yconic - Long Distance Relationships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Long Distance Relationships

A photo of Starstruck Starstruck
Is anyone committing to an LDR for next year (like I am)? On the other hand, are you leaving your high school sweetheart behind? Or are you swearing off love to focus on school? Stories or tips to share on the subject?

Just curious. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Haha well, I'm in one now.
He doesn't even live here in BC so I guess it's a little different.
I've known him for half my life though, so I guess that's why I put so much trust into our relationship.
If you're going to make that commitment, make sure that BOTH of you guys are willing to work extra hard at it, cuz it is tough.
A lot tougher than a normal relationship.
With all that distance comes a LOT more trust.
I mean, even with my bf and I, we called it off so many times cuz he found someone else..
but in the end, we somehow always found our way back to each other and I'm hoping it won't happen again.
I can go on about this for ten years but I don't wanna make this super long. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You have to be committed, that's for sure. A relationship that has only been in existence for a few months before going long distance is unlikely to last. If you don't truly feel perfect for one another, then it won't last.

How long is long distance for you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
we called it off so many times cuz he found someone else..
but in the end, we somehow always found our way back to each other and I'm hoping it won't happen again.

Yikes. You're poised for heartbreak. Either that or a psychotic break.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
we called it off so many times cuz he found someone else..

Yikes. You're poised for heartbreak. Either that or a psychotic break.

Hahaha, been there, dealt with that... -.-
But we've been okay for a year now so I'm gonna put some faith on our relationship and hope for the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You have to be committed, that's for sure. A relationship that has only been in existence for a few months before going long distance is unlikely to last. If you don't truly feel perfect for one another, then it won't last.

How long is long distance for you?

Long distance for me is, to be specific, Kingston to Waterloo. I've been with my boyfriend with over two and a half years with no breakups or anything like that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's not too bad. You can easily find cheap transportation between those two places. I'll go out on a limb and guess you're from Toronto - if that's the case, neither of you has far to go to get home, so you can easily see one another frequently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I heard university changes EVERYTHING.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Millow Millow
This is how it usually goes:

LDR = Cheating = Drama
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghana1994 ghana1994

@heesoup wrote
I heard university changes EVERYTHING.

I guess that's coz in uni, you meet LOADS of new people, and in the beginning, settling in takes a while (it's a big change), and the couple may not be able to keep in touch as regularly!

What some people do is, they break up before uni (mutually) and then settle down in uni and stuff. Then after a while, if they still wanna do a LDR, they do that. I think that's a good idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Tried it, didn't like it. Don't believe anyone who tells you "OMG long distance they're going to cheat!" It is certainly possible to have your boyfriend/girlfriend remain faithful in a long distance relationship.

To me, it was that our relationship was based on phone and MSN conversations and not on physically being together, which is what is so important in a relationship.

I got through it, but wouldn't do it again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
You would have to have a LOT of patience and mutual understanding to make long distance relationships work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KarZ KarZ
No long distance relationships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
To me, it was that our relationship was based on phone and MSN conversations and not on physically being together, which is what is so important in a relationship.

In a less mature relationship, yes, for sure; in a mature relationship that has gone on for more than a couple years, not so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
Tried it, didn't like it. Don't believe anyone who tells you "OMG long distance they're going to cheat!" It is certainly possible to have your boyfriend/girlfriend remain faithful in a long distance relationship.

I got through it, but wouldn't do it again.

I agree with Army - for once.
It's definitely possible, but it takes a lot more time and patience than a normal relationship would.

The phone and MSN conversation bit is true too. That's the way it is for me right now, but like Matt said, all the physical stuff doesn't matter so much in a mature relationship. You get past all that by the time a few years passes by and you really find that connection with the other person. Maybe it's different because I'm female and you're a male and you guys just seem to want so much more physical attention....

