yconic - Life Science At University of Toronto
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life Science At University of Toronto

A photo of BillieJackson BillieJackson
Hi Everyone,

I applied to the life science program at two of the University of Toronto campuses (St. George and Mississauga). I currently have an 80% average and I was just wondering which one would I more more likely to get accepted to.

Thanks alot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
Not to sound like an ass, but an 80% avg. is extremely low in comparison to the other kids in UTSG life sciences who have 90%+ grade 12 averages and yet struggle mightily in pulling off 70's in UTSG. UTSG is gonna be very challenging for you I reckon, I myself am in first year at UTSG and it is very challenging. If I were you I would go to UTM for life sciences, its considerably easier than UTSG and in the end its still UofT. The thing that baffles me is all these kids that live in Mississauga yet attend UTSG for life sciences, its FARKIN mind-blowing, why the hell would you go somewhere much further away for essentially the same crap yet get lower marks? Makes no sense, if you live closer to UTM than UTSG, even if your a 99% student, you should attend UTM for life sciences instead of UTSG. That's just my advice.

BTW your gonna most likely get accepted to both, UofT in general accepts a boatload of students with even mid 70's with the idea that they can make a quick buck off of the poor kids.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew when the next batch of acceptances are being sent out fot this program? Or is it on an ongoing basis?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@c12 wrote
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew when the next batch of acceptances are being sent out fot this program? Or is it on an ongoing basis?

If you're from Ontario, I think the next batch will come out around semester 2 mid-terms.. so in the next few weeks.

Also - 80% is pretty low.. :S Pretty borderline, I would say.
But I think you still have a shot at both, maybe for the May round of acceptances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
Thanks for responding!

I noticed the above about UTSG being rather difficult, can anyone say what exactly is difficult? The workload? The Professors? or the exams? Or is it a combination of all?

Thanks in advanced
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Probably a combo of all three.
But I heard that some professors are harder than others.
There's someone on this forum that's at UTSG Life Sci....
littleroom?
I think so.
Look around for her? posts.
:P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@c12 wrote
Thanks for responding!

I noticed the above about UTSG being rather difficult, can anyone say what exactly is difficult? The workload? The Professors? or the exams? Or is it a combination of all?

Thanks in advanced

@cyynthiia wrote
^
Probably a combo of all three.
But I heard that some professors are harder than others.
There's someone on this forum that's at UTSG Life Sci....
littleroom?
I think so.
Look around for her? posts.
:P

Yes, it's a combination of all three, plus a few more things. As cheesy as this sounds, your attitude towards school will determine how well you do too. Most likely, one of your midterms in first year (and even more likely, you first CHM139 midterm) will be horrible. How you react to that will be very important for how well you do. Another is not letting your ego carry over into UTSG. Everyone here did nearly as well, just as well, or better than you in high school. You won't be getting the same marks by acting like it's high school, or that you're naturally better than most students. You can't prioritize much (especially partying) over school here, if you wish to do well.

By the way, I'm male. I suppose it's my name that sounds feminine. I didn't mean it to be, it's just a song of The White Stripes that I like.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
Thanks for the insight everyone! It has been very helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for hijacking my thread. Just kidding.. no harm done (I learned some stuff too):dj:

Anyways, I'm really wondering on which one ill most likely be accepted to. This is due to the mere fact that Mississauga will look at my chemistry mark while St. George will not. My chemistry mark is just tearing down my average because it's at a 73% right now. Also, it states that St. George pay a great deal of attention to English and Calculus marks. I have an 88 and 85 in both respectively.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the previous feedback by the way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
Sorry about that! I just didn't want to make another thread on basically the same topic :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote

Yes, it's a combination of all three, plus a few more things. As cheesy as this sounds, your attitude towards school will determine how well you do too. Most likely, one of your midterms in first year (and even more likely, you first CHM139 midterm) will be horrible. How you react to that will be very important for how well you do. Another is not letting your ego carry over into UTSG. Everyone here did nearly as well, just as well, or better than you in high school. You won't be getting the same marks by acting like it's high school, or that you're naturally better than most students. You can't prioritize much (especially partying) over school here, if you wish to do well.

By the way, I'm male. I suppose it's my name that sounds feminine. I didn't mean it to be, it's just a song of The White Stripes that I like.

SORRY, my bad!
Good thing I put a ? after her.
I'll remember that for future references. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BillieJackson wrote
Thanks for hijacking my thread. Just kidding.. no harm done (I learned some stuff too):dj:

Anyways, I'm really wondering on which one ill most likely be accepted to. This is due to the mere fact that Mississauga will look at my chemistry mark while St. George will not. My chemistry mark is just tearing down my average because it's at a 73% right now. Also, it states that St. George pay a great deal of attention to English and Calculus marks. I have an 88 and 85 in both respectively.

What do you guys think?

