yconic - Living away from home- Carleton.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Living away from home- Carleton.

A photo of ckp ckp
Okay, so I am considering applying to Carleton for Public Affairs and Policy Management, but Ottawa is about 6 hours away from home. I've been to visit the city but not the university, so I am just curious as to if residence is accommodating, if transportation is easy, etc etc. ?
Help ? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Studentsucess1 Studentsucess1
Ottawa's five hours away for me but I think I'll apply to the university there. I've visited many times and I really like Ottawa alot it also has a really nice busing system and is less crowded and quieter then Toronto is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ckp ckp

@Studentsucess1 wrote
Ottawa's five hours away for me but I think I'll apply to the university there. I've visited many times and I really like Ottawa alot it also has a really nice busing system and is less crowded and quieter then Toronto is.

yes, I think I will avoid Toronto. What program are you applying for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Ottawa is a nice city. Carleton is as in-the-middle-of-nowhere as you can get in a big city, isn't it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ckp ckp

@g93 wrote
Ottawa is a nice city. Carleton is as in-the-middle-of-nowhere as you can get in a big city, isn't it?

I don't know, is it? :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Look here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ckp ckp

@g93 wrote
Look here.

i think that that may be inaccurate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

Yes, it definitely is. I went on a campus tour of both UOttawa & Carleton. I live in small town that I can't wait to get out of, which is why I wasn't into being in a middle-of-nowhere place like Carleton where I have to travel 20 mins by bus to get downtown. I live 7 hours away from Ottawa and I think it's a great city. Carleton seemed like a very accommodating university with good transportation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ckp ckp

@oliviacitygirl wrote

@g93 wrote

Yes, it definitely is. I went on a campus tour of both UOttawa & Carleton. I live in small town that I can't wait to get out of, which is why I wasn't into being in a middle-of-nowhere place like Carleton where I have to travel 20 mins by bus to get downtown. I live 7 hours away from Ottawa and I think it's a great city. Carleton seemed like a very accommodating university with good transportation.

so, which one will you be attending?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ckp wrote
so, which one will you be attending?

UOttawa. But both universities are great and located in a very nice city as well. I love Toronto but I definitely like Ottawa more. There are a lot of opportunities in Ottawa and it is still a big city with lots to do but not as big as Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ckp wrote

@g93 wrote
Look here.

Oops, how about this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ckp ckp

@g93 wrote

@ckp wrote

@g93 wrote
Look here.

Oops, how about this?

lol, yes thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

What? If you'd bother to look at a map you'd see it's in the south-west end of downtown. It's about 15 minutes to the parliament buildings, about 10 minutes to a mall, and you have all the stores you need (groceries, fast food, restaurants, medications) right on campus.

It's obviously not in the middle of nowhere. Idiot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ckp wrote

@g93 wrote

No, it's in the centre of everything of everything you need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ckp ckp

@ARMY101 wrote

@ckp wrote

@g93 wrote

okay! that made me a little nervous.
thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ckp wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@ckp wrote

@g93 wrote

You're welcome. Clearly g93 has never been to Carleton or even Ottawa for that matter to know the answer to your questions. I, however, do :)

There is enough on campus to sustain you from ever having to leave. On campus you have fast food, basic groceries, medications, doctors, bars, restaurants, the library, internet access and more. Off campus there's a mall 10 minutes away, the core of downtown is about 15 minutes away, and you're about 25 minutes away from Gatineau (Quebec). You're surrounded by grocery stores, fast food places, bars, and clubs, all within walking, busing, or driving distance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ckp ckp

@ARMY101 wrote

@ckp wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@ckp wrote

@g93 wrote

You're welcome. Clearly g93 has never been to Carleton or even Ottawa for that matter to know the answer to your questions. I, however, do :)

There is enough on campus to sustain you from ever having to leave. On campus you have fast food, basic groceries, medications, doctors, bars, restaurants, the library, internet access and more. Off campus there's a mall 10 minutes away, the core of downtown is about 15 minutes away, and you're about 25 minutes away from Gatineau (Quebec). You're surrounded by grocery stores, fast food places, bars, and clubs, all within walking, busing, or driving distance.

okay, thank you so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
lol thread
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote

@g93 wrote

What? If you'd bother to look at a map you'd see it's in the south-west end of downtown. It's about 15 minutes to the parliament buildings, about 10 minutes to a mall, and you have all the stores you need (groceries, fast food, restaurants, medications) right on campus.

It's obviously not in the middle of nowhere. Idiot.

If you decided to read all of what I wrote new concept, now why don't you go finish all of the books you never bothered to read the endings of), you would notice I put as you can get in a big city. 10 Minutes to a mall is enough. I am sure it is perfectly fine for all one's needs, but I was simply pointing that out, and it could be perceived as good or bad, depending on the person. It is difficult to be in-the-middle-of-nowhere in the city anyways.

Oh, and I have been to Ottawa before and I have been near the Carleton campus (my cousin lived in Ottawa).
Was this helpful? Yes 0