Anyways, back to the OP.
The distance isn't too bad, it's not like you're moving halfway across the country.
I'm sure there'd still be tons of chances to see your boyfriend since the ride over would only take a few hours? (Not familiar with Ontario since I'm not from there so I'm just guessing)
And if you guys have been together for that long, I don't think there'd be a problem honestly, especially if you guys have never separated in those two years.

But whoever said university changes everything, is partly right. University is not like high school at all.. you're definitely going to meet tons of new people, and tons of guys nonetheless. That doesn't mean that anything has to change. If you're the kind of the girl who isn't going to miss being near your boyfriend physically all the time and that whole physical commitment, I think your relationship will be fine. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ninjakat Ninjakat
Hey hun,

I've been dealing with a long distance relationship for a year and a half now. The entire relationship we've been 2 hours apart (by car) and 4 hours apart by transit.

It's very tough, we both work, he goes to school and I'll be in school this September. Honestly if hes a great guy, it will work. If you need time for school and he will give you space, then don't sweat it. I skype my boyfriend (almost) every night. Even if its just for an hour we talk. We text throughout the day, its tough and it hurts. But just keep in mind the long term goals, if you're super serious then it will work out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ninjakat Ninjakat

@Millow wrote

LDR = Cheating = Drama

You've obviously never met someone you trust in a LDR then. I could throw my boyfriend into a strip club, or a sea of woman and I could trust him. I see him one weekend a month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A little more input from my end: my gf and I actually mutually decided to part ways ("break up" is too harsh) before we went LDR. While we truly did love one another and think we were perfect for one another, we just thought a four-year long LDR would be too much. A few months later, we both decided that we could actually pull it off. I said something like, "whenever I meet a girl I might be interested in dating, I find myself comparing her to you, and she just doesn't come close." Sounds like a line out of a romantic movie, right? She was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Cool story, but you can apply it to your own case. When you meet a girl, ask yourself, "can I see myself dating this girl?" If your answer is always, "no way. She doesn't even compare with Helga, or whatever your gf's name may be," then you might just be able to pull of a LDR.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A little more input from my end: my gf and I actually mutually decided to part ways ("break up" is too harsh) before we went LDR. While we truly did love one another and think we were perfect for one another, we just thought a four-year long LDR would be too much. A few months later, we both decided that we could actually pull it off. I said something like, "whenever I meet a girl I might be interested in dating, I find myself comparing her to you, and she just doesn't come close." Sounds like a line out of a romantic movie, right? She was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Cool story, but you can apply it to your own case. When you meet a girl, ask yourself, "can I see myself dating this girl?" If your answer is always, "no way. She doesn't even compare with Helga, or whatever your gf's name may be," then you might just be able to pull of a LDR.

AWWWWE MATT..
That was sweet.
=']
That's like.. The Notebook material right there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

*fart*

There we go. That should end the sweetness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay, yeah.
That definitely killed it.
:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

I agree with Army - for once.

...Lol. :P
Also, Matt, adorable, flatulence aside...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ninjakat wrote

@Millow wrote

LDR = Cheating = Drama

You've obviously never met someone you trust in a LDR then. I could throw my boyfriend into a strip club, or a sea of woman and I could trust him. I see him one weekend a month.

Are you sure your boyfriend is a boy/man?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
And you call me mean....
Nothing wrong with having a loyal boyfriend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
^
And you call me mean....
Nothing wrong with having a loyal boyfriend.

I was just expressing my skepticism; that was a little hard to believe to be honest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A guy's really not going to do that much damage in a strip club. Check out the women, throw around and/or carefully place a few dollar bills, and then peace out. A lot of guys just do it for goofs anyways. Conversely, what guy wouldn't find it funny if hot cops showed up to a party his gf was holding? It'd be friggin' awesome.

Haha. That reminds me. Last New Year's Eve I was at a house party, slutty drunk girls everywhere, and the downstairs (this was a VERY big house, btw) CO detector kept going off, so someone called the fire department. The FD shows up, several slutty drunk girls think someone called in firemen strippers and start grinding on the firemen. The firemen were trying to act all professional, but you could tell they were interested. Haha. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0