yconic - Laurier over Queens, Schulich, and Ivey...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier over Queens, Schulich, and Ivey...

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Okay, I have a problem.

Until the high flyer event/laurier open house, laurier was the choice school if I did not get into queens, schulich, or ivey. After the event however, I seem to have 90% decided on laurier -shoot me :/

So now I need opinions -but here is my reasoning first (in no particular order).

1. Co-op -it's been mentioned a thousand times, but at the seminars I really got it driven into my head. It will help get jobs, and many ivey grads still dont have job offers coming out of 4th year. Co-op gives you a really big advantage, as ~75% of laurier grads finish with job offers from one of their co-op employers (the rest will get with people they haven't co-oped for).

2. I'm an incredibly indecisive person, and I often get bored/ find out I don't like doing what I thought I wanted to do - trying out these jobs before I get hired full time will give so many opportunities to try different stuff out.

3. You can network when you co-op. You also make $$

4. Highest employment rate of all business schools -96% within 3 months of graduation.

5.Loved the environment. The kids were really cool, and the whole program atmosphere was awesome and not egotistical. -> Quality without the arrogance.

6.^ employers often mention that teamwork and persona matter - no offense to any, but some programs do get some arrogance going on. employers dont like that either.

7.Lots of case competitions (and win them as well) (i know others have them- but it is still a pro)

8. Best UFE (CA exam) pass rate of all the business schools

9. The school is pretty cool/not that bad, and I fell in love with one of the residences- SO NICEEE (King's St.)

10. Party school :) And high school spirit

11. I get 20,000 scholarship to go there. Lots of money (but $$ is not a determining factor for me)

12. I love my home country. When i left the high flyer event, I walked outside, and this breeze came by, and it smelled like back home <3
----------------------------------

Cons :/

1. the rep/name :/ top 3 are normally regarded as being queens ivey and schulich (big deal)

2.basically- if i go to laurier, will the same amount of unusual/ un-ordinary/more rare opportunities be available (such as at ivey/queens/schulich) (big)

3. Barely any international exchange (sucksss - but i will do it by myself if I have to)

4. Thirst for knowledge at laurier might not be as high..? / many who go are those who don't get into the other three (this is not an insult please no one be offended :( ) (big)

5. I need competition to do well - other programs are more competitive. (big)

6. Will a laurier bba be just as competitive when applying to prestigious MBA programs (or ivy leagues) (big)

7. reputation of laurier itself (big)

8. not a big uni. (not a big deal)

9. queens and western are prettier. (not a big deal)

10. new business building being built after we leave :P (not a big deal)

Soo - what do I do???
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of AJP13 AJP13
Figure I may as well repost this here for those who come now. :)

I am in pretty much the same situation as you. Even though Laurier is classified as a lesser school I am almost certain that I want to go there. Here is how I see it.

1. Rep/name isn't everything. As you said in your pros with co-op there is a very good chance of being employed when you come out of the program. And if you are a top level student as in A average it doesn't really matter what school you come from you are gonna be looked at for the good jobs.

2. You will lose some of the networking chances because it is not in the Toronto, but the same can be said for Queens and Ivey. There are still a ton of chances to take part in competitions, get involved, and experience unique things. Every uni offers something different to a degree.

3. They do have international exchange, it is just not as popular at the school. I do know a couple people who gone on it though through Laurier and loved it. So if you are really interested in it their is that chance to do so.

4. Laurier will have some lower level students, but that isn't to say thirst for knowledge is lacking. It all depends on the people you get involved with. There will be those who want to know just as much as you do.

5. Compete with the DD's, they are gonna be killing themselves. :P

6. If your grades are top notch and you come off as well rounded I think you should be able to get into an MBA anywhere in Canada. Those who come from Ivey, Queens, Schulich with similar abilities might be given slight preference, but overall it will be possible.

