yconic - Laurier BBA vs Queens Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA vs Queens Commerce

A photo of PSPman06 PSPman06
Hey guys, I know for some of you this probably seems like a stupid question but I am honestly SOOO confused. I am thinking about Accounting but at the same time, I dont want to limit my career choices. Finance is also another big option for me (:

Laurier BBA

Pros
-amazing co op
-not to far from home (one hour)
-program is not as hard i have heard

Cons
-beside all the afm kids, and i got rejected LOL -__-
-co op is not for sure, you need to apply
-reputation is presumably less than of queens

Queens Commerce

Pros
-seems like overall amazing program
-top three business school
-stats are good

Cons
-SO FAR AWAY LOL (three hours)
-pretty expensive (more than laurier)
-might not fit in (heard its all white kids, i dont really care just a rumor) i am brown (:

GUYS I AM SO CONFUSED ANY HELP WOULD BE JUST AMAZING!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm assuming you're from K-W area?

I applied to Laurier, it's what everyone who's interested in business at my school does, and gave the program some thought. I thought of every possible pro to the program, but ultimately I decided that Queen's is better and will likely be attending Queen's next fall (or Waterloo AFM-PA). To me it is the better program.

Talk to g93, he applied to Laurier and not Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
Lol my friend last year chose Laurier over Queens cuz the co-op program really did turn him on. But his GPA is no close to the co-op cut-off so he regrets now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of currymasta currymasta

@iDream wrote
Lol my friend last year chose Laurier over Queens cuz the co-op program really did turn him on. But his GPA is no close to the co-op cut-off so he regrets now.

is it hard to maintain a high GPA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@currymasta wrote

@iDream wrote

what does high mean to you? like 10+ ?

This should give u an idea: http://www.wlu.ca/documents/44533/2009-_2010.pdf

Do remember that there are 1000+ of first years in the business and economics faculty.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of currymasta currymasta

@iDream wrote

@currymasta wrote

@iDream wrote

what does high mean to you? like 10+ ?

This should give u an idea: http://www.wlu.ca/documents/44533/2009-_2010.pdf

Do remember that there are 1000+ of first years in the business and economics faculty.

like high enough to get co-op second year. and honour roll sounds crazy to achieve lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Well a GPA of 10.0+ is pretty safe for co-op. I have been told that if you are 11.0+ you won't be turned away, and if you are 10-11, as long as you have decent ECs/work experience/volunteer you'll be fine. If you are 9-10, you are going to need good ECs/work experience and if you are 8-9 (minimum 8.0 to be considered) you will need REALLY good ECs/work experience. Think of it as applying to universities from high school. They aren't going to turn away the guys with 98-99 averages, as long as you are mid-90s you are safe, low 90s is a little tighter, high 80s you need to show something else and mid-80s is nearly impossible (eg Ivey AEO).

Approximately 600 students apply for co-op, so you can get an idea with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

how hard is it to get a GPA of 9+ then? you make it sound like its something that is very hard to get and I dont really know how to compare my high school marks to uni marks

right now after trying not that hard i was able to get a 90.2 average top 6. I have okay ECs and believe I can write okay. What does that compare to GPA wise and how well would my chances are at laurier co op.

and is it true if you dont make it to co op in 2nd year then that means no co op for you forever??? because thats a scary thing
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@PSPman06 wrote
how hard is it to get a GPA of 9+ then? you make it sound like its something that is very hard to get and I dont really know how to compare my high school marks to uni marks

really can't tell you. Most students are above 8.0, so that is the only indication I can give you.

right now after trying not that hard i was able to get a 90.2 average top 6. I have okay ECs and believe I can write okay. What does that compare to GPA wise and how well would my chances are at laurier co op.

ard to say. Remember that everyone in the program will be coming in with an average similar to yours. If you work hard though, I'm sure you can get 9.0+ easily.

and is it true if you dont make it to co op in 2nd year then that means no co op for you forever??? because thats a scary thing

Yes, that is true. You can still try and get summer internships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
Great question, Ashar!

Queen's recruitment is a lot better than Laurier's. So if you succeed at Queen's, you will have access to some of the top employers in the country.

In terms of Laurier's BBA Co-op, you shouldn't base your decision on something that isn't guaranteed. Although, I'm pretty confident you would attain a co-op position anyway.

Also, Queen's alumni >>> Laurier's.

I'd say Queen's just because it provides far more opportunities. Both of the schools have GREAT campus feels though, can't go wrong with either.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd highly recommend visiting both of the campuses. You can speculate whether or not you'd feel comfortable in a school that is predominantly-white, but you never know. If you VISIT the campus, then you can at least get an idea if it really does play a factor at all for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Laurier for accounting
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
I found this in another forum comparing Ivey and Queen's, hopefully this helps.

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

@peppers wrote
Clearly both schools are fantastic but it would be great to have someone with experience break it down for us grade 12s. There must many advantages that they have over each other...it doesn't seem as simple as "go to the school that appeals to you."

