yconic - Laurier BBA/BA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier BBA/BA

A photo of Dckchapy Dckchapy
Hey guys, I just wanted your insight on what kind of chances I have in getting in the Laurier BBA/BA and BBA. My marks are as follows:

Final First Semester Marks
Advanced Functions- 86
Food Nutrition and science - 90
Accounting - 93
Biology - 93

Mid Term
Calculus - 94
English - 71(I have no idea what happened)

I know I already blew my chances at at laurier BBA/Math because they require English to be at least 75%, but I hope I still have a decent chance for BBA/BA and BBA. I also submitted my ABS yesterday and honestly think I did really well on it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of dimethylamylamine dimethylamylamine

@Dckchapy wrote
Hey guys, I just wanted your insight on what kind of chances I have in getting in the Laurier BBA/BA and BBA. My marks are as follows:

Advanced Functions- 86
Accounting - 93
Biology - 93

Mid Term
Calculus - 94

I know I already blew my chances at at laurier BBA/Math because they require English to be at least 75%, but I hope I still have a decent chance for BBA/BA and BBA. I also submitted my ABS yesterday and honestly think I did really well on it.

Why are you going into business when your English is so horrible? You might be a better fit for more quantitative majors, like math or engineering. There is a reason why all the top business schools look for academic excellence in English. Communication is a big part of business, and as schools move toward case-learning, the ability to communicate clearly is becoming more and more important.

If you aren't able to achieve honours in high school English, then perhaps you should take it as a proxy to your future success in business (particularly given the fact that you have no idea why your mark is so low).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dckchapy Dckchapy

@dimethylamylamine wrote

@Dckchapy wrote

Advanced Functions- 86
Accounting - 93
Biology - 93

Mid Term
Calculus - 94

Why are you going into business when your English is so horrible? You might be a better fit for more quantitative majors, like math or engineering. There is a reason why all the top business schools look for academic excellence in English. Communication is a big part of business, and as schools move toward case-learning, the ability to communicate clearly is becoming more and more important.

If you aren't able to achieve honours in high school English, then perhaps you should take it as a proxy to your future success in business (particularly given the fact that you have no idea why your mark is so low).

Wow are you seriously defining my communication skills by my ability to analyze Shakespeare's plays (that's all that went into my mind term mark so far). Poetry and literature isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean you can't make in the business world. Even if my English is as terrible as you claim, then it's still isn't enough for me to change career paths. You can always better yourself in English and to give up just because you come short in one certain area is ridiculous. Please don't give anyone university or career advice again. I just wanted other people to give me insight on my chances on getting in the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jdizzy jdizzy
Yes, you should be able to get in with no problem. My marks were very similar to yours, although I did have an 80 in English.

Don't listen to that other poster - guy obviously hasn't heard about the concept of improvement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shandal shandal
lol bro dont listen to that guy. don't take advice/opinions from ppl on these forums, full of over acheivers, kids with no lives and do nothing but bitch and moan about marks and university. I got 60s in grade 9 english, and i honestly thought i was illiterate lol, but i ended up with an 88 grade 12, you just need to put effort into what you do and do it the way your teacher likes it. in english especially, teachers can be bias like hell! shakespear, you dont have to do well in that lmao, my teacher told me they only teach it int he curriculum because its easier for english teachers as it serves as a textbook reference for them. dont worry about your preparedness. ask your teacher for a 3 percent boost in english or something, im pretty sure a lot of these over achievers have, and probably bought thier way into uni lol.

anyways your current avg is like a 87.8, cut off is supposed to be a 87 last year i beleive? so you have some chance of getting in, my friend got in and he had like 70s in advanced functions, but 90s in others which broght him up to a 87 or something. i got in the bba/financial math, and my marks were a 91 for first semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
i think u'll get in. gl (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0