yconic - Laurier SL100?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier SL100?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey so I know this has been discussed and how it's a major bird course and stuff, but does anyone have any links about the curriculum?

I know I did have something about what the three essays were last year but I lost the link somehow lol.

I kind of want to take it if it's easy but I'm scared because I don't know how long the essays have to be and what they're on....Like I don't know how good I can write an essay if I don't like/understand the topic...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of iDream iDream
[color=red]#1 - Minor Assignment
Select two or three articles from newspapers or popular magazines/journals, (in either paper or electronic version) about current social welfare issues, debates, proposals etc. Discuss how these current issues, debates, proposals etc are similar to issues in the past and how they are different. Use notes from the Lessons and reading assignments - primarily from lessons #1-#4, but you can draw from other lessons as well.

Write your paper as if you were writing a commentary on social welfare for the newspaper. Remember to list the newspaper (or electronic) sources you are referring to and the sources from the course that you are using to back up the points you are making.

LENGTH: approximately 1500 words in length (6 pages).

GRADE: 10%

#2 - Intermediate Assignment
The provision of social services is an important aspect of the social welfare continuum. These services are provided privately and publicly from agencies and organizations based locally, regionally, provincially, nationally and internationally.
Your assignment requires you to arrange a visit to a social welfare agency/organization and interview one of its representatives. By now, you should be able to determine what a social service agency is. If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask me.

The purpose of the agency visit is to gather information from the interview, and any written material such as annual reports, organizational charts, program descriptions, funding sources, promotional brochures, etc.

From the material collected, you are required to prepare an assessment brief on that organization. The brief should address the following themes:

agency origin and brief history,
purpose and function,
organizational framework and funding,
method of service delivery,
pertinent legislation that affects the agency,
effectiveness and efficiency review,
your thinking about the future needs and direction of the agency.
Remember to include footnotes and bibliography. Agencies are extremely busy. It is recommended that you have made contact with the agency by week 3 of the course to ensure enough lead time for the agency representative to have time to meet with you.
The internet can be a useful source for information about most agencies.

As well, reviewing the Text, Chapter 14, "Agencies in General" and Chapter 15 "Industries and the Provision of Social Services", can give you additional overview information and help you prepare your questions.
Some agencies work with very troubled individuals. If you have selected such an agency for your visit, remember that the agency will do its best to protect you, but you are taking a risk. If you encounter inappropriate behaviour, let the agency representative know, and you can certainly leave. I would ask that you let me know as well. Students have found this assignment to be extremely rewarding.

LENGTH: Maximum of 2000 to 2500 words
( eight to ten typed pages, double spaced)

GRADE: 15%

N.B. : Please keep in mind that in approaching the agency/organization it must be recognized that heavy work pressures may not make it possible to have an interview arranged quickly or conveniently. It is, therefore, advisable to make an appointment at the beginning of the term. See your course schedule for a recommended start time. This will give you time to make an appointment with another agency should your first choice not be able to accommodate you.

#3 - Major Assignment
Select a recent social welfare issue of personal interest or that you would like to learn more about. If you are not sure if your topic fits within social welfare, do not hesitate to ask.
In writing your paper, state how it pertains to social welfare, identify the main issues and link them to the material in the lessons, the CD portion, and the assigned readings. You should have a minimum of 8 different sources, (excluding the course notes & text) the majority from academic journals and texts or from policy planning bodies & social research organizations. As well, you may use material to support your library research from newspapers, journals, news magazines, books, and television programs. The References in the Course Notes are examples of appropriate sources. Newspapers and magazines and television programs are appropriate back-up sources, but should not be your major resource. Clarity and style will constitute 20% of the paper's mark. (See "Common Errors In Style" above).

Remember to include footnotes, endnotes or APA style citing and bibliography. This is a requirement for your paper to be read.

LENGTH: 2500 to 3500 words
(ten to 14 typed pages, double spaced)

GRADE: 25%

Marking Breakdown

Minor Assignment 10%
Intermediate Assignment 15%
Major Assignment 25%
Final Exam 50%

100%[/color]

The FINAL EXAM. It has 3 parts - a multiple choice part (22 questions, one correct answer for each, 1 mark for each), a short answer/definitions section (pick 6 concepts from a list of 16 and give a definition and an example of each - 3 marks for each) and an essay section (pick 3 topics from a list of 6 & write a 2 to 3 page, or 300-350 word essay for each topic - 20 marks each essay).

The exam is 2 ½ hours.

