yconic - Life sciences at McMaster
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Life sciences at McMaster

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov
Have any of you guys researched the life sciences program at McMaster, in regards to the quality of the program compared to other universities, and more importantly, the difficulty of the program compared to a health science course in say Western or ottawa, and also compared to life sciences at other universities, specially Toronto (Since I've heard Life Sciences is extremely difficult at Toronto.)

Also, do you know if I'll be able to take all the courses needed for med school if I do Life Sciences?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of morraa2 morraa2
The courses needed for med school can be taken regardless of what program your in. I guess just the beauty of life sci is that they're your mandatory courses. I was in the Mac life sci program for the past 3 years so I'll tell you my thoughts. I find McMaster to overall be a very research-oriented school. Even in your first year psych they tell you that mac doesn't focus a lot on clinical, but rather experimental psych.. just to give an example. I'd say Mac is really lacking in anatomy/physiology courses unless you go into kin or health sci. Really though if your aim is medical school getting into health sci at mac will set you up for success. If you're interested in business too western Biomed is a great program for that .. you can combine it with an ivey degree I believe. Really think about what interests you and what you're going to want to study hard throughout 4 years because I mean at the end of the day you need 3.9/4.0 GPA so whatever program you choose to pursue better be something you're willing to spend hours studying for lol. Hope that helps! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What would you say about the overall difficulty of the life sciences program? Obviously if I get accepted into health sciences at McMaster I would do that, but not every one gets in.

How hard is it to obtain a high GPA (3.8+) in the McMaster Life Sciences program? I know you have to work hard, etc etc, but my question is in terms of the difficulty of the course its self compared to, say, health sciences at one of the other schools I listed in my signature.

My overall concern is getting a high GPA, so I'm wondering if the Life Sciences program is too difficult compared to programs at other schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of morraa2 morraa2

@Comradeponov wrote
What would you say about the overall difficulty of the life sciences program? Obviously if I get accepted into health sciences at McMaster I would do that, but not every one gets in.

How hard is it to obtain a high GPA (3.8+) in the McMaster Life Sciences program? I know you have to work hard, etc etc, but my question is in terms of the difficulty of the course its self compared to, say, health sciences at one of the other schools I listed in my signature.

My overall concern is getting a high GPA, so I'm wondering if the Life Sciences program is too difficult compared to programs at other schools.

if u wanna go by gpa stay awayyyyyy from UofT lol. far far far away. i noticed in another thread you mentioned that you're in IB..may I ask what high school?

at McMaster you have a choice of program major come second year, Life Sciences being one of them. Hon. Life Sciences at Mac does allow you to take a lot more electives than the other majors, which is good.. what i'd suggest is to take a look at the undergraduate calendar for mac and see what programs interest you within science. and then do the same for western biomed. I can't speak for UWO, but I know at Mac if you put in the effort, you will get the marks. I think it's the same at UWO though..and I personally love the programs they offer at UWO vs at Mac..kinda wish I went to UWO in the first place lol but that's life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I go to Cameron Heights.

I'm interested in UWO aswell, but my dad is telling me that their health sciences program has a horrible reputation for med school. I'm not sure if this is true. I'm still applying either way.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Health sci at UWO is NOT the same as health sci at Mac/other schools. The UWO health sci is more of a social sciences program geared towards people that want to go into public health/health policy. You can still do your undergrad in it and get into med school obviously but just letting you know in case you thought it was a science program. Biomed sci at UWO is their equivalent of health/life sci at other schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To which universities does this apply?

For example, I know SFU has both a BA and a BSC for their health sciences program. If you were to, say, do health sciences at SFU (BSC), would it still be a social sciences - ish program?

I guess I'll have to talk to my guidance councillor to see which health sciences programs are genuinely science-oriented.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It really depends on the program, you'd have to look up their curriculum to see what it entails. A BA program could still be science-based (eg. I have friends in BA biochem and they clearly are in a science program).
Was this helpful? Yes 0