yconic - Life Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life Science

A photo of zainy1993 zainy1993
Hey, I'm just wondering,its kind of late now but what average would you need for early acceptance to mcmaster, western and u of t life science, becuase all my friends got early acceptance and im the only one who didnt. My first semester marks are:

Adv Functions: 88
Chemistry: 83
Business: 90

Also, do you think ill get into Victoria, U of T life sciences. I know that you need like an 83-85% for U of T but what about the different colleges in U of T, because for trinity I've heard that you need like a 90+ or something.

My second semester marks are probably going to be:

Biology: 88
Physics: 92
Calculus: 90
English: 85

And pretend you get like a 88.8 average for your top 6. When it's sent to the Uni's will they get 88.8 or 89?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I only know about Mcmaster. I went to the Life Sciences presentation and they said the addmission averages for fall 2011 are 83-86%. It was mid to high 80s..I think it dropped. Last year was abnormally high. Western should be mid to high 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
In addition to that post,
U of T is around the same.
It's mid to high 80's as well, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
You probably won't get early acceptance but you can definitely expect an acceptance in the next little while for U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, about Vic.. are you from Ontario?
If so, I do believe you had a SPF for colleges?
I hope it was well done if that's the case. You may be quite borderline for Vic, but still have a pretty good shot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup,I'm from Ontario. I didn't spend to much time on the SPF questions. People told me that they don't really look at them that much, and it's only the marks they care about.O man, hope I dont get rejected.

At mcmaster is the life science program overshadowed by health science. It just seems to me that anybody who couldn't get into health science at mac is probably going to go to life sciences? My friend told me that all the health science students are really cocky.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chandlerowns Chandlerowns
Yeah in Life Science people go in with the idea that "all Health Science kids are cocky". Therefore they keep this bias going into university, even though I've never seen anything that should warrant these feelings. If you go to McMaster please don't go in with that frame of mind, Health Science kids are exactly the same as Life Science ones, but in a different program. They are in no way 'cocky'. This all comes around from a couple of upper year life sci's every year with unresolved feelings thinking they need to make new life science students feel the same way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chandlerowns wrote
Yeah in Life Science people go in with the idea that "all Health Science kids are cocky". Therefore they keep this bias going into university, even though I've never seen anything that should warrant these feelings. If you go to McMaster please don't go in with that frame of mind, Health Science kids are exactly the same as Life Science ones, but in a different program. They are in no way 'cocky'. This all comes around from a couple of upper year life sci's every year with unresolved feelings thinking they need to make new life science students feel the same way.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Trinity is more based on marks, I would say.
I don't think Vic is so heavily weighed on marks though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KOBEstyll KOBEstyll
can you make mcmaster life science if ur avg is like 85/86? cuz this year its mid to high 80s? and if you have 90 ur pretty much in rite?
and I know this is out of topic but the other forum didn't answer :P but for OSAP how accurate is the estimation? like its an estimation but did u guys recieve roughly the amount it estimated on OSAP calculator on the website?

thx =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@zainy1993 wrote

And pretend you get like a 88.8 average for your top 6. When it's sent to the Uni's will they get 88.8 or 89?

They don't get your average, they get your marks and then they calculate it either based on prerequisites or your highest marks. And honestly, I don't think the difference between 88.8 and 89 will affect anything much
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you guies think that the Mac life sci cut off average is lower than 87? Because that's what it was last year, and sadly my marks are dropping like crazy. Im at an 85-86%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would think it goes up, not down.
Especially with the competition this year.
Just look at all the smart kids on this forum.
But you may be one of the lucky ones.
If you can maintain an 86.. you MAY still get an acceptance.. in May perhaps, definitely not now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And your OSAP question..
Go post it on the threads in the "Money, That's what I want" section..
I've seen tons of threads about this already, your answer is probably in there somewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@safarhealthsci1 wrote
I only know about Mcmaster. I went to the Life Sciences presentation and they said the addmission averages for fall 2011 are 83-86%. It was mid to high 80s..I think it dropped. Last year was abnormally high. Western should be mid to high 80s.

Hi, when did you go to the presentation? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0