yconic - Laurier BBA electives
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA electives

A photo of brad1234 brad1234
What are some good electives to take first year of Laurier's BBA program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
34 replies

A photo of g93 g93
GG102- huge bird course, slightly interesting, a lot of people takes it
CP102- even bigger bird course, kind of useful (introduces you to various computer programs), a lot of people takes it
AS101- another joke course, no labs as well, slightly interesting, another easy A/A+ most likely
SL100- talking to Laurier student on this forum (can't remember username) it's the biggest bird course, online, plus it is 1.0 credit fit in one term, so that is really good, 3 essays and one exam, it's easier than Grade 12 English, people with 70s in Grade 12 Eng get A's in this course

Supposedly any language course is easy. Honourable mention to GG101 and PS101/102
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the help! Ill have to take a look at these.:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
SL100- talking to Laurier student on this forum (can't remember username) it's the biggest bird course, online, plus it is 1.0 credit fit in one term, so that is really good, 3 essays and one exam, it's easier than Grade 12 English, people with 70s in Grade 12 Eng get A's in this course

Is it interesting though??? Because it sounds boring (not that their description helps me out with 2 lines...)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

Is it interesting though??? Because it sounds boring (not that their description helps me out with 2 lines...)

I'm not sure, PM LSMC, the aforementioned Laurier student who gave the info.

Personally I don't really care how interesting it is. It's online, so you can spend no time on it and still do well (as long as you remember to do the work each week).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok I'll send him a message thanks! :)

I've never taken an online course so I wouldn't really know what to expect :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote
Ok I'll send him a message thanks! :)

I've never taken an online course so I wouldn't really know what to expect :p

I am taking one now, it's really easy, as long as you keep up with your work. A lot of people don't hand in assignments, and end up with zeros. One of my teachers the other day was asking me about my online course and said that the failure rates are extremely high because people don't keep up with them. I think one of the other reasons why I am doing well is that I don't care to sit through a note and have the teacher blab on for an hour about how to do a certain thing. I prefer to look at it for two minutes, then figure out how to do it in 5 minutes on my own. If I have a question, I ask the teacher for a quick answer. I don't need to be babied through things step by step, that is just wasted time to me.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LSMC LSMC
AS101, CP102 and SL100 for sure. Lots of my friends got A's in Financial Math (MA170) claiming it was bird but then again they were good at math (if you are too, then it's probably a good choice). Heard Human Geo and French were also really easy as well. Psych can be if you're into it but those who hated it did poorly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Supposedly any language course is easy. Honourable mention to GG101 and PS101/102 [/quote]

Would a language course still be easy even if you don't know much about it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@brad1234 wrote

I'd assume so as they have different levels. For example for French they have one where you basically have no previous knowledge. That's different from the one I would take since I've completed Grade 12 French.

In fact it might even be easier because you could always ask someone like me for help haha ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@brad1234 wrote

I'd assume so as they have different levels. For example for French they have one where you basically have no previous knowledge. That's different from the one I would take since I've completed Grade 12 French.

In fact it might even be easier because you could always ask someone like me for help haha ;)

+ 1

I would think French would be good because there would be enough people to help you. If you take Arabic you may have a tougher time finding someone to help you conjugate verbs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@brad1234 wrote

+ 1

I would think French would be good because there would be enough people to help you. If you take Arabic you may have a tougher time finding someone to help you conjugate verbs.

ok good to know... I was also wondering if you take all bird course electives, do they take that into consideration when looking at your average for co-op?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@brad1234 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@brad1234 wrote

+ 1

ok good to know... I was also wondering if you take all bird course electives, do they take that into consideration when looking at your average for co-op?

They only look at your core-GPA, so that would be: BU111, BU121, EC120, EC140 and Math/Calc (usually MA129), so everyone has the same courses, with math/calc being the only exception. I don't know if they take what math course you took into consideration.

But when you are applying to co-op jobs (or just any summer/part-time job, scholarships, etc.) then you can put down your cumulative-GPA, which would include all of your bird courses.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@g93 wrote

@brad1234 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@brad1234 wrote

+ 1

They only look at your core-GPA, so that would be: BU111, BU121, EC120, EC140 and Math/Calc (usually MA129), so everyone has the same courses, with math/calc being the only exception. I don't know if they take what math course you took into consideration.

