yconic - List of recommended first year courses to take for Computer Science @ UoT (SG)?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

List of recommended first year courses to take for Computer Science @ UoT (SG)?!

A photo of 3000 3000
Hello,

Can any of you guys taking Computer Science Program recommend me courses I should take for my first year at UoT SG? Also to note; I have 0 experience in programming.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of maelong maelong

@3000 wrote
Hello,

Can any of you guys taking Computer Science Program recommend me courses I should take for my first year at UoT SG? Also to note; I have 0 experience in programming.

Thanks

I heard cs is extremely hard course but useless because things change so fast
and ut drop cs students a lot in the 1st year, so i wouldn't recommend going to cs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@maelong wrote

@3000 wrote
Hello,

Thanks

and ut drop cs students a lot in the 1st year, so i wouldn't recommend going to cs

Not going to the program you want because its hard....
I dont find that CS changes fast.

@3000
I think there was a course list to choose from. Idk if it is like Waterloo
but there should be some Intro to CS course for people with 0 Experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 3000 3000

@maelong wrote

@3000 wrote
Hello,

Thanks

hat some people find hard maybe easy for someone else, so I'll stick to that mind set, though I appreciate your advice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apex123 apex123

@maelong wrote

@3000 wrote
Hello,

Thanks

Are you serious?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vmicro vmicro
Its a fast moving industry, for sure, but the fundamentals never change. C is still is use, relatively unchanged since it was first introduced decades ago. And it's not useless, though you do have to keep up with the industry, thats true of almost any profession.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011
I'm going into Computer Science at UofT St George, here is a list of the mandatory courses for first year. This is right off of the UofT site, and off of the many presentations I've been to about UofT CS (I do alot of research >.<)

First year (2.5 FCEs):
1. (CSC108H1, CSC148H1)/CSC150H1, CSC165H1/CSC240H1; (MAT135H1, MAT136H1)/MAT137Y1/MAT157Y1

If you have 0 experience in programming, you're going to want to take CSC108H1 (Intro to Programming), and then CSC148H1 (Advanced Programming). Don't worry, the Advanced one is a term after the Intro one, they're not together.

CSC165H1 -> Mathematical Expression and Reasoning for Computer Science

The MAT courses are just Calculus courses.

You'll have academic advising sessions, where a counselor will help you determine which course is appropriate for your skill level and what yo want to do.

You'll have 2.5 mandatory credits to take, and then you have 2.5 credits free for electives in first year.

Hope this helped! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0