yconic - Laurier co-op
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier co-op

A photo of brad1234 brad1234
How hard is it to get into Laurier's co-op program? Is it still worth it without co-op?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It is hard to get into co-op, but definitely not impossible. Just make sure you work hard in first year and get in. If you don't get in, you can still get internships in the summer, you just have to compete with the QIMS and others.

Without co-op I would say it's the best that you applied to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm with brad1234...is it worth it without coop? Or would McMaster be about equal to Laurier and no coop?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
I'm with brad1234...is it worth it without coop? Or would McMaster be about equal to Laurier and no coop?

IMO, Laurier - co-op > Mac
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

Sorry but what does IMO mean? :$. And that dash is a minus sign correct? Man I feel like a plug sorry lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Sorry but what does IMO mean? :$. And that dash is a minus sign correct? Man I feel like a plug sorry lol

In My Opinion, Laurier minus co-op is greater than McMaster
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Ah gotcha thank you. Surely not by much though right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Ah gotcha thank you. Surely not by much though right?

I think enough. Not huge, but enough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
depending on how well prepared your high school made you it's not hard at all. Getting 70% gets you into the co-op program for 2nd year and you're pretty much guaranteed a placement somewhere. The only thing that might be difficult is getting somewhere you really want to work at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Asked a Laurier representative about this, apparently 300/800 people get co-op and not all 300 are jobs that may give you relevant work experience.

And by the way, the 800 people that apply for co-op are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@speedy48 wrote
depending on how well prepared your high school made you it's not hard at all. Getting 70% gets you into the co-op program for 2nd year and you're pretty much guaranteed a placement somewhere. The only thing that might be difficult is getting somewhere you really want to work at.

70% is the cutoff, it does not mean you will get in.

If you can't get into co-op and can't land an internship, then you don't deserve a job until you improve, so...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
^that's true 70% is the cut-off thanks for the correction:)
Laurier has a surprisingly high dropout rate which I think is the reason people can get it pretty easily. That's at least what I've heard from relatives and family friend who got into co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@speedy48 wrote
^that's true 70% is the cut-off thanks for the correction:)
Laurier has a surprisingly high dropout rate which I think is the reason people can get it pretty easily. That's at least what I've heard from relatives and family friend who got into co-op.

Yes, their admission standards aren't the same as QIMSR

Some of the people aren't motivated, some party too much, some get distracted, etc.

So if you remove those people, there is a much better chance.

And the 2nd year Laurier student on here, vincerz, said he didn't make co-op, but he got an internship in his first summer.

So either you get co-op, you don't and work hard and get an internship, or you do neither but you're not going to do well anywhere else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Laurier is better, with or without co-op.

It is fairly hard, but nothing unreasonable. Make sure you work hard first year, then you are set (still have to work hard)
Was this helpful? Yes 0