yconic - Laurier BBA vs Brock Bacc vs UTM commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA vs Brock Bacc vs UTM commerce

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
looking for opinions for each of the programs listed in the header. Also could you say what you think this years cutoff is.

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of redherring redherring
Personally I would say Laurier, Brock then UTM. Laurier and Brock both have co-op and are ICAO-accredited. The cutoff for Laurier is probably going to be an 87 again, Brock is like an 83 or 84 for co-op, and UTM I'm not quite sure, probably low 80s.

Why aren't you applying to Schulich, AFM or Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@redherring wrote
Personally I would say Laurier, Brock then UTM. Laurier and Brock both have co-op and are ICAO-accredited. The cutoff for Laurier is probably going to be an 87 again, Brock is like an 83 or 84 for co-op, and UTM I'm not quite sure, probably low 80s.

I agree I should've tried for AFM...but i received a pretty low mark for AF so schulich wouldn't be realistic...and I don't think queens will be the best choice for someone pursuing accounting...especially given they don't give all of the 51 credit hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redherring redherring

@Viking21 wrote

@redherring wrote

I agree I should've tried for AFM...but i received a pretty low mark for AF so schulich wouldn't be realistic...and I don't think queens will be the best choice for someone pursuing accounting...especially given they don't give all of the 51 credit hours.

You can still apply. And yeah Schulich's cutoff is quite high so one low mark does hurt.

Queen's does have 51 credit hours. I think you just complete some diploma program or something, stay back one semester. That's common at all programs though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@redherring wrote

@Viking21 wrote

@redherring wrote

You can still apply. And yeah Schulich's cutoff is quite high so one low mark does hurt.

Queen's does have 51 credit hours. I think you just complete some diploma program or something, stay back one semester. That's common at all programs though.

I can't apply for schulich anymore...supplementary app deadline is over :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of briantfkwok briantfkwok

@redherring wrote

For Laurier Co-op, you don't get to actually apply into it until second year. And for that, the cut-off is high 80 average in your first year of uni. Being in co-op doesn't necessarily make it easier to get a job, but it does help you search for jobs easier. Laurier co-op recommends you apply for 40 jobs as a minimum in your second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@briantfkwok wrote

For Laurier Co-op, you don't get to actually apply into it until second year. And for that, the cut-off is high 80 average in your first year of uni. Being in co-op doesn't necessarily make it easier to get a job, but it does help you search for jobs easier. Laurier co-op recommends you apply for 40 jobs as a minimum in your second year.

That's just retarded. Who the hell is going to take the time to apply to 40 jobs? I would rather be unemployed. Putting this in prospective, I go to Brock, I had an 82 average, I applied to 7 jobs and had 3 interviews with 2 offers. 40 is just obsurd.

If what Briantfkwok says is true, you should consider UTM or Brock. UTM has a pretty high hiring rate among the big 4 (except deloitte). Brock you can still easily land a big 4 job, and you don't need to have some 90 average to do it (although you are going to need atleast an 80).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@kiddinaround wrote

@briantfkwok wrote

That's just retarded. Who the hell is going to take the time to apply to 40 jobs? I would rather be unemployed. Putting this in prospective, I go to Brock, I had an 82 average, I applied to 7 jobs and had 3 interviews with 2 offers. 40 is just obsurd.

If what Briantfkwok says is true, you should consider UTM or Brock. UTM has a pretty high hiring rate among the big 4 (except deloitte). Brock you can still easily land a big 4 job, and you don't need to have some 90 average to do it (although you are going to need atleast an 80).

Waterloo Co-op and Career Services (the guys who run the largest co-op program in the world) recommend that students in first year apply to 50 co-op jobs, regardless of discipline (50 is the maximum number of ongoing applications). The more jobs you apply to, the greater chance you get a job. The jobs are highly competitive and in first year many students do not look as attractive to employers. Some students apply to less and are able to get away with it. I know a student who applied to the Big 4 + 2 and had interviews with all of them (and ended up at one of them). I know someone in engineering who applied to three places, got interviews at two and landed one job.

Perhaps they should suggest you apply to more at Brock so fewer people end up without jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of briantfkwok briantfkwok

@caveman wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@briantfkwok wrote

Waterloo Co-op and Career Services (the guys who run the largest co-op program in the world) recommend that students in first year apply to 50 co-op jobs, regardless of discipline (50 is the maximum number of ongoing applications). The more jobs you apply to, the greater chance you get a job. The jobs are highly competitive and in first year many students do not look as attractive to employers. Some students apply to less and are able to get away with it. I know a student who applied to the Big 4 + 2 and had interviews with all of them (and ended up at one of them). I know someone in engineering who applied to three places, got interviews at two and landed one job.

Perhaps they should suggest you apply to more at Brock so fewer people end up without jobs.

It's just the first year that you need to apply for 40, second year, it's up to you. Co-op just gives you an easier way into companies, because hiring co-op students is good for the company, it helps create relationships with schools that they might pull most of their future employees from. Like connections are everything, I mean I'm not in co-op and P&G, since I know a few people who are brand managers, provided me a recommendation to get a summer intern position.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
40-50 jobs is just absured. You don't need to apply to that many jobs to get a placement. At that point, it's not even worth getting a placement. You're wasting time on something that in the long run, won't give you a significant advantage.

If you focus on getting decent grades, getting some experience (volunteer or work), and networking a little, you should not need to apply for more than 10. 10 good resumes and cover letters will get you farther than 40-50 cookie cutter ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
All programs you listed are pretty good.

If I were to choose one though, I'd say definitely go for Laurier: amazing student life, co-op opportunities, "accredited", quite affordable, and importantly, broad career options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@kiddinaround wrote
40-50 jobs is just absured. You don't need to apply to that many jobs to get a placement. At that point, it's not even worth getting a placement. You're wasting time on something that in the long run, won't give you a significant advantage.

If you focus on getting decent grades, getting some experience (volunteer or work), and networking a little, you should not need to apply for more than 10. 10 good resumes and cover letters will get you farther than 40-50 cookie cutter ones.

Again, not everyone needs to apply to 40-50 and certainly not everyone does. They simply recommend this so that people don't end up without a job and then start whining about it. They want everyone to be employed so they suggest you apply to as many as possible (just for the first term as well). This is part of the reason that Laurier (Business) and Waterloo (all programs) have such high co-op rates and so few that drop out of the co-op programs.

When I apply for co-op jobs, I'm only applying to 10 or less.
Was this helpful? Yes 0