Personally, I am choosing between Rotman, Ivey (AEO) and Queens and am leaning towards Ivey (it’s a great problem to have :)).

Hopefully I can help here. I can't compare both schools because I don't attend Ivey and clearly I have a serious bias. I would be careful if anyone from any school says they know enough about two different schools to compare them objectively. I compiled a list of things that think make Queen's stand out for a previous post so you might have seen it before. Maybe get someone from Ivey to something similar and you'll have a good idea of where the differences lie. Other suggestion is to pick aspects of university, give them a 1-5 rating for each school and then weight them by importance (we did this for exchange picking schools are it was really helpful).

1. Tight-knit program
• Small graduating class size 450: you’ll get know almost everyone
• Class sections capped at 80 (smaller in upper-years): Great for in-class discussion and participation, everyone has name tags so your classmates and professors known your name
• You address your question to the professor directly, not TAs: they have weekly office hours and are very quick at answering e-mails, Profs almost participate in student social activities and just generally very approachable
• All your classes are located in one building (Goodes Hall) – hub of activity at all time or night and day.
• Your work will be mostly done in groups, so you get to work with a variety of people and get to know your class mates
• 4 year program: extensive business knowledge, solid foundation is ALL fields (experience with all types of teaching, not just cases) and close relationships with class mates

2. Goodes Hall
• Beautiful home of the business programs: undergrad, MBA, masters, PhD (2004 renovations amalgamated with 1800s school house)
• Almost a “school in itself”: we have our own business career centre (help you find jobs, build your resumé), academic & personal counsellors, IT centre (fix your computer and give you a loaner for free), printing centre (with Bloomberg terminal), café, international centre (arrange exchange) – these are all exclusive to Business students

3. Student Involvement
• HUGE differentiating factor for QC
• This applies to Queen’s in general and particularly Commerce
• Easy for everyone is involved in one thing or another because it’s not a commuter schools
• ComSoc (Commerce Society) is the largest business student society, encompasses 10 conferences (some running over $100 000 budgets, recruiters and alumni come to each of these so great networking), 4 case competitions, 2 business, 27 internal committees (including us, High School Liaison) all entirely student run
• Examples: QMAC (marketing conference), QCIB (international business conference), QSIC (sports), QBFFI (fashion), ICBC (case competition that attracts people from all over the world), QCIA (opportunity to go to a developing nation to help build a school), Commerce Kids (volunteer weekly at an elementary school), etc.
• Almost 700 unique positions in ComSoc, so there’s an opportunity for everyone to get involved with what their passionate about
• Amazing leadership, interview and business experience: best way to apply in-class knowledge
• Check out comsoc.queensu.ca
• CSR Certificate: I’m not pursuing it, but its great way to differentiate yourself by taking certain classes, volunteering and participating in 3 CSR weekends over 4 years

4. International Opportunities
• First priority for the Dean, David Saunders; driving factor behind the expansion of the program (from 300 to 450) – to increase QC’s international reputation and footprint
• EXCHANGE! Best experience of your life. I spent the fall in Belgium, was able to travel to 10 different countries and it was unreal, I can’t say enough about it.
• Great opportunity to meet and network abroad, as well as get a summer or long term job abroad
• 9% of 2010 grads were placed in jobs outside of Canada

5. Career
• Excellent reputation
• 93% job placement rate 6 months after graduation
• 30%+ pursue CA (90%+ success rate at first attempt at UFE test)
• Lots of on campus recruiting (Business Career Weeks in Sept and Jan), company reps are present at each and every conference - GREAT networking opportunity
• Business Career Centre
• Ability to contact alumni for informational interviews (and they are willing to help)
• http://business.queensu.ca/student_career_services/index.php

6. School Spirit
• Lives up to the reputation and more!
• Frosh Week is the best time of your life (after exchange)
• You should have seen this place when we went to the Vanier Cup
• Queen’s has had a very tough year with six student deaths in 12 months...in the case of the school has rallied together with events such as Queen’s Loves U and the Queen’s Lipdub
• Queen’s Community isn’t a myth, it’s 100% real
• Everyone lives within 10 min walk from each other, 90% people live in res first year (so everyone is living away from home for the first time)– everyone’s connected by these similar experiences

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
yeah looks like 50-60% first year students in the business and economics faculty are above 8.0 GPA :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@iDream wrote
yeah looks like 50-60% first year students in the business and economics faculty are above 8.0 GPA :)

I would think closer to 60% because of transfer students right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what about money wise?

I am still confused as to queens or laurier.

i dont want to regret two years later saying "i should have picked a top tier school like queens over laurier"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what about money wise?

i dont want to regret two years later saying "i should have picked a top tier school like queens over laurier"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@PSPman06 wrote
what about money wise?

Thats a personal decision.

Laurier is obviously cheaper, even more so if you live in the area.

But you get what you pay for, and you need to decide if you/your family can afford to send you to Queens and decide for yourself if it worth it for you or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0