yconic - Live at Home, or at Res?!?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Live at Home, or at Res?!?!

A photo of lcstudent lcstudent
Soo, I will be going to Queen's next year (yay!) but I also have lived in Kigston my entire life, so I'm trying to decide if I should live in res for first year at least? I've heard a lot of people saying to go for the experience, but I'm not sure the bill is worth it?? Any thoughts? Anyone in a similar situation?
P.S. Res deposit deadline is approaching quickly!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
I'd say save your money. I met many off-campus people during oweek and in my classes, and some are now my best friends. If you get involved in clubs, talk to people and you don't go home immediately after your classes are done then you don't really need Rez. Yes, Rez was nice experience, but I would have rather, if I could, saved my $7K to help pay for this year's tuition, books, rent, etc..

You can always move out after first year and rent a place with your friends.

Ps. meal plans suck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
If your commute isnt very long and you have an outgoing personality I say stay home n save the money. If you're a little more shy I say go to res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@BusterBaxter wrote

Ps. meal plans suck

Truth.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of qszwdxefc qszwdxefc
Think about it this way: this year is the only time in your life where you can have a true rez experience. Sure some people say you can always go for rez later, but it's never the same as first year. Money can buy you lots of things, but money can only buy you a rez experience once in your lifetime, and that is now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@qszwdxefc wrote
Think about it this way: this year is the only time in your life where you can have a true rez experience. Sure some people say you can always go for rez later, but it's never the same as first year. Money can buy you lots of things, but money can only buy you a rez experience once in your lifetime, and that is now.

^

I live about 30 minutes away from York, and I still plan on living in residence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Robert52 Robert52
Living in residence can be a real time-saver; you aren't wasting time commuting, cooking, etc. when your work load picks up and have no time to spare. Although it can be expensive.

On the other hand, if your parents drive you crazy, or have no idea what school is about, then you have no choice--you have to get away from them. Some parents don't appreciate how heavy a workload university can be and still expect you to do many chores, be in bed by 11 pm, and then squeeze in your school homework. It doesn't work like that. That would get you failed out of uni. Sometimes you pull all-nighters and barely have time to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. If they aren't prepared to support you in your new lifestyle, you are better off being in residence where you can focus on school.

Not sure what your deciding factor is--money, time, independence, etc.--just something to think about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@Robert52 wrote
Living in residence can be a real time-saver; you aren't wasting time commuting, cooking, etc. when your work load picks up and have no time to spare. Although it can be expensive.

On the other hand, if your parents drive you crazy, or have no idea what school is about, then you have no choice--you have to get away from them. Some parents don't appreciate how heavy a workload university can be and still expect you to do many chores, be in bed by 11 pm, and then squeeze in your school homework. It doesn't work like that. That would get you failed out of uni. Sometimes you pull all-nighters and barely have time to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. If they aren't prepared to support you in your new lifestyle, you are better off being in residence where you can focus on school.

Not sure what your deciding factor is--money, time, independence, etc.--just something to think about.

If your an adult (over 18) and in university, why would you have to be in bed by 11?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I just graduated with a BSc in Mechanical Engineering, while playing a varsity sport every year, and at no time did I pull an all-nighter or barely have time to eat or go to the bathroom...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute
I would say live in residence 1st year. Get the campus experience and meet friends. Then in 2nd year you can decide to live at home if residence wasn't what you wanted/too expensive. At least that way you'll only be paying for residence one year. And if you end up loving the people you meet, then you can always get an off campus house in upper years.

Since you live so close, you could probably go home frequently to eat (home food!!), do laundry, visit fam, etc. So living on campus won't be as stressful because it's easy to get home. Also since your HS friends, dr, dentist,fav places, etc is still in your city you don't have the same stress as out of city students.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Neither: get your own apartment. But if you really have to, choose home over residence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@ARMY101 wrote
Neither: get your own apartment. But if you really have to, choose home over residence.

That's your personal opinion Army...Don't be so negative. Personally I agree with you, I would have never like res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ktel wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

That's your personal opinion Army...Don't be so negative. Personally I agree with you, I would have never like res.

LOL. This thread asked for personal opinions :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Right, but you didn't back up your opinion with any reasoning, which makes it kind of unhelpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Residence without a doubt. You'll meet tons of people, have a lot of fun, and become more of an independant person if you live away from home. The bill is worth it.

Plus, how are you supposed to pick up girls and bring them home when your mom is there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
I agree with ARMY101. I lived in an apartment off-campus for my first year. I think it's the optimal choice for four reasons:

1. No distractions. Some of my friends on residence told me that even when they wanted to study, they would get pulled into socializing because of the atmosphere. Living off-campus (but close to the university) lets you socialize and study whenever you want to.

2. It's close to campus, so you're not at that great of a disadvantage from residence in this respect. Plus, walking is good for you.

3. Meal plans suck. It's cheaper to buy food from the grocery. And, this prepares you for later in life.

4. Personal bathroom and shower. I can't stand public bathrooms and showers.

I was going to say that living off-campus is expensive (especially in Toronto), but so is residence. So, if you can afford it, I'd go for an off-campus apartment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Andi Andi
Depends on a lot of things. If you are able to live at home and get along reasonably well with your parents (and are going to university to learn and not to party), then you should definitely live at home. You will save lots of money, and if you can get free room and board, why wouldn't you? It is also nice to have a support network, and trust me, if you have had a bad day at school, there is NOTHING like going home to your own bedroom.

I live about an hour from York and take the GO train. People always raise their eyebrows, but it is seriously great. I only have school two days a week, I save a ton of money, and I have lots of time on the train to read, study, and sleep. Then I have five days at home to hang out with my friends and family and do whatever I want.

I would personalyl never live in rez.. it seems so loud, messy, distracting, and expensive. However, if you are a super-extravert and don't mind all those things, then maybe rez is a good idea!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'd be lying if I said that residence didn't come without kinks. Having hundreds of students around you can be distracting, but it's a double-edged sword: you also have hundreds of students to help you out academically, socially, and emotionally. That latter-mentioned edge of the sword being much more true than the former. My roommate would sometimes (maybe three or four times throughout the year) bug me to go shoot a game of pool instead of study, a fire alarm was pulled at 3 in the morning once, I remember one night early in the year when some kids on my floor had their bass cranked and it kept me from getting to sleep... that's about it. The fun times I had in residence greatly outnumber the crappy times I had.

Also, you can't say that there are no distractions living on your own or with roommates. Most people don't have a TV in their rez room - that's one fewer major distraction. Also, knowing that the people around me were studying made me want to study. I never used the library once when I was in residence, but I use it all the time now that I have roommates and an apartment.

Furthermore, residence is almost certainly cheaper than a one-bedroom apartment. A low going rate for a one-bedroom apartment would be $800 a month x 12 = $9600. That's how much residence costs with meal plan included.

If it's a question of rez vs home, then you definitely have to consider your financial situation and the commute. Residence is fun and can save lots of time spent on a bus, train, or stuck in rush hour traffic in a car; living at home can save you quite a bit of $$$. If it's a question of rez vs one-bedroom apartment, then I'd say definitely go for residence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0