yconic - Laurier Business (BBA) - Course Selection - HELP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier Business (BBA) - Course Selection - HELP

A photo of soccerpro12 soccerpro12
So I'm going into Wilfrid Laurier's BBA program next year, and I have to choose 10 courses (5 credits total for first year).

5 courses (2.5 credits) are mandatory - 1 math, 2 economics, and 2 business, and
5 courses (2.5 credits) are elective - so any suggestions for easy bird courses? please explain how/why the course is easy and what the course is about

thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Here we go. Pay attention.

1. Undergraduate Calendar

2. Application Guide- What you would get if you accepted your offer (this is the course selection guide, extremely useful, large PDF file that you will click on link to download)

3. LORIS Dynamic Schedule- You can check how many people are signed up for each class/lab, what building they are in, etc.

And

[quote=g93]What you must take:

First Term: BU111 (Intro to Business Organizations), EC120 (Microeconomics), and a math/calculus course, which is either MA129 (Super-Easy), MA103 (Harder, must get above 70 on CPE), and MA110 (harder, 1.0 credit- full year), and 1.0 non-business electives (generally two classes).

Second Term: BU121 (Functional Areas of Organizations), EC140 (Macroeconomics), and 1.5 non-business electives (generally 3 classes).

There are NO business electives.

SL100 (Social Welfare)- online, 1.0 credit within one term (score!), insanely easy, 3 essays and an exam, people with 70s in HS Eng get A's)
GG102 (Human Geography)- easy, moderately interesting
CP102 (computers)- really easy, somewhat useful
AS101- easy, moderately interesting
PS101/PS102/PS100 (Psych)- fairly easy, sometimes interesting, more memorization

(might add more later)[/quote]Remember that you will have labs or tutorials (eg math/calc will, geography, a few others). They are about an hour or hour and a half long, and the size of a high school class, and more interactive, often taught by TAs. BU111 and BU121 labs will be scheduled in the first week of class.

As for math/calc
MA129- Really easy, repeat of AF/Grade 12 calc
MA103- hard, must get at least a 70 on the CPE
MA110- fairly hard, 1.0 credit (two terms)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
^^^^^All you need.

Make sure you use the links 2 and 3 he posted...VERY USEFUL!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@g93 wrote
Here we go. Pay attention.

SL100 (Social Welfare)- online, 1.0 credit within one term (score!), insanely easy, 3 essays and an exam, people with 70s in HS Eng get A's)
PS101/PS102/PS100 (Psych)- fairly easy, sometimes interesting, more memorization

(might add more later)

is there lots of memorization in astronomy and geography?

and are there any other easy courses? like ones that are somewhat interesting, yet everyone gets A's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@soccerpro12 wrote

and are there any other easy courses? like ones that are somewhat interesting, yet everyone gets A's?

thanks again!

I'm not even sure, they are easy, that's all I know.

Not too many other ones. Psychology is if you can memorize, sociology is moderately easy, mathematics for finance can be easy if you are good at math.

But the only really easy ones are the ones listed (in general)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier

@g93 wrote

@soccerpro12 wrote

thanks again!

Not too many other ones. Psychology is if you can memorize, sociology is moderately easy, mathematics for finance can be easy if you are good at math.

i used the third link you gave us and i cant find astronomy in the fall 2011 term, why is that? im thinking its not available then?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ It should be
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@universityapplier wrote

@g93 wrote

@soccerpro12 wrote

thanks again!

i used the third link you gave us and i cant find astronomy in the fall 2011 term, why is that? im thinking its not available then?

Astronomy is in the winter term
Was this helpful? Yes 0

[quote=g93]

from my understanding, I can either choose to take Human Geography and/or Astronomy online or in class. Would you say that taking one of these courses online would be easier than in class? what are the pros and cons of online vs. classroom?

thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
[quote=soccerpro12]
@g93 wrote

from my understanding, I can either choose to take Human Geography and/or Astronomy online or in class. Would you say that taking one of these courses online would be easier than in class? what are the pros and cons of online vs. classroom?

thanks again!

