yconic - Law School Questions from a Bcomm student...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Law School Questions from a Bcomm student...

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101
So I am in undergrad still (Bcomm) and I am thinking about law school maybe…possibly…idk I’m still thinking :P

I have a few questions about law school... and I want some advice/opinions!

1)When is the best time to write the LSAT? I am going to finish my degree, so I would be applying after 4th year...what do you recommend? When did you write/when are you planning to write?

2)What GPA and LSAT score do U of T, Osgoode, and McGill look for? I know these are top three more or less...what’s the “next best” in your opinion? How do you feel about the top 3 schools vs other schools? Do they open many more doors?

3)What other factors are weighed in regards to admissions? How much do ECs and such matter? Work experience?

EDIT:

4) I forgot to ask, what you think of the current state of the job market! I've heard its tough right now for law students...where do you see the market for law students in 5 - 7 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of QCman QCman
cant answer any of your questions, and honesty, not to many people on here would have gone through the law school process yet. What i can suggest is starting next year you should try to gt involved with QCLA, queens commerce law association, some of my buddies are trying to get it off the ground and will be pitching it at the start of the year at the years first comsoc assembly. They seem to have done a lot of work and have quite a few speakers lined up so expect it to be a thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QCman wrote
cant answer any of your questions, and honesty, not to many people on here would have gone through the law school process yet. What i can suggest is starting next year you should try to gt involved with QCLA, queens commerce law association, some of my buddies are trying to get it off the ground and will be pitching it at the start of the year at the years first comsoc assembly. They seem to have done a lot of work and have quite a few speakers lined up so expect it to be a thing.

COOOOL! Tanks for the tip :) Sounds like a great idea, can't believe it didn't exist before now! Do you know if it's going to be like a one-weekend conference or a committee or a speaker series??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
its an industry association not a conference. So there will be speakers every now ad then, they will give input on how to deal with law school apps, practice law cases and that kind of thing. Right now the exec is pretty much just comm 14's and one 4 year. I think they are only hiring one more exec apart from the frosh rep but i don't really remember. Even if you dont get a spot on the exec, it will be a good association to be a part of to get and experiences of things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Before writing the LSAT it's best for you to practice for it. Do some past LSAT tests, take LSAT prep courses. It's not a knowledge test but a skills test composed of logical reasoning, reading comprehension and analytical reasoning. There's an unscored section and writing sample as well. Only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer and the field interests you because requires dedication.

GPA and LSAT go hand in hand. If your GPA is slightly lower its best to have a higher LSAT score and vice-versa. U of T is the hardest to get into. For those law schools, the average GPA needed is 3.7+ with an LSAT score of 160+, so around an A- to A average. If you're looking at just Ontario there are only 6 law schools and in my opinion after U of T and Osgoode the next best are Western, Queens, Ottawa and Windsor. Depending on what field you want to specialize in some are better than others. Windsor is better for social justice, Ottawa for common law, western for corporate law, etc.

Law schools like Osgoode and Windsor have a more holistic approach meaning that they take your extracurriculars and experience strongly into account to see how you are well-rounded while U of T is strictly a numbers game where they mostly care about your scores. There are rankings for law schools so going to the better ones offer you better opportunities and careers with large firms but if you go to a law school like Windsor and graduate at the top of your class, you will get the job over someone who graduated from U of T at the bottom of their class.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@unigirl123101 wrote
1)When is the best time to write the LSAT? I am going to finish my degree, so I would be applying after 4th year...what do you recommend? When did you write/when are you planning to write?

I wrote in October 2010 and would have been starting law school in September 2012. I've heard the December LSAT is bell-curved to be easier, since at that time students are also working on exams, heading home for Christmas, etc.

2)What GPA and LSAT score do U of T, Osgoode, and McGill look for? I know these are top three more or less...what’s the “next best” in your opinion? How do you feel about the top 3 schools vs other schools? Do they open many more doors?

Use a Google search. That information is easy to find. If that doesn't work search here.

3)What other factors are weighed in regards to admissions? How much do ECs and such matter? Work experience?

Extra-curriculars, volunteer experience, work experience, and awards.

4) I forgot to ask, what you think of the current state of the job market! I've heard its tough right now for law students...where do you see the market for law students in 5 - 7 years?

It is tough. I did great on my LSAT, in my marks, and I have stellar EC's, honours and awards, and work experience. However not even I got into law school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@lashes wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
I wrote in October 2010 and would have been starting law school in September 2012. I've heard the December LSAT is bell-curved to be easier, since at that time students are also working on exams, heading home for Christmas, etc.

I did great on my LSAT, in my marks, and I have stellar EC's, honours and awards, and work experience. However not even I got into law school.

What a fvcking idiot.

What's the problem?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samwise575 samwise575

@ARMY101 wrote

@lashes wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

I did great on my LSAT, in my marks, and I have stellar EC's, honours and awards, and work experience. However not even I got into law school.

What a fvcking idiot.

What's the problem?

You think you're the sh!t when clearly you aren't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111

@samwise575 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@lashes wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

What a fvcking idiot.

What's the problem?

You think you're the sh!t when clearly you aren't.

He probably wrote his personal statements with the same arrogant tone that he uses when he posts here. That would explain it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ I think that's the only thing that would explain it. He comes across as a very arrogant/obnoxious person in these forums, I would imagine that tone came across in whatever writing he provided for admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QCman wrote
its an industry association not a conference. So there will be speakers every now ad then, they will give input on how to deal with law school apps, practice law cases and that kind of thing. Right now the exec is pretty much just comm 14's and one 4 year. I think they are only hiring one more exec apart from the frosh rep but i don't really remember. Even if you dont get a spot on the exec, it will be a good association to be a part of to get and experiences of things.

Yeah, I'll be busy with other execs this year...if I don't get exec now, I'll just be sure to come out to the speakers, then I'll try again next year :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Noval Noval

@unigirl123101 wrote
So I am in undergrad still (Bcomm) and I am thinking about law school maybe…possibly…idk I’m still thinking :P

I have a few questions about law school... and I want some advice/opinions!

EDIT:

Sorry if i'm reallay late, but i'll still throw my 2 cents:

1)Take it when you're ready, do not speed things up.

2)Canadian Law Schools, unlike U.S. Law Schools, are far more GPA heavy, so you should put grades at your top priority, without neglecting the LSAT.ECs also make a HUGE difference between an acceptance or rejection.

3.8 +/164-165 +/ECs would put you in a great position for acceptance.

If you want BigLaw, clearly top schools will do best, but it doesn't necessarily open "more doors", BigLaw recruiters put more weight into your grades during Law School, your activities, awards, than the name of your school.So if you graduate from a Top School with mediocre grades, your mobility instantly becomes worse than a grad from say, Windsor Law, assuming he has better stats all around.In the end, those with good grades will get the interviews, not those from the best schools, and in the interviews, whoever the interviewer likes better gets the job.
The only reason top schools place more in BigLaw is because more students going there want BigLaw, and honestly, when you're graduating with like 80k debt from UofT, you don't really have a choice huh ?
Outside of BigLaw ? Nobody cares where you went, you'll see people from every school in Government, In-House, Smaller firms, MidLaw...

4)While our market is not the best (Especially since the CBA wants to pop in 2 more Law Schools for the sake of money), it's still much better than the U.S...All our Law Schools place students in BigLaw and in Government, and grades will trace your future...
Those with the best grades will get the best jobs, regardless of the school.
Those with the normal grades will still find something decent, regardless of the school.
Graduate below median at any Law School and you're doomed.

If we compare it to U.S. Law Schools, the average student would never survive, unless he is from HYS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0