yconic - Letters of Reference Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Letters of Reference Help

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
I'm applying to Ryerson's Child and Youth Care program, and one of the non-academic requirements is one letter of reference.

"A Letter of Reference (One only). The letter of reference should be dated within the last year, have an original signature, and be on letterhead. It should speak to the quality of your involvement with children and youth."

The problem is that I've been volunteering at an after school program, and they won't give letters of reference unless you complete 100 hours, they're very strict. By the end of the year, I would complete only 80. I was hoping only to get one of my teachers to write me a reference, but it says it should speak to the quality of involvement with children and youth. What do I do, should I even bother applying?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Don't give up because of that unless this is your last choice/safety program and you don't really want to go anyways. Any chance you can put in more hours at the after school program so you'd have 100 by the end of the year? Go an extra day per week or stay an extra hour and it'll add up to 20 more hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
There's no way I can put in more hours, the daycare runs from 3:30-6:00pm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Luan Luan
Perhaps you can tell your teacher that you work in this program and your teacher can mention it? That's just my two cents though. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
u should DEF try

when i applied last year i saw people with some reference letters that didnt even match the criteria and still got accepted...depends on the school/admission officer...sometimse just 'having one' is good enough
Was this helpful? Yes 0