7. Laurier has a good rep as an accounting school and decent for marketing. Business, more or less, is there trademark. If you change fields though the outlook isn't very good in terms of rep.

8. It not being big can be a pro as it is possible to get loss in the bigger universities. As a small uni you can get across campus easier and know more of the overall community.

9. We might get one year in it. :)

In the end, from what I can find, Laurier is not as bad as people looking to go into business make it out to be. Plus if you go there for two years and don't end up liking it there is always the option to head over to Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ajp -:) (y)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
It sounds like you've already told yourself you'll be going to Laurier. Good for you, it's easy to get caught up in the Ivey, QC, Schulich name.

Just a warning though. Generally I find that the aspiring business students who are eager to work RIGHT now are very unsatisfied with their university experience. There's a reason why Ivey/QC/Schulich (and Harvard/Yale/Wharton etc.) students don't get their first real internship until 3rd year but end up the most successful in the future. For the majority of the people in this world and business/finance/accounting is no exception, the hard skill differentiation in terms of careers are not high. Your first few years is a period for you to figure out how to become a great person, not to be thinking in terms of a career right away; it's a period for you to get you fraternize, get your yknow-what wet, and get piss-ass drunk.

With that being said, Laurier has a very good business co-op program and is a great path for pursuing your CA. You sound like your heart is set on it - that's a good thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Congratulations on growing up. Making these decisions is hard and you never know if you made the right choice. At the time, you can kind of tell if you are making the best decision from what you have available and that's really the best you can do. In the end, if that's how you feel, you should go for it. Women are supposed to be good with intuition. :)

P.S. Laurier would be lucky to have you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
I'm made the same decision too despite getting into most of my previously desired programs! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@immaculatedx: I like the way you think :P ;) thanks for the encouragement :P

@Dmitry: Thanks :) We shall see though! it's not 100% yet :P

@Rela: yay :) happy to have allies :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMA2014 wrote

1. Co-op... First of all, not everybody gets into the co-op program. Most of my very smart friends who decided to go to Laurier over Big 3 names didn't even get in to the co-op stream. You may think that you're "different, unique, smart enough to get into co-op", but that's what everybody thinks. Also, except for the students at the top of the program, the kind of jobs you'll get through co-op is very, very, sad. Having talked to many recruiters, they all mention that the only reason they hire co-op students is because their wages are subsidized, and the marginal cost of hiring them is very cheap.

2. Look at the curriculum for Queen's, and compare it to Laurier's. At Queen's, you will basically learn everything you need to know to be a scholar of commerce, where as at Laurier... Specifically, at Queen's, you'll take marketing I in first year, marketing II in second year, and HR Management in second year, where as at Laurier, you won't take these courses until 3rd year. For crying out loud, Laurier doesn't even teach intro to accounting and organizational behaviour until second year.

3. There will be more than enough opportunities to network at the big name schools. In fact, elite firms only hold information sessions at Queen's, Ivey, and Schulich. When was the last time that Goldman Sachs flew in a managing director along with an army of analysts/associates from New York to Laurier to hold info sessions? Never.

4. Highest employment rate? What's the reporting rate? At what firms? At what average first year comp? Their report just 3 years ago indicated less than 80% employment rate, with the first year total comp well below $50k.

5. Team work. At Queen's, almost all work is done in teams. Assignments? Teams. Presentations? Teams. In-class work? Teams. Same goes for Ivey. There is a reason why alumni from top schools are so successful.

6. ^

7. Case competition. At Ivey, every class is a case competition. At Queen's... we have the country's most largest, prestigious, and oldest case competitions. Our conferences and competitions also have the best sponsors. Investment banks, consultancies, accounting firms, so on, and so forth.

8. There is a very marginal difference between the schools and their pass rates. During my year of applying, Queen's and Schulich was tied for first place at mid-high 9X% pass rate. Queen's has 100% pass rate for graduates who go onto Big 4 after graduation.