But when you are applying to co-op jobs (or just any summer/part-time job, scholarships, etc.) then you can put down your cumulative-GPA, which would include all of your bird courses.

word. I'm done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LSMC LSMC
Don't know who said that but co-op cutoffs are based on overall GPAs which includes your electives (should only drag you up unless you're an Econ wizard and/or have an easy BU TA). Co-op jobs tend to look at grades more specifically to your sector (e.g. if you're going for a Financial Analyst Intern position, it may require a 10+ in a 3rd Year Finance course and etc.).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplz93 jplz93
I just had a question, how do you guys know what courses each code corresponds to and what are the offered courses? did u get a program guide or something?
I didn't accept my offer yet, going to accept soon. Is this information available to me when I accept the offer?
thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jplz93 wrote
I just had a question, how do you guys know what courses each code corresponds to and what are the offered courses? did u get a program guide or something?
I didn't accept my offer yet, going to accept soon. Is this information available to me when I accept the offer?
thanks!

1. Undergraduate Calendar

2. Application Guide- What you would get if you accepted your offer (link probably won't work, will take you to wlu.ca instead, if it doesn't, PM me and I can e-mail it to you, it is REALLY useful, gives all of the times for courses so you can build your schedule)

3. LORIS Dynamic Schedule- You can check how many people are signed up for each class/lab, what building they are in, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What happened to MA130 Calculus for SBE students? Have they removed this course or has it been changed? Thought I would take it after MA129.
Which are easy electives to take if I would like to avoid Essays and writing components.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dxb2ont wrote
What happened to MA130 Calculus for SBE students? Have they removed this course or has it been changed? Thought I would take it after MA129.
Which are easy electives to take if I would like to avoid Essays and writing components.

All I know is you have to take MA129, MA103 or MA110 (1.0 credit) to fulfill your first year math/calc requirement.

CP102 (computers), GG102 (human geo) and AS102 (astronomy) and I think (?) PS101/PS102/PS100 (Psych- I've heard it's just memorizing). GG101 (physical geo)as well, but not as easy as GG102.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

All I know is you have to take MA129, MA103 or MA110 (1.0 credit) to fulfill your first year math/calc requirement.

CP102 (computers), GG102 (human geo) and AS102 (astronomy) and I think (?) PS101/PS102/PS100 (Psych- I've heard it's just memorizing). GG101 (physical geo)as well, but not as easy as GG102.

What abotu Sl100? I don't like writing essays but if it means an easy A should I choose it. By the way g93 are you headed to Laurier or is AFM your First choice?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@dxb2ont wrote

@g93 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

What abotu Sl100? I don't like writing essays but if it means an easy A should I choose it. By the way g93 are you headed to Laurier or is AFM your First choice?

Relax, its not easy to get an easy A... you have to be really good at writing essays :$

B, B+, A- is what most of the people get.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@LSMC wrote
Don't know who said that but co-op cutoffs are based on overall GPAs which includes your electives (should only drag you up unless you're an Econ wizard and/or have an easy BU TA). Co-op jobs tend to look at grades more specifically to your sector (e.g. if you're going for a Financial Analyst Intern position, it may require a 10+ in a 3rd Year Finance course and etc.).

true that.. micro and macro pulled my total GPA down by 2 grade points :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iDream wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@g93 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

Relax, its not easy to get an easy A... you have to be really good at writing essays :$

B, B+, A- is what most of the people get.

Oh lol I thought it was a complete bird course, w would you suggest if I'm looking at easy courses without essay writing. So far I've got CP102, AS102, GG102 thanks to g93 how about Ma170 financial mathematics? do you know what happened to MA130 it seems to have disappeared.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dxb2ont wrote

@g93 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

LSMC said that there are people with 70s in HS Eng getting A's, but as iDream noted some people only get B, B+, A-. 3 essays and an exam is all it is, so the essays are a big portion, so if you don't want to write essays (or aren't good at it) then it might not be your best bet. I'm thinking kinda boring too.