Below are the essay questions that will be on the final exam. You have these quesitons in advance so you can decide which 3 you wish to answer. You cannot bring any notes to the exam, but you have time to think out what you want to say. You don't have to write in formal essay format, but be clear so that I can follow your thinking. The essay questions count for 60% of the final exam mark. The exam is 2 1//2 hours, so pace yourself accordingly. Trust what you know.

Section III Essay Questions

Select three (3) topics from the following list. Draw upon appropriate concepts from the course in responding to the question. There are twenty (20) marks for each essay. Please use the answer booklet provided.

1. As Turners say on page 1 of the text, each of us “... is a social welfare recipient.” In addition, we all (yes, including the street person) “... contribute to the financing of the social welfare network.” Using concepts from this course, describe how you benefit from the "Social Welfare Net". Be concise, thorough and give examples. What would it be like for you without this support?

2. Assignment #2 asked you became familiar with a social agency. Imagine you are the Manager or Executive Director of that agency. Assuming you had a 10% increase in funding, what is the one major change you would make in the agency to help it become more effective? State why you would make this change, and how it would help the agency and the clients the agency serves. Given the mandate and organizational structure of the agency, who would have to agree with these changes? Would the legislation that affects your agency place any constraints on how you would use a funding increase?

3. Social work uses different skills in different settings. Drawing upon concepts in Section 2 of the course (see “About the Course - Fields of Service”), discuss how a social worker might conduct an interview differently in 2 of the service fields (Income Security, Child Welfare, Senior Citizens, Multiculturalism, Native People, Rural Communities & International Social Welfare, or with Disabled Persons). How does the field of service shape the interview? How does the interview setting determine the type of interview the social worker uses? What are the similarities? What are the differences? Use concepts from lesson 5 - the interview clips in lessons 6-9 and 11-12 will also be useful references.

4. The Federal Government and the provinces are revising Canada's Social Welfare Safety Net, as Canada moves through global economic, social and environmental crises. Using concepts from the course, describe, in general terms, what components of the "Social Welfare Net" you want to see preserved and why. What changes and modifications would are needed? Why? What ideology(ies) does your perspective exemplify?

5. Discuss why the Board of Directors is so important in a non-profit agency. What role does the Board play? What benefits are there for an agency to have a Board? Can an agency function without a Board?

6. How do we, individually and as a wealthy society, strike a balance between responding to individual & local need (e.g. the homeless, tainted water for many First Nations people, the need of a friend or relative) with responding to need at a distance, that we are not connected to, or that touches us only indirectly (hurricane or earthquake victims, AIDS victims or famine victims in Africa, etc.)? Whatever the beliefs & ideology are that guide each person, these issues (local and distant) affect us all. Draw upon your beliefs & experiences, concepts from course notes, the text, and web links to discuss what is involved in balancing response to human need.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

LOL after reading bits and pieces of that, it doesn't seem as much of a bird course anymore. or maybe i'm just not used to university curriculum
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@echan319 wrote
LOL after reading bits and pieces of that, it doesn't seem as much of a bird course anymore. or maybe i'm just not used to university curriculum

Welcome to University lol haha just kidding
all my essays were pure b.s and still got A+ in all three lmao
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@echan319 wrote

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That doesn't seem THAT easy. It actually seems kind of difficult :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@echan319 wrote

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That doesn't seem THAT easy. It actually seems kind of difficult :/

Really?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@echan319 wrote

Really?

Yea :/. Idk maybe it's because I haven't learned anything yet about it. I'm not even completely sure what social welfare is haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@echan319 wrote

Really?

Yea :/. Idk maybe it's because I haven't learned anything yet about it. I'm not even completely sure what social welfare is haha

Lol you wont learn anything in the course either (i didn't learn sh!t)...No ones there to teach you and the course notes are just useless!I know what you mean...i thought the second essay was brutal at first :S but once u start doing them they are pretty soft! Dw you'll do good like everyone else :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The workload doesn't seem bad considering it is 1.0 credit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@iDream wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@echan319 wrote

Really?

Lol you wont learn anything in the course either (i didn't learn sh!t)...No ones there to teach you and the course notes are just useless!I know what you mean...i thought the second essay was brutal at first :S but once u start doing them they are pretty soft! Dw you'll do good like everyone else :P

Yeah I can understand that. It kind of seems like a Shakespeare essay where you're like, "wtf does this even mean?" But then when you start it, it's not too difficult. I think I'll avoid this class though as it seems like a bit of a risk (with the whole online thing)
Was this helpful? Yes 0