9. Check out Watts and Leggett residences at Queen's.

10. Party school with high spirit. Uhh, have you been to UWO/Queen's? lol.

11. $$$$ lol. Queen's University is known to have the best financial aid in the country, but like you said, money aint a thang for you.

----

- In my year of applying (2010), Queen's and McGill had the most students enrolled at the Wharton School of Business (arguably the top MBA program in the world). No Laurier students whatsoever. I don't know the numbers for other schools.

- Exchange opportunities - exchange is so big at Queen's Commerce. In fact, as long as you're not in academic probation, you're guaranteed a spot in exchange. You won't get an opportunity to go to exchange to ESADE, HEC Paris, Bocconi, RSM, SSE from Laurier. I personally am going to Sweden (and my housemates are going to netherlands, italy, and spain) for winter exchange next year. Even if you don't go on exchange, there are lot of exchange students coming into Queen's, and your typical 3rd year course will be at least 1/4 exchange students.

Once again, I emphasize that there are reasons why Queen's/Ivey has no need for co-op or big scholarships to attract quality students to its program.. Don't get duped by the flashy presentations made by Laurier.

Thanks for your input- this is why I put this on SA -to get feedback, and it's why I havent chosen laurier for sure yet. You make good points.

1. I know it is selective (600 applicants for 295 spots). You were right in thinking I am/was confident of getting in. Your example is good to know.

2. This point I do not consider that big, as Laurier's program is designed to give a broad overview of business in years 1and 2 to learn how all the parts work cohesively, and then in years 3 and 4 you go into major detail and specialize.and compare it to ivey- laurier's not behind.

3. good point- this is what i mean by my second con point

4. I'll post my sources soon.

5. okay teamwork. laurier has less of that "win at all costs" mentality -i'm pretty sure that teamwork at ivey only goes so far. and queens- you know better than I.

-I guess another question that comes off of this is how much will you sacrifice for
success? From personal experience and the business field in general, to be at the top, a lot of people sacrifice who they are to get there. I know some people who went to ivey (not hating on ivey) and they changed after... I just don't want that to be me. But in business, most successful are also usually the most -ruthless I guess. So.

10. Yes I've visited both :P Queen's was beautiful- loved it and the lake beside it :)

7. I am aware of this- it is one of the reasons i was gunning for queens so hard.

------

Cons
-I was not aware of the warton fact- it's useful, thanks.

-exchange- i am aware. another reason i had queen's as first. (and sweden sounds awesome)

-the lack of co-op at those top schools because they are good and don't need it -strong argument. Again why i asked this question here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
hey Windsongs4!

I think you should really focus on the courses offered throughout the 4 years. See, if you like the courses, if you wish to study it and then nail it down to your number 1 choice.

This is what my perspective on the unis are:

Laurier: has co-op (+)
Need 80% in first year to get co-op (-) (80% isnt too bad, its attainable from what i've heard)

Shoelick: has no co-op(-), you can do internship(+), but there's no pay and you find the firms on your own (-) Great networking + prestige (+)

Ivey: so much $$$(-),Ivey starts 3nd year, which means you work your bums off for 2 years (-).

Queens: not a lot of asians (-)

Im personally debating over schulich and laurier. Ivey is too risky, and requires a lot of money. Money is an important factor for me; dont have money growing trees in my backyard. =p Didn't apply to queens, so thats eliminated.

Whatever, you chose... let us know and good luck :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@bcd92 wrote
hey Windsongs4!

I think you should really focus on the courses offered throughout the 4 years. See, if you like the courses, if you wish to study it and then nail it down to your number 1 choice.

This is what my perspective on the unis are:

Laurier: has co-op (+)
Need 80% in first year to get co-op (-) (80% isnt too bad, its attainable from what i've heard)

Shoelick: has no co-op(-), you can do internship(+), but there's no pay and you find the firms on your own (-) Great networking + prestige (+)

Ivey: so much $$$(-),Ivey starts 3nd year, which means you work your bums off for 2 years (-).

