yconic - Laurier Residence??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier Residence??

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Which ones are the best ones?
Which ones are the nicest?

Which ones are the most fun?

When I apply (since I have 90% average), I get whatever type of room I want, but which buildings should I put in the top?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
44 replies

A photo of Kalbii Kalbii
you can't choose what building you want. The only preferences you choose are single or double, apartment or dorm, and co-ed or same gender.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Kalbii wrote
you can't choose what building you want. The only preferences you choose are single or double, apartment or dorm, and co-ed or same gender.

This.

I'd pick an apartment style so you don't get stuck in Little house.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Kalbii wrote

This.

Yeah I've heard bad things about that lol. But I kind of want the whole residence experience. Doesn't that kind of take away from it? :/

ALSO, do I get to pick a single apartment style room too? Or is that too much? For example it says Regina Residence is double bedrooms :/
http://waterloo.mylaurier.ca/residence/info/resbldgs/wluresidences/reginares.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
Bro wait for QC or ivey... boggles my mind how you and some people with GOOD ECS and marks didnt get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@apark17 wrote
Bro wait for QC or ivey... boggles my mind how you and some people with GOOD ECS and marks didnt get in.

You have no idea how much it's boggled my mind man :(. There's like a day of acceptances remaining so I've accepted my offer :p

But seriously, worst case I can always accept another school's offer such as Queen's and Ivey, and that would overwrite Laurier's.

The only reason I accepted so fast was because you can already register for courses and I don't want them to fill up too fast :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Kalbii wrote

This.

Yeah I've heard bad things about that lol. But I kind of want the whole residence experience. Doesn't that kind of take away from it? :/

ALSO, do I get to pick a single apartment style room too? Or is that too much? For example it says Regina Residence is double bedrooms :/
http://waterloo.mylaurier.ca/residence/info/resbldgs/wluresidences/reginares.htm

You don't miss out on things not to worry. Plus, being able to whip up some food whenever you want to is a HUGE plus. I would go with single apartment personally. My sleep patterns were way different then my room mate. Thankfully I was in double apartment so it was kind of okay. But I hated turning on the light to the bedroom at 4am to grab clothes to sleep in. And if you ever bring a girl back, it makes things easier to have a single room too.

Id go for either King Street rez, or Bricker rez. Bricker had good parties.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote
You don't miss out on things not to worry. Plus, being able to whip up some food whenever you want to is a HUGE plus. I would go with single apartment personally. My sleep patterns were way different then my room mate. Thankfully I was in double apartment so it was kind of okay. But I hated turning on the light to the bedroom at 4am to grab clothes to sleep in. And if you ever bring a girl back, it makes things easier to have a single room too.

But I get to choose a single apartment style if I wish right? And that will be guaranteed since I have a 90% average right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

But I get to choose a single apartment style if I wish right? And that will be guaranteed since I have a 90% average right?

As far as I know thats right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

So you'd say that definitely beats dorm style?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Yes x a million. Laurier's cafeteria is kind of... lacking, both in times its open and options. Being able to cook is great, and impresses the ladies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Yes x a million. Laurier's cafeteria is kind of... lacking, both in times its open and options. Being able to cook is great, and impresses the ladies.

Ok thanks a million! :)

I hope the ladies like cereal! Haha ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ C'mon, you've got to know how to make KD as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Ok thanks a million! :)

I hope the ladies like cereal! Haha ;)

Learn to cook pasta. Cook it till it'll stick to the wall, should be tender, but not limp.
Get good tasting salad dressings OR steak/chicken sauce. Put chicken in a ziploc bag in the morning with the salad dressing. Let it sit for like 10-12 hours and absorb the flavour. Bake in the oven till cooked. Great tasting chicken!
Mix up some spring greens with a different salad dressing.
Serve with candles.
Remember to pick up condoms
Put sock on door
???
PROFIT!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@johnnycanuck wrote
^ C'mon, you've got to know how to make KD as well.

Speaking of KD... Use garlic butter instead of normal margarine. Add some chili flakes or pepper. Garnish with parsley. Awesome meal.
Although it sits in your stomach like a rock.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ You all forget about the ancient art of microwaving.

I wonder if I can have a Waterloo residence. They just might allow me it. I will be full-time at both Waterloo and Laurier. Hm. Probably not. But, maybe...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Despondent wrote

I wonder if I can have a Waterloo residence. They just might allow me it. I will be full-time at both Waterloo and Laurier. Hm. Probably not. But, maybe...

They wont.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

They wont.

Quite an abrupt comment. What if a person is considering splitting residence with a UW-based person? Bleh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

They wont.

