yconic - Life Sci as a career questionn
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life Sci as a career questionn

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi, I live in Ontario and am looking to pursue life sci in university. I'm curious about what the jobs in the field are that don't have to do with being a doctor, researcher, or in academia and how the pay are in those occupations because I've heard that if you major in bio but dont go to med school or do a master/phd, your degree is useless? how true is that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It's strange how you're asking this question. A general science degree IS useless without further education. Ask anybody who currently has one of those degrees and is working at Starbucks or other retail locations. Everybody that I've ever met who has one of those degrees (whether it be biochem, biology, zoology, etc) and has decided that for whatever reason not to pursue further education isn't doing anything too productive in their lives. Life sci isn't a professional degree so it won't lead you directly to a career.

Research Assistant Positions are usually taken by People with masters degrees or individuals who carry College diplomas in programs like Biotechnology Technologist. Just cause you have a degree in Biology/Life Sciences doesn't make you a certified lab tech to perform laboratory tasks. The whole point of an undergraduate degree in Life Sciences is to prepare you for further education, it leads to no qualifications by it self. Really, you have a generic degree that doesn't qualify you to really do anything. This should be obvious to you when you look at the program structure and courses, and the entry level job market. 

The skills you acquire from a undergrad biology or life science degree very rarely allows you to work in any other field since they are so specific. The skills you gain are mostly knowledge and NOT practical skills you'd otherwise find useful in business, management, entrepreneurship, information technology, etc... And even if you count the knowledge, it's not as sufficient as what you'd get a from a PhD so most industry jobs are closed off to you as well. 

Of course, you do qualify for jobs that ask for ANY DEGREE since that is a minimum requirement for a lot of jobs, but these are usually low paying administrative jobs and such. If you wanted to do that then why waste your efforts and money on a science degree over business then?

Forget about a science degree if you don't want to pursue any form of further schooling past simply a 4 year undergraduate degree, With the exception of nursing, these degrees are not designed to prepare you for the job market but rather for academia and health care professional school programs. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1