yconic - Life at Guelph
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life at Guelph

A photo of Smiles93 Smiles93
Hey guys :)
Can someone tell me about the residences, life at Guelph, and the overall atmosphere there? I've been there very briefly, but it was during exam week so not a lot was going on.

Some things to consider... lol.
I'm shy, but I love talking to someone once I get to know them. I'm really friendly too, but I don't consider myself a party girl. I usually don't start the conversation, I'll just wait until someone starts to talk to me. That's usually the case, especially when random people come up to me and ask for help. It never works the other way around for me, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of g93 g93
It has the best food :chef:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smiles93 Smiles93

@g93 wrote
It has the best food :chef:

Yeah, I've heard that a lot! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Student89 Student89

@Smiles93 wrote
Can someone tell me about the residences, life at Guelph, and the overall atmosphere there? I've been there very briefly, but it was during exam week so not a lot was going on.

I'm shy, but I love talking to someone once I get to know them. I'm really friendly too, but I don't consider myself a party girl. I usually don't start the conversation, I'll just wait until someone starts to talk to me. That's usually the case, especially when random people come up to me and ask for help. It never works the other way around for me, lol.

Ya exam time is room/library/study area times, but UofG is awesome, the atmostphere is great, a lot of smiling, friendly people. When i was a frosh i was shy, not knowing what i was gettin into, but i knew no one would know who i am, so i decided to be more open and meet everyone. But, that was hard because i was in the East Rez building which has two electric locks, an elevator and suit locks, so you never meet anyone, except parties (which you pretty much have to invite yourself to). North and South are the best rez's. Parties, good people and most arent the type to be in their rooms all day until classes. The food is amazing, diverse as well so its a good change from where i was at high school. Like i said, there really is no worries, if you know someone or many people that are going to be there with you, than you stick with them until you branch off to people you'll know forever, and if you know no one, it'll be a good chance to possibly try not being shy, at least when you're walking around rez halls. For me, i had no one in my rez i knew when switching from East to South rez so it was tough, but i just asked people if they wanted to get lunch and i met so many great people that way.

If you are a hetrosexual girl and single going into UofG, after a while (if you keep being shy), you'll get sick of the women population. I'm a guy and i love it, but ALL of my girl friends complain all the time about there being so many girls. There are guys, they are just shy and most of the 'good' guys are as well. It's hard to juggle the work and social but having a relationship is even more work so remember that... it comes to a surprise for some girls that hope they'll just hop into uni and get a guy, thats not always the case.

Overall tho, UofG is amazing, great food, people, buildings, funny/weird brilliant teachers, and plenty of stuff to do on campus (alone or in groups).

Good Luck and do have fun!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@Smiles93 wrote

Guelph is amazing. :) I love it there. You sound a lot like me: shy, but friendly when I know someone. I lived in a quiet/study intensive area in res, and I became good friends with a group of people in the same residence. We still had fun on weekends (we would go out to Shakespeare's or out dancing on Friday or Saturday) but during the week we would study and just hang out together. I also joined several clubs on campus, which made it easier to meet people.

The people are very friendly at Guelph, the profs really care about us students, and the food is terrific! There is lots to do on campus, and it is a lovely campus. The arboretum is great for walking or running. There are also lots of supports for students in place, and I've really enjoyed my time there so far. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rhythmnationx7 rhythmnationx7
You sound A LOT like me. Haha! I'm also going to Guelph next year and am super shy at first. But, from what I've heard, everyone seems to be nice and always helpful. The atmosphere seems welcoming! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0