work in highschool. Not the same story at Laurier.

A lot of people ended up dropping it after CP104 in the fall.

I still recommend Laurier, met some awesome people there, and it was def the best year of my life.

If you got any questions about the double degree I'll answer them for you!

Don't listen to people in grade 12 who haven't been in university telling you it's a useless degree. LOOL!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@YoYoYo232 wrote

I was in it this year. Classes were pretty hard, some of the profs were morons, but I kinda ended up hating it.

Nonetheless, it's a sick program if you can actually put the effort in to do it. I got my 89 average without doing almost any work in highschool. Not the same story at Laurier.

I still recommend Laurier, met some awesome people there, and it was def the best year of my life.

Don't listen to people in grade 12 who haven't been in university telling you it's a useless degree. LOOL!

Whats your reason for taking DD then? "I did good in high school but university is hard, but im having so much fun!" You sound like every single other first year uni student in Canada right now, and you haven't really provided a reason for recommending your program. Everyone always tries to hype up and sugercoat whatever degree they're taking as being the best so they can feel good about themselves and satified with their choices.
You started off your post saying you hate it...and ended with saying its been the best year of your life....so, what? You hate class but love the parties? You aren't coming off like you know what you're talking about or that you're really sure of anything.

Why add the extra time and effort for a degree in....financial math....from some no name university that nobody has ever heard of outside of ontario. Sure, they have a good bba program with decent co-op placements, but thats pretty much it. At least a math degree from waterloo looks good on a resume.
Having a DD is not going to immediatly make you stand out to a recruiter from other applicants, especially not one from laurier. Is it really worth the effort?

Whats so good about DD with FM then? Besides the fact that it was "def the best year of my life", and that you "met some awesome people there" what makes financial math + bba worthwhile?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YoYoYo232 YoYoYo232
I've seen what you study, and I'd say it's pretty useful.

Not really hyping my program as I've basically dropped out of it.

"Having a DD is not going to immediatly make you stand out to a recruiter from other applicants, especially not one from laurier. Is it really worth the effort?"

Are you kidding me? How many double degree programs are there in Ontario? The only one's that I've heard of in business are the ones with Laurier and Waterloo.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
[quote=YoYoYo232]
Not really hyping my program as I've basically dropped out of it. [/QUOTE]
So how can you recommend it? You said you hated the program.

"Having a DD is not going to immediatly make you stand out to a recruiter from other applicants, especially not one from laurier. Is it really worth the effort?"

Are you kidding me? How many double degree programs are there in Ontario? The only one's that I've heard of in business are the ones with Laurier and Waterloo.

This alone proves your ignorance.

There are quite a few business programs in Canada that provide the opportunity for a double major with a business course.
Ivey is of course probably the most well known for their business double degrees, but Queens, U of T, McMaster (Degroote), UBC, McGill I believe to some extent, Carleton, Ryerson, Guelph...I could go on. Most schools will provide you with the opportunity to do a double major which you would choose in second year.

I agree that a double degree can make you stand out, if you received it through Ivey AEO, or from U of T or Queens of McGill, but even then it won't be a huge difference. Employers do not immediatly take the applicant with the largest quantity of degrees.
If you're coming from laurier you should be counting on your co-op experience to land a job, and if this doesn't work out Laurier bba has a well enough reputation within its region that you could probably find something sooner or later, but even when you do what are the chances you are going to be in any job that will actually require your financial math degree are slim to none.

Sure, go ahead and get as many degrees as you can possibly get accepted to, it certaintly won't hurt your chances of finding employment after graduation, I'm just doubting the ability of this particular DD to make itself worthwhile.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
chara, the OP was asking his/her of being accepted

i dont understand why you have to put him/her down by saying its a useless degree (which i dont think it is)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@Jack555 wrote

i dont understand why you have to put him/her down by saying its a useless degree (which i dont think it is)

Ya, and I think I gave my answer to that in my first post, along for my answer to the poster above me explaining why the admission average for DD FM is lower than for the DD waterloo math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scollyhunter scollyhunter

@Chara wrote

@Jack555 wrote

Ya, and I think I gave my answer to that in my first post, along for my answer to the poster above me explaining why the admission average for DD FM is lower than for the DD waterloo math.

First off, I think Chara will be going to Queens next year (he fits the profile).

Second, the name of your school will have little effect on your future career. If an individual is going to be successful in life, the "brand name" of the degree will mean absolutely nothing.

Now if you're like Chara over here, and are seemingly dependent on the name of the university and the name of the degree...well then, you aren't going very far at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ono ono

@YoYoYo232 wrote

what final average do you need to maintain for DD?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@ono wrote

@YoYoYo232 wrote

what final average do you need to maintain for DD?

It will tell you in your acceptance package.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@immaculatedx wrote

I think he/she wants to know to have an idea what mark they will need to maintain should they be accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz
I applied there with a high 80 average...
Just I dont know how to program T_T ( and u gota take it first year)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

I think he/she wants to know to have an idea what mark they will need to maintain should they be accepted.

After you get accepted you need you maintain an average of 82% until graduation
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@EastSideBoyz wrote
I applied there with a high 80 average...
Just I dont know how to program T_T ( and u gota take it first year)

Dont worry, its a beginner level programming course. As long as you attend all the lectures and complete all your assignments, you will be fine!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shandal shandal

@scollyhunter wrote

@Chara wrote

@Jack555 wrote

First off, I think Chara will be going to Queens next year (he fits the profile).

Second, the name of your school will have little effect on your future career. If an individual is going to be successful in life, the "brand name" of the degree will mean absolutely nothing.

Now if you're like Chara over here, and are seemingly dependent on the name of the university and the name of the degree...well then, you aren't going very far at all.

L0L BRO YOU WERE RIGHT...DAMN!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
crap just got real up in here
Was this helpful? Yes 0