I think I have heard that the online for these is tougher, but I'm not 100% sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
AS101 online is definitely NOT bird. No idea about GG102 though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iDream wrote

AS101 (in class, not online), is there lots of memorization?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@Username81 wrote

@iDream wrote

AS101 (in class, not online), is there lots of memorization?

Yes there is but easy material :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iDream wrote

how does online defer from in class?

isn't it the same materials/tests? like if were learning about abc in class, we are then tested on it in class. same goes for online no? if they tell us to learn abc (the same material as in class right?), we are then tested in the same way (just online) on abc.

and when its online, we can do all the tests with our notes/books in front of us. so shouldn't it be easier? - that's what I thought.

so how is online more difficult?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@soccerpro12 wrote

@iDream wrote

how does online defer from in class?

isn't it the same materials/tests? like if were learning about abc in class, we are then tested on it in class. same goes for online no? if they tell us to learn abc (the same material as in class right?), we are then tested in the same way (just online) on abc.

and when its online, we can do all the tests with our notes/books in front of us. so shouldn't it be easier? - that's what I thought.

so how is online more difficult?

I know what you mean and your not wrong but the quizzes/assignments/midterms/final exam is different (more challenging) for online :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

[quote=iDream]
@soccerpro12 wrote

@iDream wrote

I know what you mean and your not wrong but the quizzes/assignments/midterms/final exam is different (more challenging) for online :)

so I'm guessing only the final exam is NOT done online? Am I right? Is the exam done with someone supervising you?

And what are you basing your judgement on - have you taken the course yourself, or do you know someone who has (perhaps you can give me their email)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brad1234 brad1234
How hard or easy is psychology? I want to take it because it seems like it would be somewhat interesting but i don't want to take it if it going to be really hard...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AuroraK AuroraK
[quote=soccerpro12]
@iDream wrote

@soccerpro12 wrote

@iDream wrote

so I'm guessing only the final exam is NOT done online? Am I right? Is the exam done with someone supervising you?

And what are you basing your judgement on - have you taken the course yourself, or do you know someone who has (perhaps you can give me their email)?

I guess I can chime in. I took AS101 online and I regretted it. It was a lot more different than in class. You have 4 tests divided over the course of the term worth 10% each. You also have 4 assignments worth 7.5% each. There is no midterm luckily but the final exam was kind of brutal. I blew it on my first test with a failure because I was given the impression of "bird" and it was my first actual test I did in uni.

Tl;dr - Take it in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SteveMcColl SteveMcColl
hey does anyone have an opinion on the classes I'm taking:

Film Studies (film & narrative) im hoping its easy

Medieval Studies (ML100) i forget the name of the class, there is only one, is it interesting?

Psychology 101 (im not too concerned)

Archeaology 101 (intro class, is it fun, how much science is there if any, and is it easy)

CS100 (something about communication idk) how easy, is it boring or fun?

also i was considering programming the CP103, but i have heard it is very hard. i have some programming in C++ which is what they use, right? anyways, what do people think of it?

and lastly, what is the ratio of guys to girls for each of these classes, ya know just a guesstimate by someone who was in them please.

thanks for reading
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AuroraK AuroraK

@SteveMcColl wrote
also i was considering programming the CP103, but i have heard it is very hard. i have some programming in C++ which is what they use, right? anyways, what do people think of it?

and lastly, what is the ratio of guys to girls for each of these classes, ya know just a guesstimate by someone who was in them please.

thanks for reading

I can't speak for those above courses and the social sciences. I avoided them. As for CP104, you program with Python. There's a challenge for credit in this course. You can take the final exam essentially at the beginning of the term and if you get a B I think it was, you can completely pass the course with that grade and thus have one less course to worry about. There's also CP102 which is like introduction to how a computer works and does not require a progamming background whatsoever. But if you are familiar with programming, Excel and HTML should be even easier for you (CP102).

The guy to girl ratio is pretty even split unless you're heading into those harder science/math/cs courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
[quote=soccerpro12]
@iDream wrote

@soccerpro12 wrote

@iDream wrote

The final exam is NOT done online and YES there will be someone supervising you!
Im taking the course right now and i regret it... its just gonna lower my overall GPA :@
Was this helpful? Yes 0