yconic - Laurier/Mac/Ottawa
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier/Mac/Ottawa

A photo of thelakeshow thelakeshow
okay so after getting screwed over by a couple of teachers, i have an 80 average on the dot. i already got accepted to laurier bba based on grade 11 and 12 marks. but the condition is to maintain an 82.0% average by june 30, 2011. it says on my top 6 best grade 12 marks. but the most i can achieve by june 30 assuming i get 100 on everything from here on out is an 81.8% average. should i call laurier and ask if they can switch it up for me? or do they round up averages? also, what are my chances of getting accepted to: ottawa and mcmaster for business?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
Wow you dropped way too hard my friend. Anyways, if you cannot make up for the conditional offer of 82% in your top 6 grade 12s, you should call them and ask what you can do about it. They might let you take summer school. BUT, maintaining a 82% is SUPER easy in high school. Ask your teachers to bump you up to get the mark. They may show sympathy depending on your work ethic in the second half of the semester.

As for Mac, I don't think you'll get in. They only look at marks and 80% isn't enough. IDK about Ottawa though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
1. As stated from above, call laurier and ask if you acceptance would be revoked if u dun maintain 82%. I'm also pretty sure teachers will give u a bump if you talk to them about your situation
2. Take a private school course where they will give u a high mark (only if you can afford to pay and i would only do this as your last resort.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckylion luckylion

@Slowwy wrote
1. As stated from above, call laurier and ask if you acceptance would be revoked if u dun maintain 82%. I'm also pretty sure teachers will give u a bump if you talk to them about your situation
2. Take a private school course where they will give u a high mark (only if you can afford to pay and i would only do this as your last resort.)

Personally, I do NOT think that is going to work...

1. Teachers will not and should not bump your marks in order to accommodate your needs. I want to know if there are indeed such sneaky teachers existing in Ontario. If so, they should be immediately fired. A lot of people are waiting for jobs in teaching in Canada...

2. There is a huge misconception here. Private schools do NOT give out marks for free as you might think. Kids work hard there and earn the marks that they deserve.

3. Yes, I would definitely contact the University and discuss the matter though...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses

@luckylion wrote

@Slowwy wrote

1. Teachers will not and should not bump your marks in order to accommodate your needs. I want to know if there are indeed such sneaky teachers existing in Ontario. If so, they should be immediately fired. A lot of people are waiting for jobs in teaching in Canada...

2. There is a huge misconception here. Private schools do NOT give out marks for free as you might think. Kids work hard there and earn the marks that they deserve.

3. Yes, I would definitely contact the University and discuss the matter though...

I completely understand your perspective of the issue. However, the marking system in high school is BS. There's no fairness in marking because of the subjective nature of the system. In some schools, courses are MUCH easier than others (I've been to 3 high schools across Ontario.
" Kids work hard there and earn the marks that they deserve." The teacher plays a prominent role in that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jane239 Jane239
You should be fine for Ottawa, they might take a little while but I definitely think you have a chance. I believe the minimum is a 75, but I am sure that there is some competition which is why you haven't heard back yet. Just wait it out a bit, spots will be freed up as we come closer to the deadline to accept University offers. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@luckylion wrote

@Slowwy wrote

1. I agree, but the marking system is not even close to being fair, and althoughit doesn't happen at my school it does seem to happen enough.

2. Some private schools. There are good private schools where the kids work hard and it is very difficult and they have high standards. BUT, there are sketchy pay for marks private schools. You can see it on this forum, people with 80s averages and then they have a 62 in AF, but they are upgrading at private school and have a 96. Enough said.

3. Personally I don't see how this is any different than #1

EDIT: And how can you only pull of an 81.8 average if you're currently at 80?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazarus nazarus

@thelakeshow wrote
okay so after getting screwed over by a couple of teachers, i have an 80 average on the dot. i already got accepted to laurier bba based on grade 11 and 12 marks. but the condition is to maintain an 82.0% average by june 30, 2011. it says on my top 6 best grade 12 marks. but the most i can achieve by june 30 assuming i get 100 on everything from here on out is an 81.8% average. should i call laurier and ask if they can switch it up for me? or do they round up averages? also, what are my chances of getting accepted to: ottawa and mcmaster for business?

Dear thelakeshow,

You're screwed.

Sincerely,

Dr. B. Nazarus
Was this helpful? Yes 0