Right now, I am leaning towards AFM. If I get a Fellowship, it's too good to pass up, but I am definitely still considering Laurier, and wouldn't be overly surprised if that's where I end up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
I heard AS102 is not a bird course. MA130 is now MA129 lol. CP102 & GG102 are the easiest! MA170 is hard but some people do well on it. If you guys want to take a look at SL100 essay topics, here it is:

#1 - Minor Assignment
Select two or three articles from newspapers or popular magazines/journals, (in either paper or electronic version) about current social welfare issues, debates, proposals etc. Discuss how these current issues, debates, proposals etc are similar to issues in the past and how they are different. Use notes from the Lessons and reading assignments - primarily from lessons #1-#4, but you can draw from other lessons as well.

Write your paper as if you were writing a commentary on social welfare for the newspaper. Remember to list the newspaper (or electronic) sources you are referring to and the sources from the course that you are using to back up the points you are making.

LENGTH: approximately 1500 words in length (6 pages).

GRADE: 10%

#2 - Intermediate Assignment
The provision of social services is an important aspect of the social welfare continuum. These services are provided privately and publicly from agencies and organizations based locally, regionally, provincially, nationally and internationally.
Your assignment requires you to arrange a visit to a social welfare agency/organization and interview one of its representatives. By now, you should be able to determine what a social service agency is. If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask me.

The purpose of the agency visit is to gather information from the interview, and any written material such as annual reports, organizational charts, program descriptions, funding sources, promotional brochures, etc.

From the material collected, you are required to prepare an assessment brief on that organization. The brief should address the following themes:

agency origin and brief history,
purpose and function,
organizational framework and funding,
method of service delivery,
pertinent legislation that affects the agency,
effectiveness and efficiency review,
your thinking about the future needs and direction of the agency.
Remember to include footnotes and bibliography. Agencies are extremely busy. It is recommended that you have made contact with the agency by week 3 of the course to ensure enough lead time for the agency representative to have time to meet with you.
The internet can be a useful source for information about most agencies.

As well, reviewing the Text, Chapter 14, "Agencies in General" and Chapter 15 "Industries and the Provision of Social Services", can give you additional overview information and help you prepare your questions.
Some agencies work with very troubled individuals. If you have selected such an agency for your visit, remember that the agency will do its best to protect you, but you are taking a risk. If you encounter inappropriate behaviour, let the agency representative know, and you can certainly leave. I would ask that you let me know as well. Students have found this assignment to be extremely rewarding.

LENGTH: Maximum of 2000 to 2500 words
( eight to ten typed pages, double spaced)

GRADE: 15%

N.B. : Please keep in mind that in approaching the agency/organization it must be recognized that heavy work pressures may not make it possible to have an interview arranged quickly or conveniently. It is, therefore, advisable to make an appointment at the beginning of the term. See your course schedule for a recommended start time. This will give you time to make an appointment with another agency should your first choice not be able to accommodate you.

#3 - Major Assignment
Select a recent social welfare issue of personal interest or that you would like to learn more about. If you are not sure if your topic fits within social welfare, do not hesitate to ask.
In writing your paper, state how it pertains to social welfare, identify the main issues and link them to the material in the lessons, the CD portion, and the assigned readings. You should have a minimum of 8 different sources, (excluding the course notes & text) the majority from academic journals and texts or from policy planning bodies & social research organizations. As well, you may use material to support your library research from newspapers, journals, news magazines, books, and television programs. The References in the Course Notes are examples of appropriate sources. Newspapers and magazines and television programs are appropriate back-up sources, but should not be your major resource. Clarity and style will constitute 20% of the paper's mark. (See "Common Errors In Style" above).

Remember to include footnotes, endnotes or APA style citing and bibliography. This is a requirement for your paper to be read.

LENGTH: 2500 to 3500 words
(ten to 14 typed pages, double spaced)

GRADE: 25%

[size=7]Feel free to ask any other course materials :)[/size]

Example of one of the GG102 lab assignments:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nniomb4z9slpcaj
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ 1500 words is 6 pages? Yeah, with size 16 font.

Seems pretty easy. Def. taking it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0