Queens: not a lot of asians (-)

Im personally debating over schulich and laurier. Ivey is too risky, and requires a lot of money. Money is an important factor for me; dont have money growing trees in my backyard. =p Didn't apply to queens, so thats eliminated.

Whatever, you chose... let us know and good luck :D

Just want to make a comment that internships at Schulich are paid and you're not really on your own when you look for them. Many companies (Big 4, banks, P&G, J&J, GM, etc) pay A LOT of money and spend a lot of time on our campus to make sure they get top talent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jason202 Jason202
i personally think its better to challenge yourself and be patient in studying.
also, theres nothing bad about having a good reputation by going to a school with big names and amazing programs. afterall, queens, schulich, ivey have their reputation for a reason.

but i respect you man xD i think your really determined to go laurier and really make the most out of it~ happiness is not proportional to academic achievement but success is~ also laurier is a good school~ just because its not as fancy as ivey doesnt mean its bad lol laurier has a good reputation in business programs i believe. The parties and the tight co-op program is what laurier is known for~ that is what you want? i think the answer is go to laurier!

cheers~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kulinkachhadia kulinkachhadia
I've talked to many MANY current students at Laurier who chose WLU over Schulich, Queens, and Ivey and are loving it, so you wouldn't be alone in this decision

It depends what exactly you want to specialize in but I've been told that for say accounting, ivey isn't the ideal choice. And it's really expensive :/ Ivey is fantastic for other areas of business though.

For schulich, A cousin of mine is in the BBA program and he says that although it is prestigious and regarded as one of the top business schools, the people there are very cuthroat. They will step all over you if that means they get better marks. Keep in mind that this is only one opinion though.

Overall just get a feel for what kind of campus/community/atmosphere you would like and move from there as schulich, WLU, QC and Ivey are all great programs.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kulinkachhadia kulinkachhadia
I've talked to many MANY current students at Laurier who chose WLU over Schulich, Queens, and Ivey and are loving it, so you wouldn't be alone in this decision

It depends what exactly you want to specialize in but I've been told that for say accounting, ivey isn't the ideal choice. And it's really expensive :/ Ivey is fantastic for other areas of business though.

For schulich, A cousin of mine is in the BBA program and he says that although it is prestigious and regarded as one of the top business schools, the people there are very cuthroat. They will step all over you if that means they get better marks. Keep in mind that this is only one opinion though.

Overall just get a feel for what kind of campus/community/atmosphere you would like and move from there as schulich, WLU, QC and Ivey are all great programs.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey
Lets get serious here, if the work is done you will get co-op. It is not as hard to get as some people think. Most at ivey/schulich/queens get good internships after they have completed second year (Ive seen the resumes from queens and yes that is the case). Yet, people from Laurier already have co-op placements at every big 4 ca firm, every bank, and parts of BB and MBB. Things are good here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jason202 wrote
i personally think its better to challenge yourself and be patient in studying.
also, theres nothing bad about having a good reputation by going to a school with big names and amazing programs. afterall, queens, schulich, ivey have their reputation for a reason.

but i respect you man xD i think your really determined to go laurier and really make the most out of it~ happiness is not proportional to academic achievement but success is~ also laurier is a good school~ just because its not as fancy as ivey doesnt mean its bad lol laurier has a good reputation in business programs i believe. The parties and the tight co-op program is what laurier is known for~ that is what you want? i think the answer is go to laurier!

cheers~

Lol - if I need to be determined, I will be :P thanks :) I haven't decided yet though.. :P:P:P we'll see.

@bcd- good luck with your decision as well! let me know :)

@kulinkachhadia - encouraging info :P :) I'm looking at consulting and/or CA.
as for the atmosphere, I agree it is important, I'm keeping it in mind :)

@Gymmonkey - awesomeeee :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0