yconic - Laurier Co-op student going into 3rd year
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier Co-op student going into 3rd year

A photo of jantflek jantflek
I'm a student in the Laurier BBA program going into 3rd year, and I'm currently in the co-op program. If anyone has any questions or concerns about your upcoming year, please feel free to ask
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of lovehk78 lovehk78
I was wondering, was it really hard to get into co-op? did you have to work SUPER hard during first year?
what is your concentration?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
How helpful is co-op in finding a job? Do they have any connections with the big banks?

What is your impression on MA 170? Any idea on the difficulty/usefullness of it?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smothy88 Smothy88
In your opinion and the opinion of others, what are the easy electives and which ones should we stay away from.

I still have to pick 2 more and most of the ones I heard are easy are now filled up (astronomy, sociology, computer science, human geography, social welfare). What other courses have you heard are easy and not so easy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of claudiapedraza claudiapedraza
Is MA 103 really hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey

@claudiapedraza wrote
Is MA 103 really hard?

Dont bother unless you want to do something with math down the road. It would only make sense that taking the harder math would lower your gpa for co op admission
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey

@Smothy88 wrote
In your opinion and the opinion of others, what are the easy electives and which ones should we stay away from.

I still have to pick 2 more and most of the ones I heard are easy are now filled up (astronomy, sociology, computer science, human geography, social welfare). What other courses have you heard are easy and not so easy?

What you have there are typically the easy courses. Check Loris daily for openings (happens pretty frequently) and take something you're interested in for now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lovehk78 wrote
I was wondering, was it really hard to get into co-op? did you have to work SUPER hard during first year?
what is your concentration?
Thanks

Hi,

It wasn't super difficult to get into co-op but make sure you get involved first year and keep up decent grades (i.e. B+)

The main reason I got into co-op I believe was my relevant work experience prior to getting into co-op. Although this is difficult to obtain, to make up for it get involved in business related ECs and leadership roles. There are tons of clubs you can get involved with first year in Business/Economics faculty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote
How helpful is co-op in finding a job? Do they have any connections with the big banks?

What is your impression on MA 170? Any idea on the difficulty/usefullness of it?

Co-op does indeed have connections to all banks in Canada. I had an interview with TD bank, but I also got ones with some bigger companies such as Barrick Gold, Diageo (who i'm currently working for), and Manulife.

I never took MA170 so i can't give you an opinion on this
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Smothy88 wrote

To be honest, I really don't like the whole "easy elective" phenomenon that a lot of business students seem to become obsessed with. It really depends what you enjoy, I actually did better in courses that were apparently not so easy than ones like CP102. Take what you think you might be interested in and do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of junior21 junior21
Are all Laurier classrooms equipped with power outlets?

My laptop only gets like 3 hours of battery and is quite bulky. Am I going to be alright for travelling around with it? How easy is access to power around campus and do more students have power/gaming laptops or portable laptops?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@junior21 wrote
Are all Laurier classrooms equipped with power outlets?

My laptop only gets like 3 hours of battery and is quite bulky. Am I going to be alright for travelling around with it? How easy is access to power around campus and do more students have power/gaming laptops or portable laptops?

If you want to power your laptop during class you may need to sit in the front while in a large lecture hall. But if you are in a lab room, there's usually a power outlet near your seat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Mind sharing what your 1st year GPA was?

You also said, "The main reason I got into co-op I believe was my relevant work experience prior to getting into co-op. Although this is difficult to obtain, to make up for it get involved in business related ECs and leadership roles. There are tons of clubs you can get involved with first year in Business/Economics faculty." What are some clubs/positions (especially leadership role ones) that you would recommend to first years?

Thanks! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

You also said, "The main reason I got into co-op I believe was my relevant work experience prior to getting into co-op. Although this is difficult to obtain, to make up for it get involved in business related ECs and leadership roles. There are tons of clubs you can get involved with first year in Business/Economics faculty." What are some clubs/positions (especially leadership role ones) that you would recommend to first years?

Depends what concentration you want to get into. If you do accounting for example get involved with the accounting association and attend CA networking events that occur often. Also you can compete in case competitions, which look impressive on a resume. For leadership, it's pretty difficult to get an executive role since most clubs hire upper year students for these types of positions. However, you can get involved with house council while in residence that is dedicated to first years specifically. For basically any concentration there's an association (finance, accounting, marketing, HR, etc.). But rarely do you actually do anything meaningful aside from attending social affairs. There are multiple volunteer positions that actually get you involved such as JDC Central (university business competition).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jantflek wrote

@Username81 wrote

Depends what concentration you want to get into. If you do accounting for example get involved with the accounting association and attend CA networking events that occur often. Also you can compete in case competitions, which look impressive on a resume. For leadership, it's pretty difficult to get an executive role since most clubs hire upper year students for these types of positions. However, you can get involved with house council while in residence that is dedicated to first years specifically. For basically any concentration there's an association (finance, accounting, marketing, HR, etc.). But rarely do you actually do anything meaningful aside from attending social affairs. There are multiple volunteer positions that actually get you involved such as JDC Central (university business competition).

Thank you :)! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz
what sort of jobs related to accounting do you reccomand?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fridgestar fridgestar
Hey, do you know if the final exams for the main business courses (bu121, etc.) are marked by your lab TA or the profs themselves? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@EastSideBoyz wrote
what sort of jobs related to accounting do you reccomand?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but do you mean what companies are known for accounting? If you want to become a CA go for the Big 4 (Deloitte, KPMG, PwC and EY. But these jobs are highly competitive, I got one interview with Deloitte but ended up not getting a job with them.

If you want to do more CMA jobs, you can work for financial service companies such as Manulife/Sunlife.

If you're asking what sort of jobs you get in co-op that's related to accounting, you would be an assurance/auditor for a CA firm or if you work in a financial services company you can work as a Financial Analyst/Internal Auditor/General Accountant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fridgestar wrote
Hey, do you know if the final exams for the main business courses (bu121, etc.) are marked by your lab TA or the profs themselves? Thanks.

They are marked by your TA not the professor. Although the professor will give the TAs guidelines in how to mark your exam
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fridgestar fridgestar

@jantflek wrote

@fridgestar wrote

They are marked by your TA not the professor. Although the professor will give the TAs guidelines in how to mark your exam

Screw, guess I shouldn't have gotten on my TAs bad side. Do you know if I could check my final exam from 1st year during my 2nd year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jantflek wrote
I got one interview with Deloitte but ended up not getting a job with them.

What was your first year GPA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@jantflek wrote

My GPA in first year was a 10, but it got lower during 2nd year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fridgestar wrote

@jantflek wrote

@fridgestar wrote

screw, guess I shouldn't have gotten on my TAs bad side. Do you know if I could check my final exam from 1st year during my 2nd year?

Hmm i'm not sure, although I don't think you could get your mark changed by then because they would've made your mark official. But you can ask if you just want to see your exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jantflek wrote

@Username81 wrote

@jantflek wrote

Wow that's good! Do you remember what your grade 12 average was too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Username81 wrote

@jantflek wrote

@Username81 wrote

@jantflek wrote

Wow that's good! Do you remember what your grade 12 average was too?

My grade 12 average I think was 92 or 93.
Was this helpful? Yes 0