yconic - Laurier Co-Op
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier Co-Op

A photo of SoConfused SoConfused
Hi, I'm planning on going to Laurier for the BBA program in September. I can't seem to get a clear answer from anyone as to what percent of BBA students are accepted into co-op. I've generally found most people saying 50% of people who applied get in. I recently emailed Laurier and received this as a reply:

"Apologies for the delayed response, but I've finally received confirmation from the Co-op office...

They have confirmed that 97% (or higher) of Business students get Co-op jobs!"

I'm really doubting this... when she says 97% is she including those in double degree programs?

Any help would be appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
The 97% is the co-op placement rate for business students, which would be BBA, the Laurier DD, and the Laurier/Waterloo DD (home school Laurier).

IIRC the BBA placement rate is low-mid 90s, obviously fluctuating every year.

Anywhere from 225-275 students are accepted into co-op in the BBA program, so an average of 250. This year they are taking ~235 students.

Approximately 600 students apply for co-op.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair
I think she meant that 97% of students in the co-op program get co-op jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SoConfused SoConfused
So less than 50%..around 40%. well that's much lower than i've heard.

Thanks for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SoConfused wrote
So less than 50%..around 40%. well that's much lower than i've heard.

Thanks for your help!

It's actually lower than that, as 600 students may apply but some are unable to.

The thing is, if you are able to land summer internships and be a top student at some other school, you will be able to get co-op at Laurier no problem, or if you mess up you will be able to get a summer internship fine.

If you don't do well, other schools wouldn't open up much better opportunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.lauriercc.ca/content/documents/Link/First%20Year%20Session%20SBE%202011%20New%20Template%20for%20web.pdf

Check this out^^
600 students apply and 225-235 receive offers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote
http://www.lauriercc.ca/content/documents/Link/First%20Year%20Session%20SBE%202011%20New%20Template%20for%20web.pdf

Check this out^^

That is just for this year. The number receiving is lower than usual.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

Check this out^^

That is just for this year. The number receiving is lower than usual.

Yeah I've heard that its usually around 275
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of junior21 junior21
So when I check my Laurier BBA application it has CO-OP and says No next to it. Does it say no next to everyones?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@junior21 wrote
So when I check my Laurier BBA application it has CO-OP and says No next to it. Does it say no next to everyones?

Yes, because you apply after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of matti369 matti369
good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

On page 13 of that PDF file, it says "students who take 5 courses in winter may be evaluated higher than those who take 4 courses". What do they mean by winter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@missblair wrote
On page 13 of that PDF file, it says "students who take 5 courses in winter may be evaluated higher than those who take 4 courses". What do they mean by winter?

Winter term (Fall term, winter term and spring/summer term)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@missblair wrote

What if we take 4 courses but still end up with 2.5 credits that term (so one of those 4 courses is SL100)? Would we still be evaluated less than someone who took 5 half credit courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@missblair wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@missblair wrote

What if we take 4 courses but still end up with 2.5 credits that term (so one of those 4 courses is SL100)? Would we still be evaluated less than someone who took 5 half credit courses?

I'm not 100% sure, it sounds almost like that, but I think you could take 4 credits and remain full-time and progress to second year, so maybe that is what they mean? You'd think that if you took MA110, the hard math, it wouldn't affect you, right? I'd call them for that one.

Are you going to Laurier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@missblair wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@missblair wrote

I'm not 100% sure, it sounds almost like that, but I think you could take 4 credits and remain full-time and progress to second year, so maybe that is what they mean? You'd think that if you took MA110, the hard math, it wouldn't affect you, right? I'd call them for that one.

Are you going to Laurier?

I'm not sure if I'm going to Waterloo for AFM-PA or Laurier but I just want to know as much as I can about both programs and the courses I'll be taking first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asharq Asharq
do kids in the DD program or MATH/BBA program get more consideration for co-op then just BBA kids. I have a feeling that by choosing just BBA and not the DD programs, I am limiting my options :l
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Asharq wrote
do kids in the DD program or MATH/BBA program get more consideration for co-op then just BBA kids. I have a feeling that by choosing just BBA and not the DD programs, I am limiting my options :l

Supposedly employers take into account the workload that DD students have. A 10.0 GPA in BBA isn't the same as a 10.0 in DD. But they are not just going to give the job to the DD student every time. Sometimes their skill set may be appealing, but often it just comes down to the interview, where you both have an equal chance to impress/sell yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0