yconic - Like Everyone Else...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Like Everyone Else...

A photo of jennifer24 jennifer24
Just like everyone else I spend endless hours writing essays, using teacher's and employer's as references just trying to earn some extra money for university with scholarships. However, nothing ever comes of it.
So obivously, more needs to be done.

I am currently in grade 12, working two part-time jobs, both above min.wage, but not by much.
I'm not counting on getting too much from my parents. By government's standards they make enough that I do not qualify for student loans, but they are not helping me to the extent that the government says they "should."
I don't really understand how bank loans work, so I am hesitant with those. Also, I would need my parents to sign for that and that would make it so that we both need to contribute to pay it off while I am in school. Which also may not go over too well..

Although I am working 30-40 hours a week, I'm just not getting enough to suffice. Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to how I could make more? Another job is not an option since I simply just don't have time, but maybe there is something else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of rtremb rtremb
Did you do the OSAP Estimator to see approx. how much you would get from OSAP?
https://osap.gov.on.ca/AidEstimatorWeb/enterapp/enter.xhtml
If link doesn't work just Google OSAP Aid Estimator

Also the new 30% off tuition will be a help to you.

If you can live at home while going to University that helps a lot too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
Even if you're working minimum wage, unless you have significant expenses you should be able to save a decent amount of money between now and September. 30-40 hours a week for the next 7 months should make you $10,000. Try to save most of that for starters. There's your first year (if you're living at home)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rtremb wrote

I don't live, nor am I going to school in Ontario. So I wouldn't get OSAP.
Thank you though! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Even if you're working minimum wage, unless you have significant expenses you should be able to save a decent amount of money between now and September. 30-40 hours a week for the next 7 months should make you $10,000. Try to save most of that for starters. There's your first year (if you're living at home)

I won't be living at home because I am going to school a few hours away, so my approx. cost for my first year, living+tuition will be around $16 000.
I am currently saving every penny from the job that I get the most hours at, around 20-25 a week, and that goes specifically to my university savings. But sometimes this job is iffy and I don't get any hours at all, or close too. That isn't too often but especially with the current weather, I've been short hours.
My earnings from my other job though goes to gas and insurance for my car since public transportation isn't available where I live and my hours are early mornings+late nights so my dad can't drive me.

Thank you for the advice, I am currently saving as much as I can! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rtremb rtremb

@jennifer24 wrote

@rtremb wrote

I don't live, nor am I going to school in Ontario. So I wouldn't get OSAP.
Thank you though! :)

Sorry about that. You probably already know this but in case you don't -- if you are Canadian you are eligible for the Canada Students Grant Program. http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/learning/canada_student_loan/cgsp.shtml
Every little bit helps....

Aren't there any grant programs in your province - or something like OSAP?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rtremb rtremb
Another link you might like to explore if you are Canadian:

Student Loans, Grant & Scholarships (federal website)
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/learning/canada_student_loan/cgsp.shtml
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Every province has a student loan system similar to OSAP
Was this helpful? Yes 0