yconic - Life Science Careers
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life Science Careers

A photo of brady23 brady23
What kinds of jobs are available to people with an undergrad in Life Science who don't want to go to graduate school (other than professional schools like Dentistry, Pharmacy, Medicine, etc.)?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of biosci biosci
There really isn't too much you can do. You might be able to work in a lab as an assistant or something. You would probably at least need to go to college for like Nuclear Medicine Technologist or Medical Laboratory Assistant....teachers college?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Something unrelated to your degree (eg. bank teller)

Research lab assistant/technician
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of morraa2 morraa2
Have you considered getting an MBA? You can get into health care administration or Pharmaceuticals. Other than that..not much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElainaWalker ElainaWalker
Undergrads do not have much of job opportunities. They may fit into some profile or other, but there wouldn't be a significant growth. It's very important to go for a specification, as this is what an employer look for. But nowadays specialization courses are also available online. For life science undergrads who doesn't want to go for any regular graduate course, can do some online course. By doing this they can continue with their temporary jobs and simultaneously complete their degree also. For life science under grads MRI technician career would be great, as the colleges offering online course are also providing grants. These grants completely takes care of the study cost of the students. http://mritechnicianschools.net/mri-technician-college-grants/
These grants also ensures that the student is only focusing on the studies and not on the school fees. Hence the course would neither consume the money nor time of the student and would fetch you a degree also.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov
I'm not aware of ANY undergrad degree that allows you to have a decent job after graduation... Maybe some of the business degrees and engineering / nursing? I don't know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@Comradeponov wrote
I'm not aware of ANY undergrad degree that allows you to have a decent job after graduation... Maybe some of the business degrees and engineering / nursing? I don't know.

Any professional program will allow you to have a decent job after graduating with a bachelor's degree, as long as you can present yourself well at job interviews and have managed to obtain some sort of related job experience, either through co-op, internships, summer jobs, or volunteering. Professional programs include engineering, nursing, dietetics, medical radiation science, and certain business programs (such as accounting). I'm sure there are also other, of which I am unaware. There are also certain areas of specialization in the sciences that have excellent prospects for graduates, such as food science, computer science, and kinesiology/human kinetics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Very little.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that on the other side of your life science degree is a a secured ticket into a land of wonder and prosperity. There are plenty of people with plain science degrees that have to explore alternate paths (like grad school, research, teaching), most of which have salaries that pale far in comparison to that of a professional designation. The way the world is shaping up to be, an undergraduate degree will (and is) not be enough to provide job security.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
Could I go into physiotherapy with a life science degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@brady23 wrote
Could I go into physiotherapy with a life science degree?

Yes. Physio is a pretty popular choice for people coming out of life science degrees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0