yconic - LAURIER BBA/ECONOMICS
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

LAURIER BBA/ECONOMICS

A photo of beatletheory beatletheory
marks:
advanced functions-89%
english -87%
economics -80%

i have calculus next semester. am i at risk of being accepted into laurier's bba program? is there a good chance of me getting into the economics program? please post some feedback :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of g93 g93
What? Why are you at risk?

High 80s top 6 average (includes Eng 4U, AF and another 4U Math) and you should be good. Admission cut-off I have heard expected to be anywhere from 86 to even 89. 1-3% below the cutoff and they will look at your ABS form, so having good ECs and a well-written ABS will help get you in. If not, you wil lreceive an alternate offer to honours ec as long as your mark is above 80 (maybe even 81 or 82, plus the same 1-3%).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of roadno13 roadno13
Anyone know when they say 1-3% below the "cut off," what is the cut off? Isn't it high 80s? So, 1-3% below 86% or 89%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@roadno13 wrote
Anyone know when they say 1-3% below the "cut off," what is the cut off? Isn't it high 80s? So, 1-3% below 86% or 89%?

The cut-off varies each year, but is "mid to high 80s"

Last year I think it was 86, but I have heard that it is going up and could even be as high as 89.

So, somewhere between 86 and 89 most likely.

Anyone above the cutoff will receive an offer. People 1-3% below the cutoff will have their ABS looked at (some people don't hand them in), and the best people from the ABS will receive an offer. The rest will get an alternate offer to Honours Ec (unless they are below that range ~80)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of roadno13 roadno13
so lets say i get a avg of 87%. This means that I wouldn't know whether or not I am above or below the cut-off, so I should submit the ABS just in case?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@roadno13 wrote
so lets say i get a avg of 87%. This means that I wouldn't know whether or not I am above or below the cut-off, so I should submit the ABS just in case?

Definately submit the ABS. That way if the cut-off is at 88% you still have a chance. Also, it isn't that long, and it can't really hurt you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@North wrote

@roadno13 wrote

Definately submit the ABS. That way if the cut-off is at 88% you still have a chance. Also, it isn't that long, and it can't really hurt you.

+ 1

I am expecting my average to be around 92, but I am submitting mine soon (I've got some of it done) just incase. Afterall, I am only "expecting" :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vincerz vincerz
It probably won't go up past 87. I mean like.. sure we won JDC central for the 2nd year in a row but the program has around 800 spots PLUS all the DD spots giving a total somewhere just under 1000. Plus, it was 88 years ago only because they didn't include pre-reqs in your top 6.

But yeah.. you can't always accurately predict your mark so submitting your ABS can only help you. Make sure you actually put effort into it though. Last year there were students on here 0.3% below the cut off and only an "average" ABS and received an offer for Honours Economics. But 1 or 2 students who were a full 1% below the cut off but a really good ABS got in.

Honestly, getting in isn't hard. If you slacked off a bit or got side tracked because soemthing happened in your life, that's understandable. But anyone that literally worked their ass off putting in 100% effort just to pull off a mark in the mid 80s in HS should reconsider Honours programs in general because working beyond your limit just to stay in a program for 4 years would be hell. I know people who worked their ass off to pass first year with a B- biz-GPA and are having to do it again now and dreading it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@vincerz wrote
It probably won't go up past 87. I mean like.. sure we won JDC central for the 2nd year in a row but the program has around 800 spots PLUS all the DD spots giving a total somewhere just under 1000. Plus, it was 88 years ago only because they didn't include pre-reqs in your top 6.

But yeah.. you can't always accurately predict your mark so submitting your ABS can only help you. Make sure you actually put effort into it though. Last year there were students on here 0.3% below the cut off and only an "average" ABS and received an offer for Honours Economics. But 1 or 2 students who were a full 1% below the cut off but a really good ABS got in.

Honestly, getting in isn't hard. If you slacked off a bit or got side tracked because soemthing happened in your life, that's understandable. But anyone that literally worked their ass off putting in 100% effort just to pull off a mark in the mid 80s in HS should reconsider Honours programs in general because working beyond your limit just to stay in a program for 4 years would be hell. I know people who worked their ass off to pass first year with a B- biz-GPA and are having to do it again now and dreading it.

lol i was one of them! i had to wait till mid june to get accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
wooooot, got accepted on 1/26 (: (:

if you're not sure if you'll make the cutoff, you should def write the ABS!
Was this helpful? Yes 0