yconic - Laurier Math MA129 or MA103
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier Math MA129 or MA103

A photo of BitKosta BitKosta
Which one should I take? Does taking MA129 restrict me from taking any upper year courses? I am looking to do something in accounting or finance...thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of g93 g93
MA129 is really easy = higher GPA = good

BUT

MA103 allows you to take financial math, which you might want to take if you are going through for finance

Take a look at the undergrad calendars and follow the prereqs backwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier

@BitKosta wrote
Which one should I take? Does taking MA129 restrict me from taking any upper year courses? I am looking to do something in accounting or finance...thanks.

if you want to remain flexible, you can always choose both as if you only take 129 it will restrict you if your going into finance. Just my two cents though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@universityapplier wrote

@BitKosta wrote

if you want to remain flexible, you can always choose both as if you only take 129 it will restrict you if your going into finance. Just my two cents though.

You can only take one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It totally eliminates the finance route which is really unfortunate.

Idk which to choose either :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

Where are you getting that from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What about taking one MA129 in the first semester and MA103 in the second? Can you take a math course as an elective?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BitKosta wrote
What about taking one MA129 in the first semester and MA103 in the second? Can you take a math course as an elective?

MA129 is an anti-req to MA103
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

I called them. Plus MA103 or MA110 is a pre-requisite for MA270 (Financial Math I).

Very weird because I would have assumed MA170 would be the pre-req for MA270...apparently not :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

I called them. Plus MA103 or MA110 is a pre-requisite for MA270 (Financial Math I).

Very weird because I would have assumed MA170 would be the pre-req for MA270...apparently not :s

You do not need MA270 in order to take many of the finance concentration courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

You do not need MA270 in order to take many of the finance concentration courses.

Whaaaat??? Then what are the finance concentration courses?

Omg this is too confusing! What is MA170 then!?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

Whaaaat??? Then what are the finance concentration courses?

Omg this is too confusing! What is MA170 then!?

http://www.wlu.ca/calendars/program.php?cal=1&d=952&p=1920&s=440&y=49#Finance

MA170 is a basic financial math course. I am not sure why it is not a prerequisite for MA270.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

I can confirm that the financial math course is not required if you want to concentrate in finance or even if you want to pursue the CFA designation. So no worries!!! its only if you were interested in taking MA270 specifically.
http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=356&p=7137
http://www.wlu.ca/calendars/program.php?cal=1&d=830&p=1635&s=367&y=44#Accounting
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz
Ma129 or MA170, considering Im mediocre at math :( ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

I can confirm that the financial math course is not required if you want to concentrate in finance or even if you want to pursue the CFA designation. So no worries!!! its only if you were interested in taking MA270 specifically.
http://www.wlu.ca/calendars/program.php?cal=1&d=830&p=1635&s=367&y=44#Accounting

This is in response to yours and g93's as I know he'll read this too.

Yeah but surely finance must have math/calculus courses they have to take don't they???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

So MA103 is not required for the CFA designation? :S
According to that site only economics 120/140 is a pre-req
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No it is not required. Only the courses mentioned in that link are required for the CFA. I'm guessing everyone will now pick Ma129 instead :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

This is in response to yours and g93's as I know he'll read this too.

Yeah but surely finance must have math/calculus courses they have to take don't they???

There will be some involved in the courses I am sure, but nothing too heavy, unless you want to do the financial math. But you can get by with doing only minimal amounts of hard math/calc/fin. math.

If you want to keep your options open, MA103 won't be that bad. If you are a strong math/calc student and are willing to put in the work and attend all classes/labs and study really hard, there is no reason why you can't get a good mark in it. It is only Laurier first year calculus - not Waterloo 4th year Algebraic Enumeration.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote
No it is not required. Only the courses mentioned in that link are required for the CFA. I'm guessing everyone will now pick Ma129 instead :P

So I kinda like finance. As in like FINANCE (Bay St, Wall St, etc.). Obviously not working there but that type of finance.

When I read the course description it says this though,

@ wrote
"An introduction to the theory of interest. Mathematical models and their analysis for problems involving fixed interest rates. Simple and compound interest. Cash flows, annuities, amortization and sinking funds. (Zero-) coupon bonds.

That sounds pretty financy though :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

So I kinda like finance. As in like FINANCE (Bay St, Wall St, etc.). Obviously not working there but that type of finance.

@ wrote
"An introduction to the theory of interest. Mathematical models and their analysis for problems involving fixed interest rates. Simple and compound interest. Cash flows, annuities, amortization and sinking funds. (Zero-) coupon bonds.

Found another way - if you want to take MA270 you can take BU205 first.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@ wrote

Found another way - if you want to take MA270 you can take BU205 first.

Yeah I just saw that. I would still assume you'd be at a little bit of a disadvantage as you'd lack the calculus skills an MA103 or MA110 student would have though...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Guess I'm taking MA129 now since there is a way around it lol.

Thanks guys :)

Now I can work on a high GPA for co-op ***insert evil laugh here***
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0