yconic - Laurier/Waterloo BBA/BMath Double Degree
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Laurier/Waterloo BBA/BMath Double Degree

A photo of kb24gunner101 kb24gunner101
I am planning on applying to the Laurier/Waterloo BBA/BMath double degree. Is the co-op guaranteed in this program? My question is what is the difference between applying from the Laurier vs Waterloo side. Will it affect which residence I live on and will it affect tuition costs, will it affect co-op?

Also, I've read here on this forum this double degree is really good for finance jobs. Is this true? Can I also get good accounting jobs with these degrees?

I've also read its very hard to pull good marks in waterloo's math, so won't this affect my abilities to get a good co-op job as the good job's will go to the BBA's students with good marks?

I did English in summer school and got a 77%(I know thats bad). Will this affect my chance of acceptance since Waterloo cares about summer school but Laurier doesn't?

First semester midterm I had a 98% average(99 physics, 98 accounting, 97 advanced functions). Next semester I most likely will get similar marks. I work a job 25 hours a week, but I don't have too many extracurriculars. I have a physics club and I tutor which takes about 8 hours a week. Am I likely to get into this program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
You should apply to both sides to maximize your chances, that way you can decide later. It's what I did. And, it IS the residence in which you will live in - laurier vs waterloo. it will also affect co-op. But that is it. Yes, they are good for finance jobs - better than the rest of Waterloo/laurier definitely since DD's are looked up to favourably over others. Accounting jobs for sure, that's a given - finance will be harder.

Don't know about the math marks thing. I think I'll be in the same situation.

Your marks look real good (except english, but i think it will most likely pass), and I don't think the program requires a lot of EC's tbh.

GL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kb24gunner101 wrote
I am planning on applying to the Laurier/Waterloo BBA/BMath double degree. Is the co-op guaranteed in this program? My question is what is the difference between applying from the Laurier vs Waterloo side. Will it affect which residence I live on and will it affect tuition costs, will it affect co-op?

Also, I've read here on this forum this double degree is really good for finance jobs. Is this true? Can I also get good accounting jobs with these degrees?

I've also read its very hard to pull good marks in waterloo's math, so won't this affect my abilities to get a good co-op job as the good job's will go to the BBA's students with good marks?

I did English in summer school and got a 77%(I know thats bad). Will this affect my chance of acceptance since Waterloo cares about summer school but Laurier doesn't?

First semester midterm I had a 98% average(99 physics, 98 accounting, 97 advanced functions). Next semester I most likely will get similar marks. I work a job 25 hours a week, but I don't have too many extracurriculars. I have a physics club and I tutor which takes about 8 hours a week. Am I likely to get into this program?

You are guaranteed to be in the co-op program, however you are not guaranteed a co-op placement, if that's what you're asking. Getting a placement shouldn't be too hard.

If you are on the Laurier side, you live in their residences and you apply through their co-op system, and vice versa. Tuition is almost identical, the two schools have a revenue sharing agreement.

The programs are good for finance jobs, and for accounting as well. You just have to take accounting courses, which might be a little hard to fit into your schedule.

The average for DD students is somewhere around 80%. Employers should also recognize that your program is more challenging.

I'm not sure if it applies to this program, I would suggest contacting Waterloo admissions. If you're applying to Laurier, then it won't matter.

If you keep those marks up, you have a good chance even with the 77 in English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the quick reply. Do the big 4 recruit from this program? What are some good finance jobs other than investment banking, money is a factor, just I don't think I can work 100 hour weeks. What do you mean it will be hard for me to squeeze in accounting courses in this program? I won't get the 51 credit hours needed to become a CA from this program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you know how much tuition is exactly, because I've read Waterloo's accounting program tuition is insane.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kb24gunner101 wrote
Thanks for the quick reply. Do the big 4 recruit from this program? What are some good finance jobs other than investment banking, money is a factor, just I don't think I can work 100 hour weeks. What do you mean it will be hard for me to squeeze in accounting courses in this program? I won't get the 51 credit hours needed to become a CA from this program?

