yconic - Living solo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Living solo?

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
Has anyone lived in a single apartment, basement, etc before? How was it?

I'm living off-campus with 3 friends I knew from rez last year, and now I'm contemplating finding my own place for third year.

They're good guys (for the most part) but they can be douchebags at times and a bit much to handle. We've had some good times together, but something happened this past weekend that's making me second guess living with them next year. I guess I'm trying to decide if having my own place is worth pulling the plug on living with these guys, or if I may be reacting too hastily. I understand that people hit bumps in the road with their room/housemates, so what sort of boundaries would your roommates have to cross in order for you to actually want to pick up and leave?

Is having your own place too sterile and lonely? Or is having a whole entire place to yourself and living totally under your own terms awesome?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Having good or half-decent roommates > being on your own > having sh!tty roommates

If you're very introverted or very extroverted, then living on your own would be alright. I'm somewhere in the middle, so I've always enjoyed having roommates. I think it would be boring without them. I'd just keep an eye on any openings there might be at other friends' place... I'd say that there's a very good chance that at least one other person you know will also be wanting to move out of his or her current place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I'm also an "in the middle" person. That's why it's a con on my list to move into my own place. I could see it getting really boring at times.

One of the problems I didn't mention in my OP is that these guys feel a certain level of comraderie by drinking together every time they go out on a weekend. That's fine; I don't care. But while I'm not a non-drinker, I don't enjoy drinking more than once or twice a month. These guys, while they're usually good, actually show me a level of disrespect and alienation when I don't feel like drinking with them. It's a stupid problem that I never envisioned popping up, but it's becoming more and more apparent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Who knows? They might let up. Right now, you're probably just reacting hastily, like you suggested.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup, exactly why I'm giving it some time. I want to keep my options open by looking now (instead of looking in a couple of months when there's nothing left if the situation gets bad) but I'm not going to make a hasty decision soon if things get better.

Btw, off-topic question, but do you remember who your prof was for Expository Writing? (Freeborn?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I'm very introverted, and I wouldn't want a roommate...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gorges26 wrote
Btw, off-topic question, but do you remember who your prof was for Expository Writing? (Freeborn?)

Jamie Johnston. He's good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of toridlf toridlf
What would you guys recomend living in a doorm or living in a apartmen?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of NOIZmaker NOIZmaker
Like people have probably mentioned (didn't bother to read), it depends on you. If you're an introvert then it's expected that you'll be more comfortable living alone. If you're an extrovert then you'll welcome the idea of having a roommate. If you're an "in the middle" person then I suggest you live by yourself. I think a person will have more regrets having a roommate than living on their own. I just think there are too many variables when it comes to living with someone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0