yconic - Laurier WLU and BCS (Waterloo) Double Degree?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier WLU and BCS (Waterloo) Double Degree?

A photo of roadno13 roadno13
Does anyone have any info about Laurier's double degree program, "BBA Business Administration (WLU)" and "BCS Computer Science (Waterloo)."

Whats the difference between taking this program from Laurier VS taking it from Waterloo? Is it that if you are in the program from Waterloo, it's more "computer science" oriented VS when you are in the program from Laurier, its "business" oriented?

Also, do you have to have taken Computer Science in highschool for this program? I know in the prerequisite, it doesn't list Computer Science, so will the double degree's computer science teach you from the basics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of spock100 spock100
Program is academically the same, regardless of your home school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@spock100 wrote
Program is academically the same, regardless of your home school

+1

It's mostly just which one you want as your home school. I think I heard something about scholarships only available to you from your home school, but I'll let someone else clarify that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Academically the program is exactly the same. You take the same courses no matter what your home school is, and you can take electives at either university.

The primary differences are: Co-op, residence, scholarships, environment, sports teams.

At UW you take one extra co-op term, and the jobs are different. WLU's co-op jobs will generally be more business oriented, whereas UW will have more "techy" jobs available. However, you're still free to get a co-op job outside of the system, so theres really no limits to where you can be hired. UW co-op students will also have to write something after their co-op term. Shouldn't be a huge deterant. I think its like one page or something (so I've been told).

You are only able to get scholarships from your home university. So you may wish to take the one that offers you the most. Also - check out WLU's full first year scholarships. For their 100th anniversary they're giving out 100 full first year tuitions.

The two schools do have different student environments. This will mainly only affect you first year, due to residence. You can also join clubs at either school.

You can only join a sports team (non-intramurals) at your home school. This really only plays a part with a few people, but if you're big into a certain sport and plan to play for the team - look into this.

You are taught CS from scratch. The requirements on the websites for the DD program is the official requirements - ignore the CS requirements.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
The scholarships do vary based on your home school. Waterloo scholarships are pretty bad, but Laurier's is probably just as bad :\.

Academically, as the dude mentioned is the same.

Computer Science is not a prereq because some schools dont have the resources to teach computer science everywhere and thus it wouldnt be fair to make it a prereq. In Waterloo, you learn a totally new programming language anyways - scheme, not java so in terms of syntax and whatnot, taking 12 CS wouldn't have mattered. The algorithms aren't hard to pickup as long as you're good at math : ).

Any other questions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much guys for the infos. It's relieving to hear that CS is taught from scratch.
I've got some more questions:

1. How's the first year at the program like? What do you learn? I'm looking towards going into marketing/management, not really accounting/finance. Does the BBA program branch into those programs (marketing/management)?

2. What do you learn in Computer Science? I've only taken the course in gr 10, and I remember doing CSS and a bunch of things with Turing program. By doing the DD CS program, what programs can it lead me into (CS-related)?

3. Also, for the "Additional Admission Criteria," it says that "Students must meet admission requirements for both WLU and UW."
What exactly are the requirements?

4. Compared to other single degree programs, are double degree programs harder? More workload? Slower pace in progressing (what you learn) because you study two programs compared to just learning one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
1. Business wise, its a very general program in first year. You get a touch in everything. In comparison to say Ryerson which is very accounting based first year. During 4th/5th year you take your business electives so that you can specialize in your business stream. At that point you can stream in marketing. Take high tech marketing. It's one of the easiest + interesting classes you'll take (so I've been told).

2. CS really teaches you the fundamentals. You don't get caught up in variable types, or other useless things that you may get taught in other programs. Scheme is a simple language and you learn the fundamentals. You'll never use Scheme in the real world, but you learn the fundamentals. You can go anywhere with DD CS. UW CS doesn't force specializations on you like other schools will. You dont have to specialize in video games or designing little robots. You can go anywhere with DD CS that you can with normal CS.

3. Don't worry about that. You'll find out what average you need to keep if/once your accepted.

4. Yes it's harder. You're taking a CS degree with all business electives. You don't really progress slower by any means, although you do have to understand that you have to take an extra 12 courses compared to a normal student. Don't worry about how you progress. What you get in comparison to the normal student is excellent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for the reply and info! I'm planning on sending in an app for Laurier WLU and BCS (Waterloo) Double Degree, and if more questions come to mind, I'll post/pm you if you don't mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@roadno13 wrote
Thank you so much guys for the infos. It's relieving to hear that CS is taught from scratch.
I've got some more questions:

1. How's the first year at the program like? What do you learn? I'm looking towards going into marketing/management, not really accounting/finance. Does the BBA program branch into those programs (marketing/management)?

2. What do you learn in Computer Science? I've only taken the course in gr 10, and I remember doing CSS and a bunch of things with Turing program. By doing the DD CS program, what programs can it lead me into (CS-related)?

3. Also, for the "Additional Admission Criteria," it says that "Students must meet admission requirements for both WLU and UW."
What exactly are the requirements?

4. Compared to other single degree programs, are double degree programs harder? More workload? Slower pace in progressing (what you learn) because you study two programs compared to just learning one?

1. You can get your course calender info on the Double Degree site - All the courses you have to take including first year are here - http://www.ddclub.ca/prog_req.php
Regarding BBA specializations you can specialize from the following:
Accounting
Brand Communication and Management
Entrepreneurship
Finance
Human Resource Management
Insurance and Risk Management
International Business
Marketing
Supply Chain Management

2. First year courses in CS involve a new programming language as I mentioned in the above post called Scheme.

3. Marks, AIF, etc.

4. Ofc, you have to fulfill requirements for 2 degrees.

Any other questions regarding DD could probably be found on the DD website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0