The Big 4 recruit at Laurier for sure, I'm not sure if they recruit through this program at Waterloo. You can always network/apply on your own.

Finance is very broad. I'd suggest doing some research. For accounting co-ops (legitimate ones), you're pretty much doing either audit or tax. For finance, there is tons of options. You could be a financial advisor or work in wealth management at a bank, you could be an analyst on the buy/sell side, a portfolio manager at a pension fund, you could work in investor relations or risk management at a company, or you could do research/analysis or macro policy work at an institution. There's so many different options. Do some research on finance, and try to get an idea for what you might be interested in. If you want to pursue finance at university, you will learn more there and be able to talk to professors/students/professionals/advisors about possible career paths in finance.

I'm not 100% sure. You will be able to complete your CA credits, you just might have to overload and/or come back for an additional semester. I've heard that it's a little bit difficult to do, but nothing impossible. I would suggest PMing either Nick0rz or immaculatedx if they don't reply here. They are both in the program/going to be in the program and will be able to answer your questions better. You could also contact Laurier/Waterloo for more info.

Edit: tuition for Waterloo (all programs I think are listed): http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infofin/students/UG%20Schedule%20of%20Fees%20Current.pdf

That's for Winter 2012, so it's up-to-date. It's broken down into terms (1A, 1B, 2A, etc.) so remember to get both term amounts to get one year's worth. ~9500 is the least you will pay in DD (with all fees included) and ~12000 is the most you will pay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
To answer the questions:

This is a co-op ONLY program but as mentioned, getting placed is of course not guaranteed.

DD is a great program in terms of employability across the boards; as mentioned again, do some more research on what exactly it is you're referring to.

Waterloo Math is definitely challenging for a lot of people. Don't choose this program because you think it'll make you boss or anything - do it because you like Math and Business.

The Big 4 obviously recruit at Laurier for accounting, it's a lot harder at UW since big 4 jobs are reserved for accounting&finance students.

I'm not too sure about the marks but if you have a 90+ average overall, you should be fine as long as you pass the English prerequisites (Generally it's like 75 or 70 minimum).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Correct me if I'm mistaken, this program is better for those seeking finance, rather than accounting, but accounting is not impossible to do with this program. I want to keep my doors open to either finance or accounting, but I like the math part of it, especially because it allows us to omit the social science type courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kb24gunner101 wrote
Correct me if I'm mistaken, this program is better for those seeking finance, rather than accounting, but accounting is not impossible to do with this program. I want to keep my doors open to either finance or accounting, but I like the math part of it, especially because it allows us to omit the social science type courses.

What?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Some programs such as Brock's BAcc requires you to take a humanities credit and a science credit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I want something which will expose me to many aspects of business, but give me the chance to specialize, since I am most likely going to do accounting.

Right now I am planning to apply to Schulich BBA and Laurier BBA and Brock BAcc(backup). I don't know if I should apply to this program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kb24gunner101 wrote
I want something which will expose me to many aspects of business, but give me the chance to specialize, since I am most likely going to do accounting.

Right now I am planning to apply to Schulich BBA and Laurier BBA and Brock BAcc(backup). I don't know if I should apply to this program.

Why don't you apply to Waterloo AFM? You can do a joint Accounting and Finance specialization, and by the time you get your CA you could have 3 of your CFA exams completed. At that time you can choose to pursue one or the other. Or you can opt out of one or the other at any time before that.

There's also no useless social sciences courses. If you didn't want to do finance, you could take math electives or do an economics minor or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@immaculatedx wrote

The Big 4 obviously recruit at Laurier for accounting, it's a lot harder at UW since big 4 jobs are reserved for accounting&finance students.

For UW, to get a big4 job, you can email the DD director, and he'll give DD's permission to apply to them on Jobmine.

FWIW, most people I know that had any interest in accounting are on the WLU side.

Also, read my DD thread. I feel it answers a lot of the questions you may have. Also, read posts by Noxx98 (my old account).
Was this helpful? Yes 0