yconic - Life Sciences at McMaster!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life Sciences at McMaster!!!

A photo of Saba18 Saba18
Hi everyone,

My name is Saba and I recently got accepted to life sciences at McMaster. I want to get into med school and I really want to try my best to manage a 3.8-4.0 gpa in university. I have an average of about 94% right now counting my top six high school subjects, but I know university is going to be nothing like high school, so I really can't be sure if I can still maintain that mark in university. Can any McMaster students tell me exactly how hard it is to get a gpa of that range and share some tips on managing the work load? To be honest I have not been the kind of person who studies for hours in high school, I usually do not study a lot, I only study and learn during class hours and go briefly over my notes for a test or exam. But this strategy is definitely not going to work in university and I know it. I'm kind of freaked out coz everyone is like "oh university is so hard..." and stuff, therefore I really wanna know how hard it can get so that I prepare myself in some ways.

Thank you very much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@Saba18 wrote
Hi everyone,

My name is Saba and I recently got accepted to life sciences at McMaster. I want to get into med school and I really want to try my best to manage a 3.8-4.0 gpa in university. I have an average of about 94% right now counting my top six high school subjects, but I know university is going to be nothing like high school, so I really can't be sure if I can still maintain that mark in university. Can any McMaster students tell me exactly how hard it is to get a gpa of that range and share some tips on managing the work load? To be honest I have not been the kind of person who studies for hours in high school, I usually do not study a lot, I only study and learn during class hours and go briefly over my notes for a test or exam. But this strategy is definitely not going to work in university and I know it. I'm kind of freaked out coz everyone is like "oh university is so hard..." and stuff, therefore I really wanna know how hard it can get so that I prepare myself in some ways.

Thank you very much.

I'll be attending this fall as well. My friend who's currently in LS said that it's very manageable. If you don't study for hours at end, that's fine, you have to study in the way that is most efficient for yourself. I had the choice of attending less competitive schools, but I chose not to. I chose McMaster because I love the school, the environment, and the courses, which I feel are the factors that will make or break a students education experience.

If you want to hear personal testimonials from Life Science students, join the "McMaster Accepted 2016" Facebook group, or browse the MacInsiders forum.

See you this fall :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Saba18 Saba18
Thank you so much. It's actually a relief to hear that it's manageable. I don't think I can think about any other universities other than McMaster as well. I'll be joining the facebook group and MacInsiders shortly. Once again thanks a lot.

See you this fall:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0