yconic - Laurier BBA vs McMaster Business 1
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA vs McMaster Business 1

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey so I'm starting to get worried about Queen's/Ivey accepting/rejecting me so I've been thinking of what to do should they reject me. I got into Laurier Honours Business Administration and McMaster Business 1. I also know Laurier is better, but what be the advantages/disadvantages of either? I'm thinking so far that I'd like to go into finance.

Laurier has coop, but does McMaster?

And the thing that really deters me from Laurier is I don't like their campus...McMaster's is great compared to theirs :/

Oh and how does Laurier place in terms of jobs and whatnot compared to McMaster? Like do either schools put anyone of Bay St?

AND last question...I'm guessing both these programs would trump Western BMOS without AEO right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I think you already know that I said Laurier over McMaster hands-down.

McMaster does not have co-op. They do have internships, but so does every other school (including Laurier if you're not in co-op)

I love Laurier's campus personally, but to each their own :) I must admit McMaster's trading floor sounds cool.

Laurier definitely gets better jobs. They get a fair amount of Bg 4 positions, a number of students get in at RIM, the co-op salaries are actually quite good, very high post-grad employment rate, and yes, they do have a nmumber of people going into finance, and there is usually at least one a year that ends up in the US, but often more than one (although some are the DD students) Laurier is a little underrated for finance (although nowhere near Ivey or Queen's and McGill)
I haven't heard of McMaster students really doing much of anything.

Yes, pretty much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
I think you already know that I said Laurier over McMaster hands-down.

McMaster does not have co-op. They do have internships, but so does every other school (including Laurier if you're not in co-op)

I love Laurier's campus personally, but to each their own :) I must admit McMaster's trading floor sounds cool.

Laurier definitely gets better jobs. They get a fair amount of Bg 4 positions, a number of students get in at RIM, the co-op salaries are actually quite good, very high post-grad employment rate, and yes, they do have a nmumber of people going into finance, and there is usually at least one a year that ends up in the US, but often more than one (although some are the DD students) Laurier is a little underrated for finance (although nowhere near Ivey or Queen's and McGill)
I haven't heard of McMaster students really doing much of anything.

Yes, pretty much.

What is Laurier most known for in terms of placements (like do most people go into accounting, finance, etc.)? I know their coop is excellent which I really like :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote
What is Laurier most known for in terms of placements (like do most people go into accounting, finance, etc.)? I know their coop is excellent which I really like :)

30% accounting, 30% finance, 20% marketing, and the rest is supply chain management, HR, and whatever else there is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

30% accounting, 30% finance, 20% marketing, and the rest is supply chain management, HR, and whatever else there is.

Thank you that's good then since that's what I want to do. Hopefully I can transfer to Queen's 2nd year or Ivey 3rd year though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Laurier!!!!! I'm hoping I get in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump

anyone else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier

@Username81 wrote
Hey so I'm starting to get worried about Queen's/Ivey accepting/rejecting me so I've been thinking of what to do should they reject me. I got into Laurier Honours Business Administration and McMaster Business 1. I also know Laurier is better, but what be the advantages/disadvantages of either? I'm thinking so far that I'd like to go into finance.

And the thing that really deters me from Laurier is I don't like their campus...McMaster's is great compared to theirs :/

Oh and how does Laurier place in terms of jobs and whatnot compared to McMaster? Like do either schools put anyone of Bay St?

AND last question...I'm guessing both these programs would trump Western BMOS without AEO right?

believe it or not, you are more likely to get employed after uni if you goto McMaster. There is a theory that a manager would rather hire someone that is from the same uni as they went to than another one. Mcmaster has a lot of Accounting/Financial Firm owners. This is what I heard from a 2 year mcmaster student
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote

@Username81 wrote

believe it or not, you are more likely to get employed after uni if you goto McMaster. There is a theory that a manager would rather hire someone that is from the same uni as they went to than another one. Mcmaster has a lot of Accounting/Financial Firm owners. This is what I heard from a 2 year mcmaster student

Well there's your problem.

Laurier is definitely the better school. 6 months after graduating they have a 96% employment rate.

This is not to say McMaster is a bad school. It's like choosing between a Bentley and a BMW. The Bentley is better, but the BMW is still a BMW. And some people might choose the BMW over the Bentley (albeit less people would choose this way).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Sanguine wrote

@g93 wrote

@universityapplier wrote

@Username81 wrote

Well there's your problem.

Laurier is definitely the better school. 6 months after graduating they have a 96% employment rate.

This is not to say McMaster is a bad school. It's like choosing between a Bentley and a BMW. The Bentley is better, but the BMW is still a BMW. And some people might choose the BMW over the Bentley (albeit less people would choose this way).

Disagree with analysis.

If Laurier is a Bentley, what are Western (AEO)/York/Queen's/McGill?

Bugatti, Lambourghini, Ferrari, and Aston Martin (in that order)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sanguine wrote
If Laurier is a Bentley, what are Western (AEO)/York/Queen's/McGill?

I am excluding U of T from this list.

Rolls Royce ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted