yconic - Laurier: Switching from BA to BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier: Switching from BA to BBA

A photo of MrExtraLarge MrExtraLarge
I was just curious on what the procedure is from switching into the BBA from the BA. I received my offer for the BA program at Laurier and was wondering if someone could shed some light on this. Thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of g93 g93
You can apply to transfer after first year. It is set up to be a seamless transition, but it is hard to actually get in as it is fairly competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thelakeshow thelakeshow

@g93 wrote
You can apply to transfer after first year. It is set up to be a seamless transition, but it is hard to actually get in as it is fairly competitive.

whats the process like and the requirements? when i checked lauriers website, it said you have to have an 8.0 gpa, take the required bba courses plus your ba courses, and this was the part i was confused about: have the same averages and courses as the high school students applying. does that mean i have to have an 86 average based on my top 6 grade 12 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thelakeshow wrote

@g93 wrote

whats the process like and the requirements? when i checked lauriers website, it said you have to have an 8.0 gpa, take the required bba courses plus your ba courses, and this was the part i was confused about: have the same averages and courses as the high school students applying. does that mean i have to have an 86 average based on my top 6 grade 12 marks?

You will need at least an 83.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thelakeshow thelakeshow

@g93 wrote

@thelakeshow wrote

@g93 wrote

for my grade 12 average? cause there is no way in hell id have n 83, maaaaaybe an 82
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thelakeshow wrote

@g93 wrote

@thelakeshow wrote

@g93 wrote

for my grade 12 average? cause there is no way in hell id have n 83, maaaaaybe an 82

That's what I have read.

You could always call and get this confirmed, see if there are any loopholes. Honestly if you have a GPA of 11+ in first year I have no clue why they wouldn't accept you (although that is highly unlikely, no offence)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hammyter Hammyter
if some1 calls please tell us here =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster

@g93 wrote

@thelakeshow wrote

@g93 wrote

No way, there is NO WAY that Laurier would look at your high school marks for transfer. It just is not possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@g93 wrote

@thelakeshow wrote

@g93 wrote

No way, there is NO WAY that Laurier would look at your high school marks for transfer. It just is not possible.

That's what I thought to, until I saw this: http://www.wlu.ca/documents/33276/Transfer_into_BBA.students_at_Laurier.pdf

Or this: http://www.wlu.ca/documents/33277/Transfer_into_BBA._students_at_another_university.pdf

It makes no sense. I could see looking at high school marks if two people were very even, but why would being 3% higher than someone else in high school but having a GPA 3.0 lower mean that you should have a shot and the other person not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Is MA129 good to take? Or does that basically "limit" my options further on???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@Username81 wrote

Taking MA129 will definitely limit your options if you are going to take other math courses in senior years
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iDream wrote

@Username81 wrote

Taking MA120 will definitely limit your options if you are going to take other math courses in senior years

What about 129? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@iDream wrote

@Username81 wrote

Taking MA120 will definitely limit your options if you are going to take other math courses in senior years

iDream edited to 129 :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@iDream wrote

@Username81 wrote

Lol not when I did it. What a weasel. lol jk :)

But seriously, is it going to be bad for me??? I don't want to minor in math or anything but if I'm thinking of going into accounting or finance should I take the more difficult one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey
There is no set high school grade at which you need to transfer, they just take everything into consideration for everyone. University marks play the greatest roll (where a 9.0 and higher will probably be needed), but it is essential to do well in BU111 and BU121.
Take a look at this if you're interested: http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst30929_Transferring-into-Laurier-BBA-program.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump because I still want my question answered :albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

If you want to end up doing financial math, you will need to take MA103 or MA110. Check the prerequisites for the 4th-year courses and work your way backwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

If you want to end up doing financial math, you will need to take MA103 or MA110. Check the prerequisites for the 4th-year courses and work your way backwards.

How?! Friggg I effed up
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

How?! Friggg I effed up

What do you mean how? And what did you eff up?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

How?! Friggg I effed up

I want to take Finance maybe (am taking MA170). If I need MA103 as a pre-req for MA270 (Financial Math)....that sucks because it screws up my timetable!

Plus it's A LOT harder than MA129. And MA129 genuinely interests me as it's business-orientated as opposed to MA103 which is pure math and is quite boring.

EDIT: and is there a chart that shows all pre-requisites? or is it just this Math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

How?! Friggg I effed up

I want to take Finance maybe (am taking MA170). If I need MA103 as a pre-req for MA270 (Financial Math)....that sucks because it screws up my timetable!

Plus it's A LOT harder than MA129. And MA129 genuinely interests me as it's business-orientated as opposed to MA103 which is pure math and is quite boring.

EDIT: and is there a chart that shows all pre-requisites? or is it just this Math?

That's all it is for searching prerequisites.

MA103/MA110 will be necessary if you wish to pursue the higher level financial math. The concepts in MA103/MA110 are more advanced than MA129, which is basically AF and Grade 12 calc re-taught.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

MA103/MA110 will be necessary if you wish to pursue the higher level financial math. The concepts in MA103/MA110 are more advanced than MA129, which is basically AF and Grade 12 calc re-taught.

Dang that sucks...I didn't score on the CPE 70% though lol because I didn't think I had to do that well :o

Can I re-take it?? And is MA103 pretty difficult?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

Dang that sucks...I didn't score on the CPE 70% though lol because I didn't think I had to do that well :o

I think you can take MA110 still can't you?

Maybe you can call Laurier and see what they can do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

I think you can take MA110 still can't you?

Maybe you can call Laurier and see what they can do.

I could but that's all year :(
Plus then I don't get Friday's off lol

I think I will tomorrow. I'll post it on here so everyone else who's wondering will know
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hammyter Hammyter
im in the same situation. but my choices are only limited to ryerson bcomm and honours econ at laurier. Im interested in going into finance and maybe getting my CFA. which should i choose ryerson or laurier? i like economics. need some suggestions please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@iDream wrote

@Username81 wrote

Lol not when I did it. What a weasel. lol jk :)

But seriously, is it going to be bad for me??? I don't want to minor in math or anything but if I'm thinking of going into accounting or finance should I take the more difficult one?

lol why ? you dont have to! just try your best to boost your GPA by taking easy courses! Once you get into co-op, do whatever ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0