yconic - Life Sci vs. Health Sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life Sci vs. Health Sci

A photo of Carter14 Carter14
I was wondering what are the basic differences between these two course and would some of the course and both programs overlap each other? Also if you chose one of these programs would it affect the way other future programs look at you (Ex. dental practice or med school0?

Any answer would be a big help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of wtsmb wtsmb
That would be my question too!
I'm accepted in to Life Sciences @ mac, didn't apply to Health Sciences since I didn't know anything about it, kinda regretted not to apply for it since it seems to be harder to get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Life sci is a broad program, allowing you to specialize in pretty much any field of science after 1st year (bio, chem, physics, psych, biopsych, biochem, molecular bio, genetics, etc).

In Ontario, there are pretty much just 2 health sci programs - at UWO and at Mac. Health sci at Mac is a small program (~160 students/year) that focuses on the human health care field. You take courses like human anatomy & physiology, epidemiology, health policy, cell bio, biochem, critical appraisal of medical literature, etc. Basically both the science AND social science courses related to health care and medicine.

Health sci at UWO is different - it's a social science degree that gears you towards a career in public health and health policy. The courses you will be taking will be things like health policy, models of health care delivery, health promotion, occupational hazards, trends in health care, determinants of health, global health etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of crazyfrog007 crazyfrog007

@inthemaking wrote
Life sci is a broad program, allowing you to specialize in pretty much any field of science after 1st year (bio, chem, physics, psych, biopsych, biochem, molecular bio, genetics, etc).

In Ontario, there are pretty much just 2 health sci programs - at UWO and at Mac. Health sci at Mac is a small program (~160 students/year) that focuses on the human health care field. You take courses like human anatomy & physiology, epidemiology, health policy, cell bio, biochem, critical appraisal of medical literature, etc. Basically both the science AND social science courses related to health care and medicine.

Health sci at UWO is different - it's a social science degree that gears you towards a career in public health and health policy. The courses you will be taking will be things like health policy, models of health care delivery, health promotion, occupational hazards, trends in health care, determinants of health, global health etc.

University of Ottawa also has a Health Science program although its rather new compared to other Universities.

And, I never knew that UWO's Health Science program gears you towards the social sciene side. I always thought it was very similar to Mac's health science. Was I wrong all along?
Would it still provide me with the strong foundations for Med school or Pharmacy school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@crazyfrog007 wrote

@inthemaking wrote

University of Ottawa also has a Health Science program although its rather new compared to other Universities.

And, I never knew that UWO's Health Science program gears you towards the social sciene side. I always thought it was very similar to Mac's health science. Was I wrong all along?
Would it still provide me with the strong foundations for Med school or Pharmacy school?

Yeah, it's very much a social science degree. Take a look at this, it compares BSc, BMSc and BHSc degrees at UWO: http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/health_studies/academic_counselling/difference.html And this is a listing of health sci courses: http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/health_studies/course_outlines/archive/2010_11.html

That's not to say it isn't a good program, but UWO health sci is not "science" program (you don't take any bio/chem/physics-based courses at all) so you would have to use your electives to fulfill any med/pharm school prereqs and to take science courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0