Quite an abrupt comment. What if a person is considering splitting residence with a UW-based person? Bleh.

No idea. I doubt it though. what program are you taking
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

They wont.

Not taking any yet. Once I decide to reject the Schulich iBBA (inevitable - I hate it), I will accept the BBA/BMath.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

They wont.

Not taking any yet. Once I decide to reject the Schulich iBBA (inevitable - I hate it), I will accept the BBA/BMath.

In that case you will be in residence at the university you accept.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

They wont.

In that case you will be in residence at the university you accept.

I love Laurier already and tend to be painting now everything in a rosy glow. (A rosy glow which will probably be changed by the Math building at Waterloo. It looks like a jail.)

I still think, however, calls are worth it. Everything might play out very differently from what I expect. I do have a habit of putting the cart before the horse.

How do you find the experience of two universities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Laurier has such a great environment. I absolutely love the people there. Everyone is pretty, happy, and friendly. I just finished up a conference for HS students I'd been working on organizing for the past 8 months (Leadership in Business Conference by The Link), and I had the time of my life at it. Everyone at Laurier is great - even the profs!

Waterloo is a bit more academic. Sometimes I wish it was my home school since Im just a bit of a nerd. People there tend to be good though.

Traveling between the two unis is fine. I spent almost all my time at Laurier though. Closer to my rez, and i was just more familiar with the campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote
Laurier has such a great environment. I absolutely love the people there. Everyone is pretty, happy, and friendly. I just finished up a conference for HS students I'd been working on organizing for the past 8 months (Leadership in Business Conference by The Link), and I had the time of my life at it. Everyone at Laurier is great - even the profs!

Waterloo is a bit more academic. Sometimes I wish it was my home school since Im just a bit of a nerd. People there tend to be good though.

Traveling between the two unis is fine. I spent almost all my time at Laurier though. Closer to my rez, and i was just more familiar with the campus.

Why are you WLU-based? I am going to be because I heard from numerous sources that it is a great place. And I can believe it - starting with the over-the-phone service. Beautiful. (The President's Centennial Scholarship I also appreciate.)

I believe BBA/CS take many math courses that the BBA/BMath students take. Is that impression wrong? If not, how did you find Calculus 3 and other mathematics courses in first year. I am almost visualising the Faculty of Mathematics as an entity ready to eat me. It is not that I am bad at bath (if I were, I likely would not apply to the program), it is just that the words "university" and "math" together sound menacing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Why are you WLU-based? I am going to be because I heard from numerous sources that it is a great place. And I can believe it - starting with the over-the-phone service. Beautiful.

I believe BBA/CS take many math courses that the BBA/BMath students take. Is that impression wrong? If not, how did you find Calculus 3 and other mathematics courses in first year. I am almost visualising the Faculty of Math as an entity ready to eat me. It is not that I am bad at bath (if I were, I likely would not apply to the program), it is just that the words "university" and "math" together sound menacing.

Because UW rejected me.

In first year you take Math 135-138. In 2nd year you take Stats 230/1, Math 239, and CO 250. After that you are math free.

CS kids only take Calc 1/2. Calc 1 was fine, calc 2 was a bitch and a half. Classical algebra was also a bitch. Linear algebra was fun. Math is tough, but the math kids have the advantage of the easier CS class. CS assignments would usually require me pulling an all nighter, where as the mathies had much easier CS assignments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@Despondent wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Why are you WLU-based? I am going to be because I heard from numerous sources that it is a great place. And I can believe it - starting with the over-the-phone service. Beautiful.

I believe BBA/CS take many math courses that the BBA/BMath students take. Is that impression wrong? If not, how did you find Calculus 3 and other mathematics courses in first year. I am almost visualising the Faculty of Math as an entity ready to eat me. It is not that I am bad at bath (if I were, I likely would not apply to the program), it is just that the words "university" and "math" together sound menacing.

Because UW rejected me.

In first year you take Math 135-138. In 2nd year you take Stats 230/1, Math 239, and CO 250. After that you are math free.

CS kids only take Calc 1/2. Calc 1 was fine, calc 2 was a bitch and a half. Classical algebra was also a bitch. Linear algebra was fun. Math is tough, but the math kids have the advantage of the easier CS class. CS assignments would usually require me pulling an all nighter, where as the mathies had much easier CS assignments.

*Sigh* If you found Calculus 2 a "bitch and a half", why do I not like the idea of doing Calculus 3?

I found a year-by-year calendar some time ago. Might have it bookmarked on a different computer. Different universities. Different websites, most of them dreadful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0