yconic - Laurier BBA CO-OP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA CO-OP

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith
Do you choose whether or not you want Co-op after you get accepted? Also is Co-op guaranteed you if want it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of lmao lmao
1. Yes, you do choose if you want Co-op after you get accepted. Not like Waterloo where you have to do it.

2. No Co-op is not guaranteed if you want it. People usually fight for co-op spots, and it's pretty intense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of paramecium paramecium
How do they fight?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dankup dankup

@paramecium wrote
How do they fight?

With fists.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith
What I mean is, can you be guaranteed a spot in the co-op program, not guaranteed a co-op job. For example, for Waterloo you have to find your own job even though the program is co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair
Basically, you have to compete with other SBE students for a spot to be in the co-op program. Once you get in, you can apply for co-op jobs (you're allowed to find your own placements if you want to but the school finds some co-op job postings for its students).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@JoeSmith wrote
What I mean is, can you be guaranteed a spot in the co-op program, not guaranteed a co-op job. For example, for Waterloo you have to find your own job even though the program is co-op.

All co-op programs are like that... You still have to apply and go through interviews and be liked by employers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mattclements1 mattclements1
I agree. Fists are how the final decisions are made
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
theres a cutoff and the grade increases every year
this year it was GPA 8 (73%)
when you meet the grade requirement, Laurier will interview and rank you based on 25% marks 25% ec's, 25% volunteer exp, 25% work exp...once u pass the interview you apply to the jobs available :cheese:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loveloveme loveloveme
What is the success rate of getting CO-OP?
As in what is the percentage of students in Laurier BBA actually get CO-OP?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
You apply for co-op after first year. As iDream said, cutoff GPA of 8, then its between marks, ECs, volunteer and work experience.

I heard something like 200 last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loveloveme loveloveme

@g93 wrote
You apply for co-op after first year. As iDream said, cutoff GPA of 8, then its between marks, ECs, volunteer and work experience.

200 out of what?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@loveloveme wrote

@g93 wrote

200 out of what?

einfo says 600, but people on here that go to Laurier say thats old and there is more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@g93 wrote

@loveloveme wrote

@g93 wrote

200 out of what?

einfo says 600, but people on here that go to Laurier say thats old and there is more.

its actually around 600
and approx 50% get in
people say 25% for each criteria, but i think its more like 35% marks, 30% work exp, 20% ec`s and 15% volunteer cuz i know people with 11.6 and 11.5 GPA that got into big 4 with 1 ec, no volunteer, and no work exp.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iDream wrote

@g93 wrote

@loveloveme wrote

@g93 wrote

200 out of what?

its actually around 600
and approx 50% get in
people say 25% for each criteria, but i think its more like 35% marks, 30% work exp, 20% ec`s and 15% volunteer cuz i know people with 11.6 and 11.5 GPA that got into big 4 with 1 ec, no volunteer, and no work exp.

That breakdown looks better. I would think marks would play the biggest part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0