Universities always bullshit with that crap, they don't put emphasis on it in reality, if you have a high 70% top 6 avg. or > then UTSG & UTM will gladly accept you like the tons of other kids they accept every year. I know kids that had borderline 75% top 6 avg.'s and still got into UTSG, they do accept a ton of students. UTM will accept you too, you shouldn't worry about getting accepted if your in the 77ish and above region. In terms of where you go is another story, I can't stress this enough, if you live in Mississauga you should go to UTM just as if you life in Scarborough you should go to UTSC unless your program isn't offered at the school. In this case life sciences is offered at UTM and it is easier at UTM than UTSG. The plus side is that you can even take various courses at the UTSG campus as a UTM student and there's a free bus that travels from UTM to UTSG multiple times daily and its for free if your a UTM student which is awesome. So if you were smart you would take your basic courses at UTM campus (Math, Bio, Chem, Physics, etc) and take an elective or electives at UTSG as UTSG offers a great variety of courses in numerous fields that UTM doesn't. That's just my advice though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sheldore wrote

@BillieJackson wrote

What do you guys think?

Universities always bullcrap with that crap, they don't put emphasis on it in reality, if you have a high 70% top 6 avg. or > then UTSG & UTM will gladly accept you like the tons of other kids they accept every year. I know kids that had borderline 75% top 6 avg.'s and still got into UTSG, they do accept a ton of students. UTM will accept you too, you shouldn't worry about getting accepted if your in the 77ish and above region. In terms of where you go is another story, I can't stress this enough, if you live in Mississauga you should go to UTM just as if you life in Scarborough you should go to UTSC unless your program isn't offered at the school. In this case life sciences is offered at UTM and it is easier at UTM than UTSG. The plus side is that you can even take various courses at the UTSG campus as a UTM student and there's a free bus that travels from UTM to UTSG multiple times daily and its for free if your a UTM student which is awesome. So if you were smart you would take your basic courses at UTM campus (Math, Bio, Chem, Physics, etc) and take an elective or electives at UTSG as UTSG offers a great variety of courses in numerous fields that UTM doesn't. That's just my advice though.

Thanks for your advice Sheldore. Well, believe it or not, I live in Mississauga. I don't know why but I have a feeling I won't be accepted into life science in UTM, therefore I didn't even apply. I applied to Chemical & Physical sciences there instead. Should I switch that to Life Science?

Thanks agian to everyone else
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BillieJackson wrote

@Sheldore wrote

@BillieJackson wrote

What do you guys think?

Universities always bullcrap with that crap, they don't put emphasis on it in reality, if you have a high 70% top 6 avg. or > then UTSG & UTM will gladly accept you like the tons of other kids they accept every year. I know kids that had borderline 75% top 6 avg.'s and still got into UTSG, they do accept a ton of students. UTM will accept you too, you shouldn't worry about getting accepted if your in the 77ish and above region. In terms of where you go is another story, I can't stress this enough, if you live in Mississauga you should go to UTM just as if you life in Scarborough you should go to UTSC unless your program isn't offered at the school. In this case life sciences is offered at UTM and it is easier at UTM than UTSG. The plus side is that you can even take various courses at the UTSG campus as a UTM student and there's a free bus that travels from UTM to UTSG multiple times daily and its for free if your a UTM student which is awesome. So if you were smart you would take your basic courses at UTM campus (Math, Bio, Chem, Physics, etc) and take an elective or electives at UTSG as UTSG offers a great variety of courses in numerous fields that UTM doesn't. That's just my advice though.

Thanks for your advice Sheldore. Well, believe it or not, I live in Mississauga. I don't know why but I have a feeling I won't be accepted into life science in UTM, therefore I didn't even apply. I applied to Chemical & Physical sciences there instead. Should I switch that to Life Science?

Don't even worry about it, first year is all general so if you want to do life sciences just take the basic life science courses first year and your okay so don't stress over it, first year is totally basic first year for all science students so it doesn't matter you'll be good.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@Sheldore wrote

@BillieJackson wrote

@Sheldore wrote

@BillieJackson wrote

What do you guys think?

Don't even worry about it, first year is all general so if you want to do life sciences just take the basic life science courses first year and your okay so don't stress over it, first year is totally basic first year for all science students so it doesn't matter you'll be good.

Thanks

Which school are you attending and for which program? Just wondering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
UTSG Life Sci, I bet.
Pretty sure I read that he/she goes there somewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
^
UTSG Life Sci, I bet.
Pretty sure I read that he/she goes there somewhere.

Yup just finishing up first year life-sci at UTSG, and its he :P. So yeah I know about UTSG and UTM its the same thing first year is totally general you aren't actually enrolled in any program and then after first year you enroll in a Subject POst which is basically a fancy name for major. Some Subject POst's have specific course & grade requirements while others have just a requirement of completion of specific courses and then there are some POst's that have a limited amount of spots so you have to get high grades to enroll in them. I know it sounds like a whole lot of useless jargon right now but you'll get the jist of it once you begin first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9

@littleroom wrote

little room is such a scary song
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@fruitpunch9 wrote

@littleroom wrote

little room is such a scary song

Haha, yeah, it's not commercially-friendly and neither is it that melodically pleasing, but The White Stripes are a garage rock band and I like that about them. The message is a nice one too.

P.S. Sheldore, are you staying at UTSG after first year ends?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nope I'm out after this year, switching to York for BioChem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikhaylova13 mikhaylova13
my cousin is in life sciences at st. George right now, and they let her in just a few days before the deadline with like an 80% average..
PS if you get in she wants to sell her textbooks, so... send me a message and maybe i'll make some money too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
You should be okay, try and pull your marks up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0