yconic - Laurier BBA vs Rotman Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA vs Rotman Commerce

A photo of jplz93 jplz93
Soo what should I pick? I'm leaning towards Laurier because of its school spirit, away from home, and easier to get a good GPA as I plan on going to grad school after (law). The only value in Rotman is that you get the international recognition and name of UoT....what school you guys think is better? :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
They're both good. Personally I would choose Laurier, but just choose the program you think you will enjoy better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo
Both are good.

However, it is true that obtaining a GPA of 3.3 + is pretty difficult in rotman as the average mark for students in RC range from 67-72%. I also hear that U of T's internship program PEY (Professional Experience Year) is pretty difficult for second/third year commerce students to get in.

Personally, I'd choose Rotman because of it's international reputation, as well as the benefit of being exposed to a downtown Toronto lifestyle. And if you trust in yourself to work hard during your first year, you'll become a sophomore at Rotman Commerce no problem. Also if you do choose U of T, try to get involved in as many clubs as possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you're planning on going to law school, isn't it better to take an Arts degree, or are you going the business path because it leaves you with more options?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Daruki35 wrote
If you're planning on going to law school, isn't it better to take an Arts degree, or are you going the business path because it leaves you with more options?

It doesn't really matter what you choose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplz93 jplz93
^exactly..A business degree gives you more options, and also I'm planning on doing a joint JD/MBA degree, and getting into corporate law...Hence why Laurier would be a better choice, as I can work hard and get good grades, and still have time for some fun, on the other hand Toronto is just too hard to keep up my grades as someone mentioned above^. I like the idea of international recognition tho, and I've heard that both programs are fairly similar?. Also, the idea that UoT is too hard is that a myth to keep slackers away or is it actually too demanding? I'm not willing to take the risk and not get a good gpa for grad school.

You can c im leaning more towards laurier :P but I still like the idea of living in Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hairykangaroo hairykangaroo

@jplz93 wrote
^exactly..A business degree gives you more options, and also I'm planning on doing a joint JD/MBA degree, and getting into corporate law...Hence why Laurier would be a better choice, as I can work hard and get good grades, and still have time for some fun, on the other hand Toronto is just too hard to keep up my grades as someone mentioned above^. I like the idea of international recognition tho, and I've heard that both programs are fairly similar?. Also, the idea that UoT is too hard is that a myth to keep slackers away or is it actually too demanding? I'm not willing to take the risk and not get a good gpa for grad school.

You can c im leaning more towards laurier :P but I still like the idea of living in Toronto.

I've heard that Rotman Commerce uses a bell curve to keep the averages fairly low, but that is not to say that it's impossible to obtain a decent GPA. In fact, my parents are recommending me to go to U of T because it is a very renowned school even here in Canada. My relatives who live overseas did not even realize Laurier existed... but I guess if you're planning to settle in Canada, Laurier is the way to go. My dad who lives in Korea knew some guys who graduated from Rotman Commerce and even he knew that getting into RC's second year is pretty tough.

In the end, both are good schools. Just keep your options broad when it comes to choosing your career path, as many students who predetermine their future usually settle for different occupations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0